Bet on Soldier

Cruis.In

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

...just what we need, yet another shooter. When will the madness stop? Seriously.

Does stopping the madness mean that in Battlecruiser Next Generation, when running through our ship chasing intruders in 1st-person mode we will get clubs (or fish) instead of guns?

j/k

I'm a fan of first person shooters, but I agree that most of the ones coming out are just carbon-copies of existing ones with a few tweaks here and there. This makes it much more difficult to choose an unknown game because you just don't know how similar it is to the six other identical ones you have on your shelf collecting dust, unless you get a demo for it, and even then what they show you in the demo may not be what you get in the end product. I guess this is why I usually buy a sequal to something that I have tried and enjoy rather than trying something new (which reminds me.....11 days to Battlefield 2 )

well since all game ideas (basic premise) have been used already, what more is left to do. Besides combine them in all in one game, where you get to go anywhere in the galaxy... oh yeah Derek is doing that.

BCNG... I am sorry you announced it so early. that isn't good for people's health you know. Like maybe only mine but still...

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

well since all game ideas (basic premise) have been used already, what more is left to do.

Give more variety on how to play the game to give it a better replay value. Many of the games are too linear in the fact that there is only one way to go from point A to point B (a lot of the time point A being the start of the game and point B being the ending credits.)

For me, the first two Splinter Cell games were like this. After playing them once, I really didn't feel like playing them again because nothing really would change. Deus Ex on the other hand was a great game. I could play it through over and over, changing my character's attributes and how I played each time. Some times I would go in guns a blazin through the front door, and other times I would try to sneak my way through the ventilation system.

I'm not saying that shooters are bad. Developers just need to combine them more with more RPG elements and open-endedness so the player feels that they are not just being led through the game, but that they are actually part of the game.

Just my .02

you could play deus ex more than once, I couldn't. even though deus ex was great/addictive and I loved it to death in all its coolness, I can hardly play through games again. In fact this game series is the only game I keep replaying.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

you could play deus ex more than once, I couldn't. even though deus ex was great/addictive and I loved it to death in all its coolness, I can hardly play through games again.

The first Deus Ex was really fun for me because it had a lot of RPG elements that allowed me to play it how I wanted. The second one had too much taken out of it so it could be released on the X-Box as well as the PC, and that really turned me off of that one. If they come out with a Deus Ex 3, I'll only buy it if it was like the first. If it's anything like the second then I'll pass.

quote:

In fact this game series is the only game I keep replaying.

UC is the first of this series that I have played, and I really enjoy it. It does seem to be lacking a little bit (for me) when playing in first person mode, but I'm hoping that UCAWA will fix that. Either way I'm still hooked.

fps is fine for me. cool gun sounds.. I just wish I could hear the PTA cannons blasting in space, since the beam weapons look cool and all. and shield impact fx... really louder. wishlist

hopefully in UCO or BCNG

• 4 weeks later...

I used to be a great FPS shooter fan, but it's all the same now. You just go through one linear level to end up in the next linear level. A lot of people feel this way but most gamedevelopers refuse to change the gameplay because they're afraid the game won't sell then. Frankly, I can't blame them, it's a tough business.

Lucky for us, there are still some developers working on ambitious non-linear titles, like Derek Smart even if they are taking risks. I can't wait until Battlecruiser Next Gen, I guess it will be the game of my dreams. In the meantime, I'm playing Boiling Point Road to Hell. It's a very buggy game but it's also very entertaining! A huge world to explore, with lot's of RPG elements, NPC's to talk to, vehicles to drive or fly, real time day/night cycle, weathereffects and more! I think the biggest key to succes for a game is to feature a HUGE seamless world, the ability to go up in experience and the ability to buy stuff. Having to save money for a weapon or item you really want adds something to a game, at least, that's my humble opinion. Furthermore, I really love atmosphere in a game. I think Universal Combat was definately a step in the right direction, I liked it very much.

Man, you explore a planet in a shuttle while your commandcraft hangs in orbit. That's the way it should be in a game! Again, I can't wait to play Battlecruiser Next Gen.