EVE Online

Darkling

Eve hits 15K concurrent players.

Though Eve isn't beating anyone on total subscriptions you have to hand it to them. There's Zero sharding, instancing or anything like that at all, yet they've managed to get 15 Thousand players on the same "Virtual World" at the same time. Technologically that's a HUGE Step.

Linkage

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No its not. They've just moving data. The game does not handle real-time positional updates.

I've been involved in Fleet battles involving over 100 ships in the game, and while you're right, a lot of the explosions, movement graphics and so on, is all estimated and not actual real time, it still "Works" and generally the team with the best combination of strategy & ships will prevail.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

No its not. They've just moving data. The game does not handle real-time positional updates.

I've been involved in Fleet battles involving over 100 ships in the game, and while you're right, a lot of the explosions, movement graphics and so on, is all estimated and not actual real time, it still "Works" and generally the team with the best combination of strategy & ships will prevail.

From my understanding of "massive" fleet battles, lag usually ends up as the winner.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

Thats why it works, because its not a twitch base update; unlike most traditional mp games.

quote:

Thats why it works, because its not a twitch base update; unlike most traditional mp games.

Well until games are designed from the get go to use ONLY 128MBs lines (finally get rid of 56K), I think it would be IMPOSSIBLE to create a game that is twitch based, AND can have more than 100 people in one area at a time. So until then, semi-turn based systems like SWG & EVE will be the norm.

hmmm, how come this doesn't come up from a forum search for eve online or eve-online?

oh well. it's true that the servers have had some problems when over 400 people got together in 1 system to shoot at eachother, but i play on a daily basis with an average of 11,000 other people and only once have i ever run into lag which actually caused me any sort of grief.

splad recalls his memories of playing WoW for a short time....always falling into that pit in ironforge because of lag.

• 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Mordax Blyrr:

WoW + red moon rising? I think u got something confused here, as WoW + Ironforge indicates World of Warcraft as far as I know.

No offense, just trying to keep this discussion going on two tracks in case WoW means something else to you Darkling.

Wow as in the expression, i.e. "Gee wow, that's nifty" type of thing, not World of Warcraft.

I stopped playing this game awhile back... mostly due to loss of interest

Got pretty high to, own my own battleship, and a mining ship to boot (is unsure whats left, as he's been gone since february) maybe I'll take a sneak back in

$ilk! What corp you in bro? I'm sure my guy is corpless now

If any of you pilots are looking for a straight shooting Corporation to join in Eve, look me up.

Timber Wolf Corporation.... Ziona V, Moon I, Imperial Armaments station.

No taxes...

No heavy handed rules....

We have the resources to put you in any ship that you are licensed to fly.

Which sector of space Wolferz? Amarr? Which? (Is currently in Amarr space, in his old corporate sector, which surprisingly, he is still IN his old corporation but the last email was dated back in february when it was suppose to be disbanded)

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

I finally got around to trying the 14 day trial. I quit after a couple hours. Seemed like a generic MMO with a spaceship faceplate.

Yes and we all know that it only takes a couple of hrs to figure out everything that you need to know about a game with Thousands of Stations, Areas of interests, and different play styles.

quote:

Originally posted by nomad:

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

We have the resources to put you in any ship that you are licensed to fly.

LOL. Will get back to you when I'am ready to fly dreads

Ditto for me give me another Month!

Has anyone in here been participating in the Recent Battles in JU and surrounding areas? These Fleet Battles have been pretty frikin Awsome lately, with each side bringing out Dreads to Boot! We lost 2 Dreads a week ago and repaid the favor yesterday and took out 2 of BOB's Dreads.

Sorry... I don't favor skill-less pvp, pvp in eve is just a point and click your weapons on, and hope that you have more trained skills than the other person. There's no such thing as "Dogfighting" or "hit and runs"

So I choose not to participate in pvp for this game. Only game that I play Pvp for is Planetside and WW2 Online

Although the cost of some minerals from mining has gone up *Sold 9000 units of Zydrine for over 50m *

I'm of the opinion that character skill based games require different player skills than games that are totally player skill-based. One focuses empahsis on the planning stage, while the other puts emphasis on the actual kill-things stage. Granted, most MMORPGs have be all, end all items that take away any of the planning required.

Nomad, which is the main reason I got a battleship outfitted for heavy combat, and a carrier outfitted as well. I may not like player vs player combat much, but that doesn't mean I'll sit ideally by and let them bash my hull in