Star Trek Legacy

Cruis.In

http://startrekforum.stgu.com/showthread.p...98004#post98004

It has been confirmed by Harry Wang of Paramount, star trek games to come out before STO, normal single and multiplayer games, the latest being Star Trek: Legacy which will supposedly blow us with the screenshots.

If it looks half as good as X3 I will be surprised.

[ 03-10-2006, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 1 month later...

Is anyone blown away by these shots released yesterday?

I didn't think so.

Bethesda should really stick to what they do best. But nevertheless, I sure hope they pull this off.

What isn't clear is what type of game it is. Is it an RTS? A sim? mass market drivel?

EDIT: OK, this interview answers my question above.

well... so you are watching this game... well I think personally this is another waste of plenty development man hours, and every other man hour that may go into making/marketing this game.

It is just the same drivel, with better looks and a better single player campagne(hopefully)

Because from reading the "famous" dr. ian davis interviews, he keeps reiterating that this games main focus is bringing starship combat to life and making it better than ever blah blah blah... enough of starship combat already, that is just one aspect of a game I want, that needs to be good...... If I want to just "starship combat" I can go replay all four SFC games, bridge commander... or play the mobile game coming out.

That being said I'll still buy it, im not being a hippocrite, I think the game will suck, and I want a more in depth (replayable) game... but in hopes of those coming down the line I support this endeavor.

I'd like a game like empire at war... or battlecruiser....

• 6 months later...

A month away from release.

It's been a while since we've visited this thread. I've watched the videos and read the interviews.

And here we have it, the best star trek starship combat sim ever made. It'll have the best graphics and gameplay.

And that's all it is, ship combat, how exciting. After the single player campagne and a few skirmishes I for one will shelve it. Probably sell it.

Sure its going to be fun, for a few hours. Put this combat in the star trek online game, then the development that went into this won't be wasted. a title like this will only sell because of the license fan base, who'd ever make a game with some ship combat and sell it?

• 1 month later...

star trek legacy:

Three years since the last trek game, a new publisher has emerged with a trek game studio veteran to create the latest greatest in star trek gaming. The innovation of this new game is unmatched, we've seen nothing like it before, and it's taken this long break, a new publisher and the "mad doc" himself to bring it to us.

Here it is

The often touted features of Star Trek Legacy. We've waited years to get our hands on these types of features.

I can see it now, controlling all the ships of each generation, something only done in mods for other games.

quote:

* Real time Starfleet combat. Engage in large-scale combat with dozens of warships fighting simultaneous battles across vast sections of space.

ah nothing like this has been done before, large scale combat? Dozens of warships? Excellent, I am almost peeing my pants.

quote:

* Dynamic three-dimensional battlefields. Beautiful space environments filled with fully realized nebulas, wormholes, planets, and stars. Intuitive controls allow players to quickly select targets and destinations in 3D space.

A must have, I cannot image a 21st century star trek game without a wormhole, a planet to visit, or stars to look at. Intuitive controls was probably so difficult to complete, I'm glad they were included and didn't get cut at the last moment.

quote:

* Detailed weapon effects and damage modeling. Weapons searing with energy and charged shields that surge with every hit. Ships with full damage modelingthat break apart, strewing debris and sparks.

Oh my lord! Weapons that sear with energy, and "charged shields" surge with every hit? This is a break through in graphical technology. I am sure those foolish starfleet command players never saw a shield surge yet.

quote:

* Customizable fleets, ships, and captains. Victories earn Command Points, which are used to personalize your fleet, ships, and captains.

Command points, excellent, do away with those silly "prestige" points from starfleet command series. I love that we can customize our ships and captains in this game. That is one feature I couldn't do without. It sells the game.

* Single player Federation campaign. Spanning three full epochs (Enterprise, The Original Series, and The Next Generation).

quote:

* Robust multiplayer. From small-scale engagements to all-out war involving multiple systems. Matchmaking, stat tracking, and player rankings.

I don't exactly know the exact meaning of robust, but I am sure they used it here for a reason, because there's never been any good multiplayer in any trek games before, certainly not worthy of the many hours wasted by starfleet command players on gamespy.

quote:

* Over sixty ships and four playable races. From small scouts and light cruisers to fearsome battleships. Command the powerful fleets of the Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Borg races. All beautifully rendered with the latest technology.

Excellent, fearsome battleships. I am sure to pee my pants. Commanding powerful fleets is what I've always wanted, damn it, why hasn't there been a game to do this before, why only starfleet command? Oh and to command the fleets of the federation romulans and borg? Illustrious. Anyone else would have made us pay for two expansions just to play the borg and the romulans. We are getting much value for our money.

And now seriously, if you haven't guessed yet this post is sarcastic, tell me, since when did weapons searing and shields surging, become a feature for a game?

Is this all anyone wants in a star trek game, it can't be.

Its marketing speak, I'd ignore it and wait for the real gameplay reviews to come out. I've bought both of Bethesda's other Trek games they've released (Tactical Assault for the DS and Encounters for the PS2) and while they're both a bit arcady, they're some of the better Trek games I've played in a very LONG while.

This is a good start for repairing the damage that Activision did to the Trek franchise. While it may not be perfect from what the box sounds like, it can't be worse than Armada 2 or Bridge Commander.

today is the scheduled release date for this game, its a feeding frenzy over on the startrek.bethsoft.com forums as the currently 1000 browsing members, are threatening, demanding, crying, laughing, cussing over the uncertainty of the games release. People have called stores and been told shipments are in route due to arrive tomorrow, so the doubt of the release date seems to be alleviated, and replaced with the need to have it now, since it is in fact en route.

Some retards in other regions are saying if there pre orders are not shipped by the said date, they will cancel and not order. What idiots, I don't believe them anyway, if you've waited this long for it, what's a couple more days?

Thats why i dont actively follow every day a games development, it's just long painful and boring.

I hope soon to be able to order it. Gamestop and ebgames always give my credit card trouble, never anywhere else... and amazon isn't shipping outside the U.S. Obvious because it's released by region and thats the us version. SO I dont know where to order international. There is no region release for caribbean

You know, some of the features that I've read will make you wonder if this game will be specifically designed for high end cards.

Debris falling off ships? That's something I've always wanted to see in a game (believe it or not) the closest game that has that damage model is Sword of the Stars, and even then it's very small.

We can only hope that they have done a good job, I'm just glad I upgraded my video card this past week (old one was beginning to show it's age)

As for reviews, meh, I trust the demo more because reviewers can be PAID OFF to make both good and BAD reviews.

After all, we've seen what happened to UC and BC, how poor the reviews where in reality both games where just the OPPOSITE of what the reviews said.

So don't trust the reviews, trust the demo!

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Debris falling off ships? That's something I've always wanted to see in a game (believe it or not) the closest game that has that damage model is Sword of the Stars, and even then it's very small.

I think Klingon Academy had debris that fell off of ships. Not much, just like a warp nacelle if the engines were badly damaged and stuff such as that. For the time I guess that game was pretty advanced though.

i think decks opened up in klingon academy, it wasn't a bad game, but again, besides the combat, what to do?

I ordered legacy from ogaming or something like that they ship international and have good stock. I hope that since they have it listed like everyone else, that they are included in this first shipment and i dont get placed on back order. I believe they charged my card already which shouldnt be for a pre-order should it...?

There is a fear in the bethsoft forums that they haven't anticipated the demand for the game... and that there will be a shortage. Maybe initially, its been my experience with st games last one being starfleet command, which was a really popular game because it hadnt been done for star trek before, and had a nice take on ship combat in real time, that they will sell hot and fast at first, like 100,000 real quick, but total sales wont be too high.

we'll see, where can one monitor sales since pcdata went dead?

Klingon Academy has 'something' like that but it wasn't that great, in fact, it was the only simulator game that had that.

SOTS is not a simulator, it's a strategy game.

Either way though, we'll just have to find out.

And I wish I could answer your question Cruis.In, but the site I usually go to died a few months ago..

i ordered it from ogamingstore.com

40 u.s shipping cripes... anyway thats why i dont get too many games anymore, too much shipping.

check this for some fun.

http://startrek.bethsoft.com/forums/index....pic=2998&st=100

I tried to bring order to chaos over there, by getting them to unite in one thread when they got it, by posting a I got it thread, but they just moved there disorganized easter egg and witch hunt to my thread, with no posts of i have it yet..

That was funny.

Picture if you will..

A long line of trekkies camped outside a Gamestop, in the rain,and someone thinks it would be funny to drive by firing a phaser at the crowd.

I guess they just can't wait to become Captain Janeway.

767 User(s) are browsing this forum (579 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

188 Members: Cruis.In, oldspice, HD Man, warpish, Nemesis, Nomad, Silver Comet, MattyNoNeck, Ex Malterra, BeamerMT, Miri's HOT!!!, saxman, cigic, Jaen, Cpt.O'Neall, Acidrain, Delta Assault, stormcthulhu, robrazor, Cracked1701, Galaxie500XL, Poptart, hsch, Hellswaters, Solomace, Takvah, DarkDragon, dimensionmedia, Victor1st, tehWaqbbit, xnode, William, Dale, Aetheron, space_gator, Reckert, Two Roads, mr_negativity, CPT REDRUM, zach21uk, Timeless, sethie, Johnny D, EvilQuail, RMoore, IonParticle, Tyramsey, CaptFearless, eagle200x, NinjaCool, Archanon, Jaz, Lochaber, Kallave, Trickster, writeall, mongoosed, zegon, Ranger, slanky, ParraCida, Intangible 360, acky12, Sorbert, Turk, MadMax, Rider, ozone76, Barihawk, CaptainCrunch, houseman05, sozobon, F9th0mega, ghost_genesis, Quinky, Bibbins, zipthebunny, Lpokie, ph4zed, Painman, Eloquence, Delphi-Newt, El-ViRus, Zin, Neumann, Balok, Mavrixx, LegacyFan18, Maziwrath, CoolManDan, CrazyHorse, Mailman653, MysteriousDarkness, dbdbdb, davros72, TheBot, CaptainX, Speedee, Plimp, Rostam, Denver, Valjean23, CaptainBoogiman, The Leek, Stiletto2, Teradyn, LordRikerQ, Bodyslide, demon340, Xindi, crusisv1, ViciouslyUnkind, Stule, Willetts, Rufi, ar12, diforce, Statius, kshawks, Mostly Human, JamieK, _Master__Yoda__, Darth_Trekster, Tophat, Axess2084, mmhSenf, SPOCK, Chris Jones, squiggyfm, fangs, stevo123, Hammer of Thor, STLrocks, myownsling, NCC1975, shadycenturion, @-Ace-@, Lt. Commander Tom, Whis, invncr, Scimitar, IDF, Moonraker, Scarecrow, Stuie, LedZepp, {UFP}Dodgers, max loef, selgarde1, Viperius, RSC-Fenix, Yurikhan, zacparis, Maximus1978, Legacy Boss, Jan, dbarber20, bigd592, sentinel, Benn00, esign travis, eaglesfan7312, accurus, Khail, Captain Mattirex, garp78, perpetuum_mobile, KidInTheHall, ShadowRising, Dan Thompson, stereo55, Tommithy, TimeLord, NeoShadow, darren_1303, akula, CTRob, Growler67, Kadratis Velevere, Lieutenant SED, raizer, Ashram Darkstar, ozzfloyd, Reign1701A, Rogue Vulcan, recovery, 343 Guiltyspark, SideSwipe9th

the game is getting into a few peoples hands now. Lol this is funny watching it unfold. And inserting my own snide remarks here and there, which quickly get swalled by 40 posts at the same time.