Das Boot and Silent Hunter 3

John Prezioso

This week, I sat down and watched 'Das Boot', one of my favorite war movies of all time. (And I've probably seen around 90% of what's out there, domestic AND foreign.)

I guess I got the U-boat bug, 'cause I bought Silent Hunter 3 from D2D the next day. All I've got to say is, "Wow."

Simply put, SH3 is like no war sim I've played before. What a fantasticly immersive simulation. I swear, you'll feel like Jurgen Prochnow as you man the bridge with your first officer in rough seas hunting allied tonnage.

I couldn't help but feel that some people here might enjoy the game if they would try it, even if they have had no previous interest in sub sims. The feel of the sim is very similar to AWA in many respects.

Definitely a 5-star game.

Wait until you attack an armed convoy (if you haven't already)....That's when things get REALLY interesting. Nothing like firing off a bunch of torpedos then diving deep and hoping that your torpedos find their targets but the enemy doesn't find you, then trying to escape as depth charges are exploding all around you.

What settings do you guys use when you play? I usually have about a 80-84% realism, allowing only the event camera, no dud torpedos, camera stabilization, and sometimes external view (just because I love looking at the outside of my boat as it glides through the water). Other than those things I try to keep it fairly realistic. It's really cool how they let you plot your own firing solution (never knew what that meant until I played this game.)

I've never been able to try multiplayer on SH3 because I can't ever find any games on UBISOFT's server, but maybe some time a few of use can get together and form a wolfpack.

You might consider "Dangerous Waters" as well. It doesn't come near SH3's perfect graphics and gameplay, but once you get the hang of it, it's very entertaining. There's a demo available for download if you look for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Matchoo:

What settings do you guys use when you play?

Mush Morton always let his executive officer handle the periscope while Mush stood at the plotting board planning the approach and attack ... so I give my exec the same capability. The rest is set to max realism.

Btw, if you don't like bad weather, find a day when the weather is to your liking ... then save and exit the game every 24 hours of game time. The weather (and moon phase, for that matter) will never change.