First Impressions

Supreme Cmdr

Post your thoughts here. And please, no fanboy stuff. Keep it real. Keep it focused. Say what you like, don't like etc etc otherwise.

Do NOT post tech support issues in here please.

[ 08-16-2005, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Graphics are a major improvement. I basically maxed out the settings for the game and it seems to run smoothly on an NVIDIA GeForce 6600.

2) Stability. UC would CTD every 30 minutes. I fiddled with the drivers and everything to no avail. UC AWA I left running for several hours while I had dinner and wasted time doing other non-geeky things. Did NOT crash.

3) Documentation. Nice improvement, I like the configuration options pdf, the tutorial, and the keyboard commands all in nice seperate files. At some point having the appendix in a pdf file would be nice but it is no big deal.

Gotta play some now back later

Got my copy this afternoon. Installation went fine, had some issues typing in my CD key in the MP window (user error)

Game runs fine with as many of the bells and whistles I can find turned on so thats a nice treat. I did start getting texture corruption with the skybox and HJ tunnel after returning from Tacops but it could be driver related (upgrading now)

beyond that everything seems good will do a more detailed sandbox session in a bit and then break out the ACM.

Small bug.

1) Started a ROAM campaign ( megaron )

2) Bought a Linear IV shield upgrade

3) Upgrade box in the Logistics section

lists the shields to upgrade. Instead of a

Tacyon Anagram it read I/Audio_Tapes.

I/Audio_Tapes is #419 in the Items.ini

I think it should be #439 (T.A. Anagram). This is in several of the assets in the assets.ini file. I don't really want to mess with these scripts...(scared).

quote:

Originally posted by sckid1108:

Small bug.

1) Started a ROAM campaign ( megaron )

2) Bought a Linear IV shield upgrade

3) Upgrade box in the Logistics section

lists the shields to upgrade. Instead of a

Tacyon Anagram it read I/Audio_Tapes.

I/Audio_Tapes is #419 in the Items.ini

I think it should be #439 (T.A. Anagram). This is in several of the assets in the assets.ini file. I don't really want to mess with these scripts...(scared).

I've actually fixed that in the upcoming patch. I'll probably upload the revised .INI file in a bit.

Problem is that I removed an item but forgot to update the table. doh!

EDIT:I have released an updated INI file to solve this. Check here.

quote:

Originally posted by sckid1108:

Keep getting CTD's every 30 minutes.

Looks like you have the same problem you did with UC. That leaves me to conclude that you have issues on your machine. Nothing I can do about that unfortunately.

quote:

Originally posted by macinlew:

Any chance of supporting wide screen resolutions? I would like to play at my monitors native 1920x1200.

Read the FAQ; I think I added an entry which shows you how to hard code a resolution by editing the UCCONFIG.INI file. Its 100% NOT supported; so if you get display glitches, you're on your own.

Even then, I seriously doubt that you'd be able to get good performance at that resolution.

[ 08-16-2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

The next person to post a tech support issue in this thread - or post anywhere on this board without a profile sig, will be perma-banned. No exceptions.

There is a tech support forum.

There is a forum - containing an email address - for CD-Key registration issues.

The game is 100% stable and we have NO CTDs to speak off. If your system does not meet with the requirements for the game - or you're running on a borderline system or have been screwing around with the Config options without paying attention to the warnings, you only have yourself to blame.

Guest MarlboroMan

I recently received my copy from bmt micro. The first thing I noticed, no Dreamcatcher logo. Nice improvements on the graphics. Must have been that extra coat of turtle wax. Ground combat in roam mode is better enabled. I never had so much fun seeing my atv get hulled. Asset switching to ground fixed units still not what it could be,...ie better range of pitch on turrets to shoot down enemy air units. Performance issues aside, I'd still like to see the capturing of enemy bases enabled. Enemy carriers and cruisers in space still don't do much when you attack them. When UC was first released there was always the chance an enemy carrier would engage your ship. Overall, however, it's definitely an improvement on UC.

System info

sys specs

Yeah, I have a few things related to the ground asset switching that I need to re-think and redo in a future patch.

As for the pitch, they won't pitch more than 45 degrees and thats normal. If they pitched any higher, the bit where the barrel is connected, will intersect the body of the model. Besides, even in real life military units, the pitch of guns has a restricted range of pitch.

No AI revisions were made to the behavior of cap ships; so I have no idea what you're talking about in that regard.

Guest MarlboroMan

I see what your saying about the pitch on the turrets. They're still fun to use and they look really nice now. When I first installed version 1 of UC, without the patches, the auto generated capital ships seemed more aggressive, but maybe thats just due to the career and ship types I chose. Not being picky, but with the working ods systems, improved graphics, and ground vehicles that actually shoot back, it's pretty hard to complain.

Happy Hunting.

System info

sys info

Got my copy today via BMT. The game installed no sweat and is running smooth as silk. The graphics are great and the models are gorgeous. The new effects for hyperjumps and explosions are very cool. The sounds seem less harsh to me and much more immersive.

This may sound silly, but my favorite game change so far is the subtle flash when ships warp into your sector. That's a nice touch that heightens my awareness of what's around me.

Kudos to you and your team SC. It's going to be a great weekend.

Ok, I've had a few hours of play now so I can comment a little bit.

First off the graphics.

The game just looks awesome. The metallic reflective look on the ships and space stations is great! Yeah, I know this DX9 effect gets used to death in many games, but it really fits here. Everything in space is so improved... HJ effects, shield effects, damage effects, space backgrounds, ship and station models etc.

Nice job all around. There are some new space station models that I haven't seen before very nice!

I've only spent a few minutes planetside but I was really impressed with the ground textures. If I can drag myself away from the space combat side of the game I'm definately going to have to spend some more time on the planets.

Sound - Very solid, nice explosion/effect sounds great music and I've always loved the background crew chatter make me feel like part of the collective....

Stability - I was having a bit of an issue with crashing but lowering the DX sound acceleration seems to have stopped it. So far so good since then.

Gameplay - What's to say, I've been playing for several hours now and I haven't even scratched the surface of the things to do in the game.

so much to do, so little time...

sigh..

quote:

Originally posted by Andergum:

Stability - I was having a bit of an issue with crashing but lowering the DX sound acceleration seems to have stopped it. So far so good since then.

Actually I lowered my sound accel. settings down one notch since UC. It helps a lot with stability in most games.

For our next games (after UCAWA and the upcoming UCG), we're switching to a different sound engine (OpenAL) instead of using the basic DirectSound/3D in DirectX.

As for the terrain. heh, just WAIT until you see the new improvements being targeted for the next game.

btw, anyone played the EFP campaign through yet? If so, there is a thread over here.

A little update on the ACM... I move slow

With the commander ACM I finished the first mission... nearly had one trasport get through but luckily I had my forces defending all exit points to Jupiter and a fighter in pluto and mars to catch anything else. That mission finished and I didn't get any -EP's so I guess I did everything right. I started the second mission but the transport gets destroyed well before I can get anywhere near my patrol zone... will have to think about that a bit before I finish it.

First Impressions on Multi-Player Server.

1) GameGCQ, my client crashed on me. Don't really care because....

2) I set up a multiplayer (GUI) Server (SCKID's UCAWA) in *MAYBE* 5 minutes.

Totally stable, very very easy configuration. This morning I saw somebody login so I know that they can see the server behind my hardware firewall.

I really like the simple TACOPS interface and that it runs in a windows so I can do some other minor things with my PC while the server runs. I would like to see a list of server commands that is accesible from the GUI ( or it exists and i don't know it ).

If some people login into the server let me know how it runs ( i set it up for 10 people) on DSL. I use SBC DSL and my uplink speed actually gets pretty high since I am really close to a new repeater and DSLAM router here in the silicon valley.

Really nice work on the server.

-sckid

The Beastie is getting long in the tooth but turning some options down and closing some other programs helped.

I like when the ship elongates and fades out as you go into hyper. Nice effect. Enemy fighters don't seem to tear you to shreds as bad. PTA's are killer deadly. I enjoy watching the enemy fighters' shields and armor drop so quickly. PTA's aren't always deadly to enemy fighters but I like the balance. Some die, some don't.

Pretty good so far.

Guest Chavis

I particularly like the IA scenarios.

Any way to roll the ones from the demo into the main game?

Some are the same,but the demo versions used different ships.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Flipping awesome.

This game is begining to become so refined in its ease of play without sacrificing the simulation and depth that its going to be nie impossible for these DS haters to give this game a bad review.

Nearly all the irky issues i have had over time have been resolved. Now you can easily hyperjump to planets and stations etc without the drudgery. The FPS mode is greatly improved. It still needs some work but its far better than it was. The graphics engine is on par now. Its a pretty smooth experience.

I played the game on my "other system".. and ouch. So i did a little upgrade to this.

Sempron 3300+ at @2150mhz.

1GB DDR 400

Radeon X850pro @546/580

Now i am playing 1024x768 with all options to high with 4xFSAA and 16X Quality AF. Fraps is reporting from 30-100's Depending on the situation smooth as buttah.

This is steadily morphing from a "cool game" to a Great Game.

quote:

Originally posted by Chavis:

I particularly like the IA scenarios.

Any way to roll the ones from the demo into the main game?

Some are the same,but the demo versions used different ships.

Well, game demos usually use final game content. I deliberatly revised the demo scenarios so that they weren't exactly the same. If I find time, I will merge in the actual demo scenarios into a patch.

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

that its going to be nie impossible for these DS haters to give this game a bad review.

You're kidding right? You're forgetting that its a Derek Smart game. Its a BC game. There is nothing good about either of those two entities as far as detractors are concerned.

quote:

The FPS mode is greatly improved. It still needs some work but its far better than it was.

Yeah, its not a traditional fps game, so its a bit rough around the edges in some aspects.

quote:

Now i am playing 1024x768 with all options to high with 4xFSAA and 16X Quality AF. Fraps is reporting from 30-100's Depending on the situation smooth as buttah.

There have been some significant optimizations in the upcoming 1.00.03 patch and which make it even smoother and faster.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

The Fps mode could use a little tweaking.

1. You can get "stuck" on vehicles, crawl all over them and eventually somehow get released and get away

2. Im not really keen on the bouncing off the vehicles etc.

3. Weapons could use a bit more flair/Kick. Some more intense animations, some "kickback" effect and some heaver sounds.

4. There are a few other things with movement and physics etc.

For a wide angle sim game though its pretty good though.

Guest c0m4ndo46

Ew, .. i couldnt even figure out how to shot a missile, and the tutorial has 71 pages.. i dont have the whole life to learn how to play this, stupidly complicated.

*Deletes the demo.*