First Impressions

Supreme Cmdr

so I go buy it anyway, just to give it a shot, even though that first IA mission seems to make no possible sense, and discovered it has the same problem the older ones have, three problems that I encountered.

1. The AI is still stupid, I lost two pilots, they died despite only tiny amounts of damage to their ships, bad luck I suppose, so I send out two shuttles to tow them, no problem, the shuttles tow them back to me, and when I give them the deliver order, they turn off their tractor beams and sit there...wtf?? So I try again...nothing...

2. While I'm sitting there, even though combat happened 650000 miles away, a bunch of intruders suddenly show up on my ship, even though I have my shields up, weapons armed, scanning away, somehow someone must have flown up to my ship, boarded me and I didn't know, because I'm pretty sure space marines DO NOT have hyper drives...

3. No CTD but instead if anythings running in the background, the game randomly locks up and when windows kicks in to dump prep the kernel for error reporting, it can't, I have to END PROCESS on UCAWA or the bloody thing never finishes, and once that's done it crashes every program running with no error messages...nice...

Would you like to illuminate on these two issues Mr. Smart? And let me know if I should be filing a bug report on this last issue or if it's a known issue??

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Hmm... seems to me like you should give it some time, get to know the game a little better. And yes, there is much to understand when first trying the game. Try the toturial. Read the manual. Search the forum.

2. Have you ever heard of the term "cloaking device"? If a ship is cloaked it can still send intruders but you won't be able to see it.

3. Are you running with the most recent update? (try running the game updater). Else see the FAQ where some tweaking in case of trouble is suggested.

quote:

Originally posted by Grimm Spector:

so I go buy it anyway, just to give it a shot, even though that first IA mission seems to make no possible sense, and discovered it has the same problem the older ones have, three problems that I encountered.

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. You obviously installed the game and played it, without spending any time reading the manual or playing the tutorial.

The game AI - the most advanced anywhere - isn't and never was stupid. If you knew how the game actually worked, you'd know that. If a ship take impact damage and a pilot gets injured enough, they will die. Nothing to do with AI. Pilots will take damage if they are inexperienced.

Intruders usually come from cloaked ships. They only beam into your ship from the current region. Nowhere else.

You have no business running anything in the background when playing a game.

Please don't send me any bugs reports (or any further PMs about your mad coding skillz. I don't care. If you're a programmer, go write your own game) because anything and everything is already fully documented.

Cruiser I understand the cloaking device concept, but it happens so often that it's simply not possible.

As far as your other comments go Mr. Smart, you evidently didn't properly read the post, I understand the pilot get's injured. I doubt your AI is terribly advanced, you spend too much time praising yourself for that, and the fact that your shuttles do my aforementioned issue of failing in their simple script of bringing an object to me and activating the 'recovery routine' as it were, shows that there is a flaw. Since you are failing to provide product support at this point, since you don't want to hear about your bug, you will receive a charge back, as I'm unsatisfied with the quality of the purchase. Have a nice day.

quote:

Cruiser I understand the cloaking device concept, but it happens so often that it's simply not possible.

I don't know if I'm a 100% correct in this, but I've read in the documentation that you can buy an artifact so you are able to detect cloaked ships as well. I guess this would solve your problem???

What goes for the AI, I would say, that I also wondered about the AI capabilities when I first bought the game. But then I decided to let my pilots get to level 100 AI to see what happened.

The result is that the pilots actually never miss to comply to an order, and by training their dog fighting skills, they are now actually quite a match for any foe.

I think the game is more complex than you are able to see at first impression. You need to find out on your own what works and what does not work under the rules defined by the game, and not to assume at once that the game is flawed.

I think this game is as much a simulation of AIs and how these operate in a given environment as it is a combat simulator. I think this makes the game so unique and exciting.

I think that if Derek just wanted to program some pilots which just follows orders and do the exact same thing every time you issue a command it would have been A LOT easier to write, and really not what he was trying to accomplish.

Do yourself a favour, try out the game some more ....

quote:

Originally posted by Grimm Spector:

As far as your other comments go Mr. Smart, you evidently didn't properly read the post, I understand the pilot get's injured. I doubt your AI is terribly advanced, you spend too much time praising yourself for that, and the fact that your shuttles do my aforementioned issue of failing in their simple script of bringing an object to me and activating the 'recovery routine' as it were, shows that there is a flaw. Since you are failing to provide product support at this point, since you don't want to hear about your bug, you will receive a charge back, as I'm unsatisfied with the quality of the purchase. Have a nice day.

The AI system is not running a script.

The AI system is self learning and adaptive.

The orders to tow a ship and return it is not running on a script.

You have already exhibited numerous times (and sevral deleted posts), that you have NO clue what you're talking about. You think that throwing out conjecture and nonsensical theories which are in no way, shape or form based on facts, let alone reality is going to go down well around here.

Here - as has been said numerous times - we value quality over quantity. This is not a kiddie forum and everyone here is required to have a fully functioning brain. Everyone here is also required to check their egos at the browser refresh button.

If you can't take time to learn how to play the game, then don't play it.

What makes you any better than, say, Cruiser? He reported what he thought was an issue with the PTA coverage on his favorite ship. His post sparked my interest and I immediately investigated and was able to find - and fix - the problem. Thats how we do things around here.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hi.. I downloaded UCAWA almost 2 weeks ago now. (awsome that we can just digitaly DL it now.. )

And basicaly it is running great. A few little glitches here and there which i wil mention in tech support... (once i get my system info up to date.... still waiting for the URL email )

I played BCM a few years ago.. so im familiar with the game... but not with the UC release.

First impressions are...

graphics are a huge improvement....

game stability is much better... a few CTD that were understandable. (i had magor probs with BCM stability) there seems to be a prob with perscan, on my system, causing CTD. but i'll bring that up in the apropriate forum. But all in all.... with corect use of save anywhere feature the game is definatly stable enough. (my system is above recomended in every aspect)

Seems easyer to Assult space Stations now. I only use cruisers atm. (i'll get into carriers later ) But the 4 stations that i have atacked seemed to vary in difficulty. I am assuming different station types will be easyer/harder to capture. Which is a good thing. Still waiting for day 3 so i can get that Tacheon Shield up and operational.

Music is great... but i loved the mad guitar work that was in BCM... bring some of that back...

Sound as well.... noticable improvements. Guns explosions .. all improved nicely.

The whole game seems to have been fine tuned very well. And has become quite enjoyable to play. And in my experience the improved stability had alot to do with that.

The best part about roam mode is you can do whatever you want. Your mission is only limited to your IMAGINATION!!. Im Looking forward to setting up a ground assult with a few marines by my side... some ground craft.... fleet comand/controle to order in some air support.. and go nuts FPS style with a machine gun

2 thumbs up..

quote:

What makes you any better than, say, Cruiser? He reported what he thought was an issue with the PTA coverage on his favorite ship. His post sparked my interest and I immediately investigated and was able to find - and fix - the problem. Thats how we do things around here.

Well said SC.

I just downloaded the tutorial(video) and I have read some good reviews. I have the original BC, BCM, BCMG, and UC.

[ 01-10-2006, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: StarRider ]

Hey, thought that rather than starting some useless thread to say hi I might as well make my first post in this thread and also tell Derek what a great game he has made.

I bought Battlecruiser Millennium Gold about a year ago because I had heard about the Battlecruiser series on The Underdogs while looking for a good space sim game. Think I spent a week reading the manuel before I even installed the game, and another week starting various new games and testing out different things before I got the hang of it. Ended up loving the game though.

Just recently bought UC:AWA and I must say it looks much better and the sounds are wonderful. I am especially impressed by the updated look to all the ships. Been working through the commander campaign in my free time recently, and I believe I am on TOD4 (I just finished up everything in Tau Ceti).

Did I post first impressions? I don't think so. But my impression of UCAWA is short and sweet; I have not played a battlecruiser game so addictively since bc3k 2.0. and in all my 7 or so years of battlecruising.

If I went in depth I could probably put my finger on what seems to be the key things that are making the difference for me with AWA. But the game is just never boring, the situations you can get in and the means to get out of them are so dare I say (realistic).

The graphics are good, the beam weapons thick and harmful. The combat engaging. The gameplay, stuff you can do with your ship and crew and your alter ego are engaging.

I am almost going to be sad to leave behind AWA at the release of a game that goes back to its namesake, namely BCNG.

• 1 month later...

I bought UC in 2004 and loved it.

Once I discovered that the new UCAWA was downloadable, I immediately grabbed my wallet.

I am a space nut who is actually in the field in real life (NASA). While I'm not terribly big into combat, I do love the immersive universe and the ability to land on planets and explore them, find and trade artifacts etc.

The top reason for me purchasing this new version of UC was the planet detail. Fabulous improvement over UC. I love the terrain and foliage improvements.

I realize that the game is centered around combat, hence the name, I would like to see more "stuff" on the planets such as caves, pyrmids, ancient ruins, etc. More things to "do" on planets. Search for life on a planet that is thought to possibly support it. Things for the scientist to do. Maybe we find life on planet X and THEN combat breaks out! LOL Even discovering new races would be cool. Planets and moons that are located in uncharted and hidden regions that contain new life form or races.

I also realize that this would slow the combat hungry gamers down in framerate and thus is not currently possible.

Maybe adding these planetary features in it's own mode (which would not contain combat, a true "explorer" mode)? Maybe a seperate game entirely (using the UC engine)? Just ideas from a person who has been looking for a good interstellar space travel / exploration game for years. It just happens to be that a space combat sim is the best I have found. Go Figure!

I do dabble in combat and I find the AI in UCAWA to be devastatingly efficient. It is harder to get to your destination without eating a warhead or ten. I would like to see a difficulty setting for the scientist who is a wannabe war commander.

I like the lighting effects on the ships, I like the hyperdrive effects and I love the new jumpgate look. Much better than the "broken hourglass" look of UC.

I love the complexity of the controls. That's another thing that attracted me to this title. You don't control the Space Shuttle with a joystick and 4 buttons. You have to read a manual (lots of them) and go to school to fly a spacecraft. It's very authentic feeling. Keep up the good work SC and keep the acronyms coming. I feel right at work with them LOL.

All in all, this is the most pure GAME you'll ever find for 30 bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings.

The likes:

- To see a Dev so immerse in the comunity as to come to feel he's a player himself (one of "us").

- To actualy see a game that cates to the active part of the brain instead of the so common get-and-go games of today.

- The hyperjump effect (altho a bit bright) adds up to the feeling of speed.

- Character portraits look way better.

- Graphics in general look even better then in UC, which I dont care much since I prefer a game with substance, but its always nice to have.

- All ship sounds is definitly a plus.

- Same level of great exploration as in the previous title.

The dislikes

- I wasn't the creator of this game.

• 3 months later...

My first impressions can be summed up in one word : "Wow". fps mode is much more smooth then in UC or BCM and does feel to a sort like an actual fps.

i'll just divide my impression into the usual review:

Graphics- imo the reviews and general populace don't do the game justice , i find the graphics to be top-notch. sure you don't have all the fancy shadows or what not but it serves it's purposes and is generally appeasing for the game of this genre. btw is it me or did resnig get a haircut since bc3k?

Sound - not that far off from the older titles , loved the new music though.

Gameplay - not that much new but having consistancy in the series can be a good thing. as i've mention before , loved the new ground unit handling.

i still get an occasional crash while messing around with the oddball ground unit (ie mobile forward base) but the game's far more stable then previous titles.

overall : 9/10 (would have been a 10/10 if i'd seen some new assets or at least old ones coming back , ie the mechs in bc3k even )