NPC marines disappear after given dock orders

Matchoo

I was playing a few minutes ago and just for fun I landed my CC on the surface of the moon, transported myself and 5 marines to the surface, and then put 2 cargo pods on the surface to give them some target practice. We destroyed one cargo pod and when I targed the other I noticed the marines had an option of docking with the cargo pod. I figured why not (I think I know now why) and when I did it they ran over to the cargo pod and then disappeared. After that I couldn't get them back. They were listed in perscan as being on the moon, and I could see them the tactical computer, and when I looked at their stats I could see that they were getting pretty hungry where ever they were. I even looked at the contents of the cargo pod and all that was there was the 1 nutripak I had put in it.

Is this just something I shouldn't do if I ever want to see my marines again, because I've had the same thing happen if I tell them to dock with a gunship on the surface too, and I have yet to find a way to use them afterwards.

Please use descriptive post subjects or the thread will be deleted next time.

[ 06-19-2006, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

heh, well the docking ability has always been there for NPC units which are left around during an engagement. Which is why the order exists for those who want to use it to remove NPCs from the gameworld and thus improve their game's processing.

But once they dock, you can no longer interact with them because they no longer exist in the 3D game world. They exist only in data form, hence the reason you can see them in Tactical and Perscan.

Next time, don't do it for your marines because they too are NPC units.

That makes sense. I just didn't know if there was a way to get them back into the 3D world, but it sounds like currently there isn't.

Also sorry about the original title. I thought it might be good to have a spot for those questions that might be valid but also might just be so ridiculus that it might be safer not to ask. Next time I'll make it relevant to the issue.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have a gameplay quirk that I discovered in UCCE. I am bumping this thread as it is the closest to the problem I am having and I am not sure it warrants a new thread.

I have transported down a mixed 4 member squad of marines to take out some ground targets. 2 AF marines and 2 RF marines. After a few seconds the RF marines TTD disappears and they are no longer selectable either by clicking on them or using the Zoom menu.

They still show up in Tactical and Perscan. One RF marine is even shown in the Video window in Tacops. I have save games and screen shots if needed.

Any input from anyone who has experienced this would be gratefully appreciated.

Yes you are correct. I noticed it when I just sent some marines down to take out a couple of sams and I didn't set up for a major operation. If you don't designate a target for operations then you cannot give them orders and you cannot transport them out if there is no TTD. I was using the transporter to pop them in and out.

This next is not empirical but I have now observed that their TTD disappears when they go prone. Upon further experimentation I got one TTD back briefly when one RF marine went back to a kneeling position, then a few seconds after going prone the TTD disappeared again.

Thanks for the info. I haven't used the PLV very much as I haven't engaged in a lot of planetary operations. It appears that it is time to rectify my deficiency in that area.

Have you ever noticed that foes never seem to detect you when you (or anyone) goes prone? I guess that's related, must be you go to a low radar profile or some technocrap like that. Just make sure your marines aren't smart enough to think about going prone :). And beam Resnig down too, just to make sure the AI level of the whole team stays low!

And keep the smart ones onboard, never rely on some rookies to defend you command craft!

Yeah, I had already figured I'd send Resnig down with a shuttle instead. I think you have a point about going prone. Perhaps the SC can take a look at it but there are acceptable workarounds for now. If this thread doesn't get any attention I may post a new one.

Very well then. It appears that I have been simply mis-using RF marines. It must be an acute case of Resnigitis! :whoa: My intelligence is on life support. Pray for me boys and girls. :boohoo:

• 1 year later...

My Apologee's, I asked this on a 2-year-old post about docking, it seems this thread answers my question. Telling my Fleet Carriers to Dock With starbase LV130 in orbit, only causes them to "vanish" and i can no longer return them to the game world? so replenishing their fighter compliments are is of the question? Yes Yes and Yes?

Edit: make that "Yes, Yes and No" ? It seems Rabids fighter craft are replenishing automatically.