BCM v1.0.04 RC1 Patch Released

Supreme Cmdr

This patch is only available locally.

VCF to reflect what is contained in it.

The second issue in the bugs section, has still not been reproduced and am going to classify it as a no-bug and remove it unless the person who reported it, sends me a saved game (prior to the CTD occurence).

The first issue is still being investigated and can only be reproduced in the submitted saved game (which already has that occurence) and not in a new game. Still looking into that one.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

...as I type this, I am sitting here on the patio (with kids running around making quite a din) with my trusty old laptop, wondering why the heck this b*stard NPC marine I just re-trained to take cover from incoming fire, is still bumrushing me.....with an empty ZS10 clip. Fool.

Oh well, its Christmas, he must've had too much eggnog.

Ah the life of a dev; always fun an' games

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

look at his AI % chief. You'll see the reason. He's an idiot

I did! I had a debug printout which shows all his stats. He had a fairly average AI rating IIRC. I guess what trying to see if he could beat me with the butt of the rifle.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

"
Click! Click!
I'll kill you!
Click! Click! Click!
I'll annoy you
Click! Click! Click!
until you commit
Click! Click!
suicide!
Click! Click! Click! Click! Click! Click!...
"

That is EXACTLY what he was doing!!

Man those empty clip clicks are annoying. I'm going to increase the 3D sound range in an upcoming patch. This way, you won't hear sounds like that, including those annoying pain sounds, unless you are really close.

Question for you....

How does one unload the debugger?

I was running 1.03 and then installed the 1.04rc1 and experienced a CTD. I unistalled the game, deleted the 3000AD folder from the C drive, restarted, installed a fresh copy of BCM, copied the 1.03 patch from my D drive the to the BCM folder on the C drive, ran the istaller and then tried to launch the game. I got the following dialog box prior to the game launching:

A debugger was found detected. Please unload the debugger and try again.

Thanks,

Church

BTW: Even with the bugs I am experiencing, this is a truly amazing piece of software Derek...well done.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Church ]

That is a message from SafeDisc and not BCM.

So, if you are running ANY sort of program in the background (obviously you are), you will get this.

Hackers load debuggers into memory when trying to disassemble games. Hence the warning.

You MUST be running a program in the background and which would trigger this.

Standard procedure is that you should NOT running ANY programs in the background when running GAMES in particular.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

How does one unload the debugger?

Ctrl + Alt + Del one time and "End task". Repeat as necessary on everything but Explorer and systray.

That was SOP during testing so other programs wouldn't mess with the beta.

Also a good hint for low end users. Regain as much processing power as you can before playing.

SC,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

As for a solution, I simply reformatted my hd dept of defense style. A clean NTFS format and a clean install of W2K and then spent a good part of the day reinstalling the litany of patches from MS's site. I reverted back to the via 4.36 4-n-1 drivers. I installed the game and patched according to your instructions and was getting a number of CTD's. (Specifically whenever I would engage a enemy craft, when it got intense, it would CTD). With a very clean system I suspect my AGP is creating problems for me....I had everything set to 32 and changed it to 16 (in game and desktop) and then in the BIOS dropped my AGP ap down from 128 to 64. (I have 256 ram) I have followed all other tips in regards to various settings and then restarted the game. I managed to get into a hell of a firefight and have 5 intruders bust in to the bridge, pop my TO and CE and clip me to 18% LF. Instead of trying to play the game, I tried to stress the system. I logged into the computers and issued crew orders, ordered shuttles to drop off drones and then returned to the bridge and popped off as many lasers and STS's as I could, all in an attempt to induce a crash. The CTD never came. Rather I ended the ROAM game with my AE dead as well as half the crew and all the marines in med bay. While I am not convinced that I will never have a CTD again, I am convinced that I have helped my self with going to the 64 meg setting. Not sure if this will help you as much as it has me.

In regards to the warning about being a hacker, please don't take offense to this, but it put a smile on my face. If I had the time to hack (let alone be any good about it) I would not have time to play, and as it is, I hardly have time for that. I own a small business, have a wife and a 4 year old and the box (and receipt) for your product is here on my desk.

Thanks again for the response. I must say, I have never seen such good support from a developer in all my life of computing.

Best regards,

Church

BTW: When I ran Win 98, there was a program that was called, end it all. It basically shut down everything except the systray and explorer. Is there something like that that will work for Win2k? When I hit task manager, there seems to be a hell of a lot more there than there was in 98. If not, what can I safely end task on? Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by Church:

I am convinced that I have helped my self with going to the 64 meg setting. Not sure if this will help you as much as it has me.

I already have that in the General Issues & Stability section of the FAQ. Its item #11 in the first question.

quote:

In regards to the warning about being a hacker, please don't take offense to this, but it put a smile on my face.

I never accused you of being a hacker. I only explain what hackers do and why SD is critical of any debuggers being in memory.

quote:

Thanks again for the response. I must say, I have never seen such good support from a developer in all my life of computing.

You're welcome. Thanks for your support. Enjoy the game!

quote:

BTW: When I ran Win 98, there was a program that was called, end it all. It basically shut down everything except the systray and explorer. Is there something like that that will work for Win2k? When I hit task manager, there seems to be a hell of a lot more there than there was in 98. If not, what can I safely end task on? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, win2K and winXP are different beasts. You cannot safely shutdown everything without breaking something. There may be a version of that program (EndItAll I think its called) floating around though. If anyone comes across it, let me know too.

SmileyMan,

Please try the news patches first before sending any saved games, or even reporting CTDs or other bugs.

If the problem still occurs, try to reproduce it. Two times from a new game (no old saves). If it still occurs, you may even want to reinstall from scratch. Be sure that your patch files are not corrupt, i.e. bad downloads.

Then, and only then, report back in.

Best regards.

quote:

Originally posted by SmileyMan:

Please don't classify as a non-bug until I have followed this up.

Smiley

You've gotta be kidding me. Either that or you had one too many drinks over the holidays.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Unfortunately, win2K and winXP are different beasts. You cannot safely shutdown everything without breaking something. There may be a version of that program (EndItAll I think its called) floating around though. If anyone comes across it, let me know too.

www.mlin.net provides two tools to do this: Startup Control Panel and StartupSelector (under the MISC section). First I use StartupSelector to save a copy of my current configuration (I do this everytime I install anything new). Next, I use Startup Control Panel to force my machine to NOT load any programs at startup. I then use StartupSelector to save a copy of that vanilla configuration. Now when I want to run with nothing in the background, I just run StarupSelector, choose my vanilla configuration and reboot. When I'm done playing I just reload my standard configuration and reboot.

While it might sound a little complicated, it's really extremely simple and the tools are both free.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]