Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

OK something went foul on my end then, cause I can't save, or resume. The
quit and save
option is blacked-out and
resume
goes to the new game menu.

You must have downloaded the patch BEFORE reading the EDIT section of my first post. Download the patch again and re-apply it on top of itself.

Besides, its just the menu thats disabled, ALT+G works just the same, as it does the same thing as that menu.

Note, resume will only go to the new game screen if a current resume game is not present or if the saved game is invalid. In your case, since the patch deleted all saves, there is no save for the resume to restore.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patch seems to be working fine so far, although I don't know about the savegames since I purged them myself...I was only ten hours in or so. ("Only" ten hours in? That would be a serious fraction of the game in anything else!)

quote:

VCF
Revised the NPC threat assessment and prosecution matrix. What the hell does this mean? You'll see.

...I am suddenly very afraid.

quote:

VCF
NPC carriers and stations can once again launch Space Force Marines

Yay! Time to dust off those marine kill-marking templates for my shuttles...

quote:

Originally posted by Patrik Vanda:
Anyway now everythings ok I'll start a new game and practice my skills for all the multiplayer mayhem thats coming up shortly

I have yet to see anyone else on the server at the same time I am, unfortunately; it's a pity we don't have some way of setting up multiplayer events in realtime.

You, sir, are an Incredibly Sadistic Bastard. I would take my hat off to you, but it has been vaporized, along with myself and the rest of the GCV Troika.

I launched from Starpath and plotted a course for Barnard's Star (although I actually came across Pixan in Lennen). When I arrived, there was a Ter/Mil cruiser already attacking it, so I sat back and watched. The fight didn't last long.

Once the friendly cruiser was dispatched, it sortied two S-24 Ravens at me; I immediately cloaked and jumped across-system. Interestingly, the cloak system doesn't seem to consume iridium while in hyper, although the radiation meter did increase. The ravens, losing their lock on me, immediately returned to base.

After emerging from hyper, I drifted for a few minutes while the hyperdrive recharged and the radiation from the cloaking system dissipated. I then reactivated the cloak and jumped directly towards Pixan, emerging 77km from it.

The rest was over fairly quickly. At 50km I launched a missile salvo at it and immediately changed course; it launched another pair of Ravens, but they couldn't see me and went home. At 30km, I launched another salvo and opened fire with my main guns.

I caught a glimpse of several PDS turrets locking on to my missiles before the rest of the turrets (it looked like at least 6-8) converged on my Nightstar and blasted it into superheated gas instantly.

quote:

Originally posted by ToxicFrog:

You, sir, are an Incredibly Sadistic Bastard. I would take my hat off to you, but it has been vaporized, along with myself and the rest of the GCV Troika.

hehe, thats not even all of it. I changed it so that stations increase their threat awareness and launch capable ships to match. e.g. usually stations only launch fighters. Now they launch fighters, cruisers or carriers, depending on who is attacking them and the most dangerous threat.

Does the threat assessment work two ways i.e. do friendly stations also launch depending on level of threat? If so it should be safer in regions controlled by friendly nations.

Will have to play tonight and get myself into some trouble

One thing I've always wondered do stations send reinforcements when craft that have been despatched are destroyed if so I can envisage some pretty tense engagements now that stations are able to launch craft to deal with the level of threat present.

Great work SC this game just gets better and better. Played multiplayer last night found it to be really smooth and the community really seems to be taking to the whole online fleet thing.

The patch won't load for me. It says invalid patch file and says the location of the patch. I read the vcf and realized that I didn't install the 2.00.00 patch from the game file, so I completely reinstalled the game and ran the patches from the game file and it still says invalid patch file. I have a feeling it's my system because it does a lot of other things that don't seem to happen to anybody else.

quote:

Originally posted by SlidingLongboarder:

I have a feeling it's my system because it does a lot of other things that don't seem to happen to anybody else.

Right. So why exactly are you posting in my thread about stuff going on with YOUR computer?

Please don't do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry if I am making an obvious mistake, but I haven't been able to figure this one out, and I am experiencing the same as above:

When executing the patch program, I get a message saying "Invalid Patch File C:..." and gives the location. I am trying to upgrade from version 2.00 (I guess I may have missed a few RC's).

Yes, I did read through the VCF, but did not find anything in regards to preliminary actions for patching (other than the version prerequisite).

Anything that I am doing wrong here? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

had the same problem as mentis.

I am usually using Linux to surf the net, so i used it to download the uc2.00.11 patch.

My save file dialog on Linux named the patch uc2.00.11.exe, i transfered it to the UC folder on my Windows machine and executed it, getting the same problem as mentis. After several tries i used Windows to download the patch, now the save file dialog named the file uc2[1].00.11.exe. Executing this file, it worked.

EDIT: I checked it again, downloading it a few minutes ago using Linux and Windows. The file size under Linux is 10 164 361 Byes; this one doesen't work. Under Windows file size is 10 164 203 Bytes, this one works. So in my case it was a Linux or a Mozilla Problem.

[ 07-02-2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: malbeth ]

Would it be a good idea to post a checksum along with the announcement or download link? There's plenty of freeware tools around to verify checksums (at least the most common ones) and it'd enable people to verify whether the problem is indeed a corrupt download or not.

quote:

Originally posted by malbeth:

Hi,

My save file dialog on Linux named the patch uc2.00.11.exe, i transfered it to the UC folder on my Windows machine and executed it, getting the same problem as mentis. After several tries i used Windows to download the patch, now the save file dialog named the file uc2[1].00.11.exe. Executing this file, it worked.

I had the very same problem the first time I downloaded the patch, the point is that I don't have linux, I only use WINDOWS XP.....

quote:

Originally posted by malbeth:

now the save file dialog named the file uc2[1].00.11.exe.

Thats because it found a partial of the previous file, so it renamed the second download.

quote:

Originally posted by Mascot:

Would it be a good idea to post a checksum along with the announcement or download link? There's plenty of freeware tools around to verify checksums (at least the most common ones) and it'd enable people to verify whether the problem is indeed a corrupt download or not.

You know, thats a good idea. I'll try and get that done today.

quote:

Originally posted by DennyMala:

I had the very same problem the first time I downloaded the patch, the point is that I don't have linux, I only use WINDOWS XP.....

Yeah, me too. Just an XP user here, too. And I don't know if this matters, but my filename was uc2[1].00.11.exe after downloading in XP. I just threw it on my desktop, and I sure didn't have any of the other patches there. Could the filename be the problem then? ...and would changing it make any difference?

quote:

Originally posted by mentis:

I just threw it on my desktop

I'm not even going to respond to that.

Anyway, I have added the checksum for the patch file to the first post in this thread.

Okay okay...settle down everybody...I just meant that I DOWNLOADED it to my desktop. I know full well where you have to place the exe when you run it. ...how long have I been here now?

I don't mean to be a pest, but what checksum algorithm did you pick? When md5 failed I went and found utilities for another 12 different algorithms without being able to find one resembling what you posted. Either both my downloads are corrupt (though I'm playing fine), or I'm a complete nitwit (wouldn't be the first time), or I just can't figure out what you've used.

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

Any ETA on the next patch? UC MP isn't working too well with the current one.

No ETA but I plan another release before the end of July.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

I agree. LOTS of server disconnects.

Nothing I can do about that as this wasn't a problem before and I see no reason why it would - all of a sudden - be a problem now.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Nothing I can do about that as this wasn't a problem before and I see no reason why it would - all of a sudden - be a problem now.

It happens all the time on server3 since the 2.0.11 patch. A lot of people say it's the server, others say it's the patch.

I don't care WHAT people say, if it was the patch, it would affect all servers. And since the servers are all identically configured, that simply can't be it.

And since there is nothing in that patch which would cause it, thats not it either otherwise it would have been happening since the patch was released.

If its not working as you would expect, don't play it. I can't fix what I can't reproduce - and multiplayer experiences will be different for everyone.

And since I download and check the server logs EVERYDAY, unless you have some supa sekret society where you all get together and talk about it, I no such indication of everyone as you stated. One or two people != everyone.

Please don't post about tech support issues in this thread again. If you have a definite and 100% reproducible problem that is not already logged, you know where to post it. This is an announcement thread, not a tech support discussion thread.