Babylon 5 mod...

cougarxg1

There was a fellow named Minbari_Captain over on the Klingon Acadamy website who did amazing things with that game engine for babylon 5. I j ust hope that he comes to a real game and tries his hand at BCM the possibilities of this game are endless.

lol.. it was only time.... SC ..just be glad its not a Dr. Who Mod.. imagine a little phone booth flying through the BCM universe... or even worse does anyone remember "Space 1999" .. oh god i'm dating myself here.

I would actually look forward to a B5 Mod since the B5 game got dropped. My wife even liked that show.

Although SC doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would make it easy to tinker with his work so I suspect he may have created a few internal hurdles to discourage such mutations of his game. The again I could be wrong.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

lol.. it was only time.... SC ..just be glad its not a Dr. Who Mod.. imagine a little phone booth flying through the BCM universe... or even worse does anyone remember "Space 1999" .. oh god i'm dating myself here.

Yup a phone box that can have 50 fighters.

Errm back to the point of the thread... Hmm since no one had the need for lightwave models is there anyone that could convert my models for me? It would be of great help on getting the ball rolling for Babylon 5 mods...

or if anyone is wanting to partner up with me to get the B5 mods into the game, drop me a line... or post on this thread

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: cougarxg1 ]

SC you got style I have a few models in 2.5 format and 3.0 format just give the word and location and I will send em over. I wish I could convert em to BC but I do not have the required MAX

The ships I have... (gonna be short because most my models in light wave format but these are still some goodies)

Warlock class Destroyer

White Star

Minbari Fighter

and Minbari War Cruiser

B5 mod! That'd be great. Please do it. I have absolutely no modding skills/experience/tools, so I can't help, but that would be great. Planetkiller ships.....Whitestars.....Starfurys.....those cool weapons they use...PPGs?

Galcom could be the Interstellar alliance.....

Earthcom could be Earthforce....

Maybe the special little items on random planets that were talking about in other threads, maybe that race could be "The First Ones". Huge ODS platforms around every inhabited planet....

POWER TO B5! (too bad they cancelled that game)

quote:

Originally posted by cougarxg1:

SC you got style I have a few models in 2.5 format and 3.0 format just give the word and location and I will send em over. I wish I could convert em to BC but I do not have the required MAX

The ships I have... (gonna be short because most my models in light wave format but these are still some goodies)

Warlock class Destroyer

White Star

Minbari Fighter

and Minbari War Cruiser

Put each model's mesh and textures in a separate zip file. Then send all 4 zips to [email protected] . Don't you have a model of the station?

I have models of Babylon 4, 5, and even a hypothetical 6 but thats what I get for buying Lightwave . Anyways I will dig, aska round and beg and should (eventually? ) be able to come up with many more ships including the station, star furies and the Omega Destroyers.

• 4 weeks later...

When I first saw a small NPC try and take out the Pyron ODS orbiting Earth, I couldn't help but think of the Earth-Minbari War in B5...that single blue beam was slicing right through those 3 cruisers! The shields didn't stop a thing! I almost felt sorry for them...until I got 3 cargo pods out of the mess.

I'm not sure what the game engine can do, but I think in a B5 mod, all main guns ought to be replaced with turrets, so all ships would only have turrets. That way its more like giving broadsides to each other than a dogfight with very large fighers.

Or perhaps turn the main guns into a turret system, so you could have 2 power settings for 2 different turret arrays?

Another thing is that the scale of everything works perfectly. In B5, just a few fighters can cause major damage against something, and ships tended to have small crews.

Speaking of such a B5 mod...if such a thing comes into being, what ship would you all pick? (assuming you cannot play as the First Ones) I'd probably go with the standard Terran destroyer. Despite it being woefully underpowered, I love the things. They just look great, and playing as the underdog is far much of a challenge than playing as a Vorlon heavy carrier.

Also, Supreme Cmdr, remember to add yourself in as the First One on Zha'had'um.

As I've said before, I'm not inclined to get involved in any B5 mod in which volunteers don't live up to their expectations.

There have been several attempted B5 mods (remember the Freespace one?) which never materialized.

IMO, this whole business about doing a B5 game is plagued with problems stemming from incompetence, inexperience, lack of discipline and wanton disregard for the core and basic principles of game development.

So far, and I don't care what anyone says, I am the only person on this planet Earth, who can do a B5 game (or mod) that is true to the series. Nobody has the technology (and am not talking about graphics glitz either. Thats the easy part)nor expertise or the discipline to start it and see it through. Period.

Throwing money and a massive team at a game, doesn't guarantee anything.

REGARDLESS of what you read, Sierra threw a ton of money at the cancelled B5 game. In the end, the people in charge (execs+devs) couldn't pull it off and left the company with no choice but to pull the plug. And I can't say I blame them. Just look at that other space sim, now almost five years in development and nowhere in sight. Yet another money and talent blackhole.

So, all you guys can do for now, is dream about it.

And here is one of my fav threads on the demise of Crusade. Pay close attention to KoshN's excellent post.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Supreme_Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by JJ:

um sc not to say your wrong on nething....just that the b5 freespace mod did come to fruition with a new version just being released, and i believe the earth-minbari war campaign.

Was that the one for Freespace or Freespace2?

If so, what features does it have apart from mindless, plotless space combat?

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Supreme_Cmdr ]

There must be a curse when it comes to Babylon5 stuff. It started out as a great contender to Star Trek yet ended up as a disaster (Crusade). The B5 game from Sierra has been on my wishlist for years yet they canned it. This is probably why I haven't bought a Sierra game lately.