Floating CCs

Genken

Is it possible to(through a mod or something like that) have a CC float like a shuttle craft? If so, that would give me more reason to get 3D Studio Max, and try to make the Bebop from Cowboy Bebop...or a small mod.

See, and if it's possible to do what I want in my other thread (about changing planet features and stuff, if I could also make Ganymede where CC's can fly in it no prob) then I could try my luck with a Cowboy Bebop mod...ooh...unarmed transport with 2 or 3 fighters(Swordfish 2, Redtail(thats gunna be a bit awkward to do), and the uh... *looks at Cowboy Bebop DVD's* Hammerhead(make that baby float as well, but no weapons and a tractor beam to simulate the hook thingy on it). Then again, it would help to learn to model using verticies, and not boxes and cylinders...

Right now though, I'm gunna try my luck at replacing the little face Icons with some from Cowboy Bebop. Jet as the male commander, Spike and Faye as uh..pilots or something I guess, and Ed as the Research officer...Ein could be the CO. Better than Resnig. lol

good Idea. why didn't I think of that...

Then again, I would need to fix it up just right...decent armor, a little bit of sheilds, but not able to use all the big guns..still a good idea.

The only difference I really see in the Shuttles, Fighters, and CC's is the size, and that CC's hold shuttles and fighters(when a carrier, of course). My guess is that they all basically use the same coding(well, not all the same, but I'm sure you know what I mean...if you dont, then I need to figure out what I am babbleing about).

I hope I lose that 10 bucks I bet in that other thread of mine...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Genken:

Is it possible to(through a mod or something like that) have a CC float like a shuttle craft?

Yes. Its just a single flag in OBJDEFS.SCR to give a unit the ability to float.

out of curiosity, in the same manner, can you allow some ship to dive?

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

out of curiosity, in the same manner, can you allow some ship to dive?

They're not subs and don't have those dynamics

I didn't say that going in water would require the ship you act like there was water preventing the ship from going as fast as it can go.

Hey Genken. If you're absolutely up for making a mod, and would like to buddy up, I'd love to make this a group project.

I may be a vet, but I'm sure as hell a n00b at GBS/GBS-II. Would be a good time to learn.

IMO, solo mod projects don't work that well, because they end up getting forgotten or left behind. If we could assemble a team for a mod, I'd be sure it'd work.

I lost my 10 bucks...and thats a good thing . lol

Sounds like a good idea Cmdr Nova. The only experience I have in moddeling is Milkshape 3D, and I only know how to make models with boxes, cylinders, and spheres. A friend of mine has 3D Max, but he doesn't have BCM, so I dont really know how well he can do with it. I also dont really have any experience with skinning either. I'm sure I could make skins, which if I draw on paper and scan in, should look good, but then again, people arn't my best. I dunno if scanning it in would work though. But if everyone that you had in mind, or wants to help could chat in a room on AIM or IRC or something, I'd be glad to give some input and help some. But there is also this problem I have with my mom, so I will be able to let you know an answer monday evening or tuesday.

Basically what I'd like to do is make the Bebop from Cowboy Bebop. Basically an unarmed Carrier, like Epsilon suggested, and 3 fighters. One like the Swordfish II, one like the Redtail, and one like the Hammerhead. The hammerhead would be unarmed, but would have a tractorbeam and some decent armor and sheilding. For the redtail, we would need to figure out how to quickly switch from FTOL to VTOL and back to manuver it. That would be its advantage. The swordfish would be fast, manuverable(except for the Yaw, so that the roll would be used more), and the Plasma cannon thingy on the bottom wouldnt be functional.

Then again, I dunno what all we can do. I do like that we can make CC's float. that would be nice.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I didn't say that going in water would require the ship you act like there was water preventing the ship from going as fast as it can go.

No you didn't. But READ my post again. You can't just flip a switch and have a space craft behave like a craft that was designed for under water travel. Why else do you think ground vehicles, aircrafts and space crafts behave differently in their environments? Magic? Or maybe I flipped a switch?

My reply still stands as it was originally written. If you don't get it, have someone else break it down for you because I certainly can't break it down any further than I already have.

[ 09-15-2002, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Well, today is the day...oh so much fun ahead *hint sarcasm...about 10 LRT-10's worth* and I more or less got my Swordfish 2 model done...except for the skinning...now I just need a friend to load it up in his 3DS Max, and finish it off...I think. Oh..that reminds me...

Vertices: 453

Triangles: 812

Groups: 23

Materials: 0

Joints: 0

Smoothing Groups: 1, 2, 3

Mins: -105.86 -3.60 -132.59

Maxs: 105.83 61.82 84.02

Center: -0.01 29.11 -24.28

What does this tell me? If I tried to use this in any game I've ever played, it will bring my system to a grinding halt. Why am I telling you all this stuff? I'm not sure. But I figure you will see my modeling skill. (Skill? What skill? I use boxes, cylinders, and spheres. And that one 24 sided cylinder is what made it jump so high...maybe I should replace that...or take it out and see what it says. lol) What have I learned from this? Other than posting this crap to eat up my time, and your reading time, that that I need to give Chumbalumsoft(however it's spelt) that they might want to make the Model stats where you can copy them and paste them...they are a pain to type. Then again...they dont need that in there I guess. What will I do? Find a copy of 3D Studio Max and get it working on this thing. That and learn to model using the Vertices.

Sorry for wasting your time posting this crap. I just figured I would show you what my actually decent moddeling looked like. It looks good, but it will kill most computers. God I need a life...or some friends here...

Ooh, took out the 24 sided cylinder... 403 Vertices, and 710 Triangles. Not much of a drop actually... maybe I need to get rid of all these spheres...lol

At 812 you may or may not have a problem. I've tried to shoot for a budget of 550 triangles when modeling ships for BCM. It was a number I derived from looking at the model stats of existing models in BCStudio.

If you're using alot of cylinders and spheres you might want to try using ones with a smaller number of sides. Often times it can give a similiar effect for much less cost. It may or may not be an optimization that's appropriate for your model, however, it's kind of one of those things you have to judge for yourself.

Of course, sometimes it's just impossible to get the polycount down when you're modeling from an existing source, and still be able to come up with a finished product that you're happy with. Really, that's why I have an unfinished SA-23E sitting on my hard drive... there's no way I can make it within 550 polys and still be happy with the way it looks.

The poly limit in BCM is 65536 per model. The only reason you'd want low poly models is when those models are used a lot and in real-time.

Imagine what would happen if you had ten fighters each with 2500 polys in a battle within the same proximity. Sure, modern day computers can handle it, but you need to think about the minimum specs for BCM when doing that.

So, 550 polys for a model is really nothing to worry about.

Anyone can do high poly models, but it takes a lot of skill to come up with low poly models that don't look like ass.

quote:

The poly limit in BCM is 65536 per model.

Scouring through my hard drive I think I have a character model that's just a couple hundred shy of that limit, actually

Hehe... it was first character model ever, and it just goes to show how bloated things can get. I still keep it around as a reminder of what not to do.

quote:

Anyone can do high poly models, but it takes a lot of
skill
to come up with low poly models that don't look like ass.

So true. On that note, though, I just want to ask who did the character models for BCM? Honestly, they may not be the prettiest models to ever grace a game, but they've got to be some of the most efficient that I've ever seen. I love those things

quote:

Originally posted by Litvyak:

[On that note, though, I just want to ask who did the character models for BCM? Honestly, they may not be the prettiest models to ever grace a game, but they've got to be some of the most efficient that I've ever seen. I love those things

Eric Walker (manual p75) did all the character models and animations in BCM. He also did all the twelve officer/pilot models in BCG, as well as all character animations.

Wille Asp did the seven marine character models and the two engineer/medic personnel models (Eric is doing the animations) for BCG.

Also in BCM, the animations were based on my morphing character animation technology. In BCG, Andrei is doing a skeleton based character animation technology. If you know about animation, then you already know the benefits of a skeleton based character animation.

[ 09-17-2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 1 month later...

quote:

The poly limit in BCM is 65536 per model. The only reason you'd want low poly models is when those models are used a lot and in real-time.

Imagine what would happen if you had ten fighters each with 2500 polys in a battle within the same proximity. Sure, modern day computers can handle it, but you need to think about the minimum specs for BCM when doing that.

If any of you modders EVAR EVAR EVAR release something cool, like a Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star mod with some model with that many polys, you will make me cry at my own lack of a l33t rig. (But ph33r not, I'm going to beg my parents for the new system they promised me a year and a half ago. I'm hoping to snag a sw33t Athlon XP and Radeon 9700 Pro, if possible. ^^''')

Anyway. About the mod thing. If you're still interested, I can help with Photoshop graphic designing, scripting, misc coding, and other crap if needed.

Contact info:

AIM: HTMLjedi (tell me your AIM first, because I'm on privacy mode, as I've had some trouble recently with some bastards)

MSN: [email protected]

I'm also found on IRC at htis location, like EVERY day ^_^:

irc.webchat.org

#fgofa

Nick: Mike`

[ 10-20-2002, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]