Modelling for Dummies

Falstaff

First, let me apologize for the ignorant question about BCStudio. Sorry to have bugged you, SC. I did not realize it was not a "modelling tool." In fact, I have no knowledge of 3d modelling what-so-ever and wouldn't know a "modelling tool" if it came up and kicked me in the behind.

But I would like to.

This forum, however, is not the place to start learning.

Does anyone know of a 3d modelling community where I can go and learn how to do 3d modelling? Where did you guys get your start into 3d modelling?

Then if I have BC related questions about modelling I'll at least know what the heck I'm asking.

[ 07-02-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Me personally I cut my teeth on an old fan utility for Descent called Polytron then went for a little Truespace 3 and jumpped immediately to 3DsMAX, after that it was a easy transition to Maya. I would suggest that you look up milkshape or Blender, though blender has a horrid interface IMO. if you are looking for professional or semi profesional Lightwave or Cinama 4d are realtively inexpensive and Maya Complete is only about $2000.

quote:

Originally posted by Sir John Falstaff:

First, let me apologize for the ignorant question about BCStudio. Sorry to have bugged you, SC. I did not realize it was not a "modelling tool." In fact, I have no knowledge of 3d modelling what-so-ever and wouldn't know a "modelling tool" if it came up and kicked me in the behind.

But I would like to.

This forum, however, is not the place to start learning.

Does anyone know of a 3d modelling community where I can go and learn how to do 3d modelling? Where did you guys get your start into 3d modelling?

Then if I have BC related questions about modelling I'll at least know what the heck I'm asking.

try this place also http://3dmax.8k.com/moretutorials.html

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Me personally I cut my teeth on an old fan utility for Descent called Polytron then went for a little Truespace 3 and jumpped immediately to 3DsMAX, after that it was a easy transition to Maya. I would suggest that you look up milkshape or Blender, though blender has a horrid interface IMO. if you are looking for professional or semi profesional Lightwave or Cinama 4d are realtively inexpensive and Maya Complete is only about $2000.

$2000 ???

okaaaaaaayyyyy...

With that kind of money I could buy a new rig to run BCG...... I think I will not make 3d modelling a hobby now. I bit too rich for my blood.

Thanks for your help. Now I know that this is not something I'm going to pursue just to move a simple turret!

oh that was after the price cut... I think it used to be around 6000 form Maya complete and 10,000 for Maya unlimited. now Maya Unlimited is the 6000 buck one and 3dSMax last I looked was running a good 4000.

As I said before you can get pretty far using Blender and Milkshape both of which are free.

if the site hasn't changed it should be www.blender.nl

Okay. I just downloaded both Blender and Milkshape and burned me a cd. I'll install them when I get home.

We'll see if I can do anthing with it. Who knows, I might be a 3d savant. I am a man of many hidden talents. Unfortunatly I don't know what they are either, since they're hidden real well..

Sir John Falstaff, try to get hold of Computer Arts Magazine - their web page is here . Loads of tutorials, plus they periodically carry full versions of 3D packages on the cover disc (typically when a newer version is about to be, or has just been released) as well as demo version of current products.

There are so many ways to do things in 3D (I can think of at least three ways to create a simple tube) that you need to find a package that suits the way you think and whose user interface works for you. I first used Imagine on the Amiga (also available for PC here ), and now quite like Cinema 4D.

Have fun, whatever you choose!

quote:

Originally posted by Viper2000:

This game is the easiest ive ever modded for. The only prob I had was getting the tags exactly where I wanted them.

Yeah, BCStudio is not exactly friendly at that sort of thing. Which is why I don't use it. I use a tool I wrote back in 1995 (!) and which is not included in GBS.

Very good. Next question.

What 3d modeller should I use so I can convert them into .3d format? I need to know if there is a free/cheep modeller that I can get my mits on that will allow me to do mods in BCM.

I've got MilkShape shareware that I seem to be able to make rudamentary models with, but I'm not spending the $25 on it if I can't use it to get the model into BCS

I'll watch for stunned silence... That's usually a sign that people are going

Man... I can't believe he asked that..

You can only use MAX to export to our .3D format. At one time I was going to ask Andrei to do an export plugin for Milkshape3D, but I never got around to it. Besides, we have more important things to do.

Understood. Thanks.

**takes parade back inside out of the rain**

I have a "Broadsword" heavy cruiser design in Milkshape that I think looks pretty cool. I modeled it to fit the profile for the Sunflash.

If I made models in Milkshape could they be imported to Max and then exported to .3d? So, maybe, in the far future when I've got more money than sense, and I buy Max I can do something with any models I make now?

You don't have to buy max if you ae not going to render animations, there is a very BIG program which i'm surprised no one has mentioned it. It's GMAX, 3ds max little brother, it lets you do all that max does but rendering and for free!, and since it's almost the same program (someone correct me if i'm wrong cause i have not tried it yet since i use 3d studio max 5 myself) it could support the plug-in to extort to the BC format .3d if i recall correctly.

I'm not completely sure but you will lose nothing trying

Go to this link and you will see more information about it

Cheers

Fact is, since BCG is going to be the last BC title of its kind, there is a 99.9% chance that the GBS-III tools and support for Milkshape3D will be included. And all on the CD. This will end any aggravation, speculation, harrassment etc etc.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Fact is, since BCG is going to be the last BC title of its kind, there is a 99.9% chance that the GBS-III tools and support for Milkshape3D will be included. And all on the CD. This will end any aggravation, speculation, harrassment etc etc.

Bless you, Sir, Bless you.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr_ Laracuente:

You don't have to buy max if you ae not going to render animations, there is a very BIG program which i'm surprised no one has mentioned it. It's GMAX, 3ds max little brother, it lets you do all that max does but rendering and for free!, and since it's almost the same program (someone correct me if i'm wrong cause i have not tried it yet since i use 3d studio max 5 myself) it could support the plug-in to extort to the BC format .3d if i recall correctly.

I'm not completely sure but you will lose nothing trying

Go to this
and you will see more information about it

Cheers

Thank you very much. I will try it immediatly. In fact, it downloads as I type this. Sweet.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr_ Laracuente:

Yes GMAX is similar to 3dsmax. Alot of UT2k3 level makers use Gmax.

Alas, one final bump in the road.

The documentation with BCS states

If you are a

modeler, using BCS to view exported MAX 2 or 3 models, please read the

modeling_guide.htm file in the DOCS folder. The .MAX to .3D plugins are

located in the PLUGINS folder.

The modeling_guide.htm file is not in the DOCS folder. And the .MAX to .3D plugins are not located in the PLUGINS folder. In fact, there is no PLUGINS folder at all.

So even if Gmax does the same as Max2 or 3, it will do me no good without those files. I am supposing that those little tidbits were removed from the .zip file because of all the questions they generated --not unlike this one, yes? I guess you guys can't win. You put it out there, people ask questions. You don't put it out there, buggers like me come and ask questions as to why it's not there. Questions, questions..... But I digress --

If it hadn't been in the docs then I'd never know what I was missing.......

See what you get for telling me to search the message board and read the docs?

Is there a way to get the plugin? I hope so, but it won't end my world if not.

But until then, I am enjoying playing with my model. It is much more fun than legos were, since I can make my own custom blocks to move around . Maybe some day I can make it "come to life" in the BCM universe.

There's a couple of other docs and a .jpg missing as well from the version I have.

If the SC gives the nod I'll post a link for you to get them.

Until then you'll just have to be patient

***said as quiet prayer in the corner**

"Lord, please grant me patience......

But could you hurry up and send it? I need it right now....."

Thanks, I appreciate it. And even if we don't get the go ahead, I'm having a blast making models. It would just be so much more cool to actually see one go into action.

If you find a proffesional modelling package frustrating you might want to try wings 3d (it lets you model in a simple way but does not lack in any specific area), but don't expect it to be near or even half of 3d studio max. It was designed for true newbies.

wings 3d

cheers