Design a ship!

hyndis

quote:

Originally posted by Sir John Falstaff:

Just out of curiosity.....

Is it possible to "tweak" existing craft in an
unsupported
aftermarket fashion? In other words... hacking... Not a request for SC to change anything or do more work to his already superior game.

Just wondering if a commander could modify his ship were he to learn sufficient coding skills.

you could probably play around with the assets.ini *****I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DOING SOMETHING INTHERE THAT COMPLETELY TRASHES YOUR INSTALLATION OF BCM/BCMG*****

or play around with GBS if SC ever posted it.

personally I'm working on changing damage factors for weapons again to make everything a bit more "balanced"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to reiterate Eclipse's statement.

quote:

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DOING SOMETHING INTHERE THAT COMPLETELY TRASHES YOUR INSTALLATION OF BCM/BCMG

If you try to make any changes to the game, and you screw it up, don't look for tech support.

(I think I just stole the SC's line....hrmm)

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

quote:

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DOING SOMETHING INTHERE THAT COMPLETELY TRASHES YOUR INSTALLATION OF BCM/BCMG

If you try to make any changes to the game, and you screw it up, don't look for tech support.

Well, Duuuuhhhh....

quote:

Is it possible to "tweak" existing craft in an unsupported aftermarket fashion?

Have you ever bought an aftermarket product? Does the company support your item with an aftermarket product installed? Nooooo. Why should I expect SC to?

I know it would be unsupported already. Hence the use of the term unsupported in the question.

I guess I just don't communicate very well.

hehe well sometimes people don't get that and then come running for tech support after using playmod and wonder why they get shot down.

Originally posted by Eclipse:

quote:

you could probably play around with the assets.ini *****I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DOING SOMETHING INTHERE THAT COMPLETELY TRASHES YOUR INSTALLATION OF BCM/BCMG*****

or play around with GBS if SC ever posted it.

personally I'm working on changing damage factors for weapons again to make everything a bit more "balanced"

Hey - do you by accident know the way to change this number that all .ini files begin with? This is one small thing that SC put there to prevent messing up with them, but I really would like to change some things. Is it possible?

I tried. The game refuses to start when notices that those file have been changed. I think it's some kind of a checksum, but I don't know how to generate it.

EDIT: Checked once again, and found out that actually assets.ini can be modified. Earlier I tried to translate the game into my language and I failed, so I thought all of game's files cannot be changed. Thanks!

MD5 encryption was disabled for the asset.ini file (although it is still at the top of the file)

Once you get your hands on GBS II you can do what you like with the craft parameters

So you could create a new super carrier which turns ,rolls, yaws like a fighter has the HJ time of a few seconds, the shields of the best spacestation and have turrets and main guns with the destructive power of the spacestation defences.

but to what end?

The game would not be worth playing, the gameplay will be unballanced.

The whole point of the game is to overcome the challenges if you have a CC that can wipe the floor with everything there is no challenge.

Each craft has different strength and weaknesses and are suited to different roles,

Some are more suited to the way you or I play the game some more suited to how someone else might plays the game.

These attributes have not been dreamed up in a rush.

Derek has put a lot of time and effort into the balance of the game and I for one wont be changing anything.

ok I might add more storage to the Megaron and give it MK 1 shuttles,and ATVs and APC type 1 s and ........and ....

tell me about it. trying to determine how much damage and for how long a station beam should be and what range it should start firing and what ranges should SDM missiles be launched and how fast takes quite a bit of tweaking.

not to mention changing the main cannons on the ships so that they pack a pretty large punch but still take some time to punch through a stations shields but not so weak that it is impossible to kill anything,

then top it off with the fighters weapons, making them powerfull enough to be able to combat other fighters effectivly but not so powerful that they chew through a station or capital ship like it never existed.

I think I have a few more hours of tweaking left before I see if anyone likes the changes

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

quote:

Well, Duuuuhhhh....

quote:

Is it possible to "tweak" existing craft in an unsupported aftermarket fashion?

Have you ever bought an aftermarket product? Does the company support your item with an aftermarket product installed? Nooooo. Why should I expect SC to?

I know it would be unsupported already. Hence the use of the term unsupported in the question.

I guess I just don't communicate very well.

Falstaff, I wish it would be a "Well Duhhhh" issue to everyone. Some people feel that if they go messing with the game files that they should be able to come here and get help to fix what they've done. It was merely an effort to warn folks as to prevent anyones time being wasted in the future.

Pugwash...

To what end?

I am a gear head. I like to play with things. I have had more fun making modifications to assets.ini and experimenting with ships than I've had playing the game. Is it because the game is not made well? No, it is because I'm the kind of guy that likes to take stuff apart and see if I can get it back together again in a different configuration. I'm a lego-block kid, if you will.

I personally have no desire to make a "super-carrier" that can wipe the p-wadd'n out of anything out there. I do like making tweeks, though. For instance, I like a small, fast ship. My favorites are the sunflash and questar. Problem... Cruisers don't have cloaking devices. Well, this Klingon installed one on his. Now everybody in the galaxy has done the same (changes to ship design are universal.)

Does it unbalance the game? No, not really. The next time I hear "there's something out there" it could be a little sunflash instead of a carrier. Big whup.

I think the shuttle mk3 looks cool, but it's slow and has limited cargo space. So I swapped them out at the local flea-market for some old mk1s. Unbalance the game? No, any independant commander would make modifications to his assets were he to have a preference of one craft over another.

If I can ever figgure out how to move tags and objects I'm going to move the rear turret of my questar up front above the bridge. My flying style is to keep my enemy in front of me, so a turret on the rear does little more than scuff shielding. Will all the turrets forward firing I can hose down a fighter quickly and move on to the next.

I am eagerly awaiting gbs2 just so I'll have more stuff to monkey with.

quote:

Originally posted by GhengisX:

WarMonger with 2 fighters would be un-friggin stoppable!!!!

you can do that by altering assets.ini. Just make sure to back that file up before you go monkeying with it.

quote:

Originally posted by mihau:

And of course don't forget to give them fighter bays. It would be difficult to store them with two shuttles in one, small flight deck.

IIRC (I'm not at my home computer)

craft{fighter, super fighter, lfighter, lfighter.d3, 4, 4}

This should give you four fighters and four fighter bays.

Don't forget to add flight engineers to your crew.

And don't forget to add power for a fighter charger.

Best bet is to look at how a carrier is set up and then deturmine which systems added to your cruiser would make it a carrier.

I've got a questar that has 1 fighter and one shuttle. Less cargo space, 5 more marines.

I try to have a "this for that" design plan. If I add something then something has to be subtracted...

I really like the setup. I've gotten more kills in the fighter than in the CC.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

or you could just copy a carrier setup and give it a cruiser model and remove a couple of fighters.

yeah... like have all the specs of a stormcarrier but the body of a sunflash?

That's do-able. But not realistic. I like to imagine that some physics apply... like hull space limitations, etc. This isn't Battle-Dr.Who-Cruiser after all.

to change the rest you would have to edit a few other files but it might be quicker than searching through and giving all the settings to the cruiser.

quote:

My favorites are the sunflash and questar. Problem... Cruisers don't have cloaking devices. Well, this Klingon installed one on his. Now everybody in the galaxy has done the same (changes to ship design are universal.)

Does it unbalance the game? No, not really.

No Klingon here wrong game!

Most modifications you make are to give yourself some benefit you / your asset did not have before so I still stick by what I said any modification moves the balance of the game however little you believe it effects will be it still unbalances the game.

quote:

My flying style is to keep my enemy in front of me,

Ah so you have increased you RR then

quote:

hmm I can see you will be un installing and reinstalling many times over when you "hose your environment".

Lets put it this way, the beta testers have the GBS-II sdk because they know how to use it and they don't harrass me (at least not often) about how it works.

If I had any confidence that this board won't be flooded with tech support nightmares once that tool is released (e.g. some git modding something which a n00b goes and grabs, then nukes his environment), I would have released it, as-is, by now.

As it stands, the decision is up to the testers (especially folks like Gallion, Pugwash, Mano etc who know how to use the various tools in it) to convince me to release it. After all, if I ignore the QA sessions in the GBS thread (which is where they belong), they are the ones who would have to answer them.

So, you folks can ask them. They'll discuss it with me in Area 51 and I'll make a decision based on that. Other than that, I'm not likely to release it to the public as I had originally planned.

quote:

Originally posted by Pugwash:

quote:

My favorites are the sunflash and questar. Problem... Cruisers don't have cloaking devices. Well, this Klingon installed one on his. Now everybody in the galaxy has done the same (changes to ship design are universal.)

Does it unbalance the game? No, not really.

No Klingon here wrong game!

Most modifications you make are to give yourself some benefit you / your asset did not have before so I still stick by what I said any modification moves the balance of the game however little you believe it effects will be it still unbalances the game.

quote:

My flying style is to keep my enemy in front of me,

Ah so you have increased you RR then

quote:

hmm I can see you will be un installing and reinstalling many times over when you "hose your environment".

I used "klingon" as a trekkie term for a race that likes cloaked ships. I know there are no klingons in this universe. It was a joke. What race in BC uses lots of stealth ships? I'll call myself that instead to make you happy.

Increased reverse thrust? What for? It's fine as it is. The AI never backs up so it doesn't account for that maneuver.

As for what I give myself unbalances the game? How so? My questar has cloaking capability. So does every other questar in the game. What I get, everyone else in the game gets. Now if I could give myself a unique ship that no other race/caste could get then that would be unbalanced in my opinion. But hey, we're talking opinions here. Opinions are like armpits, everyone's got a set and they all stink

As for hosing my environment.....

Yeah, probably. But thats the way I learn. I back up every file I play with and when I hose it, you'll never hear about it because I'll fix it myself. If I have to reload the game you'll never know that either. You won't have install it for me. No time out of your pocket. No hastle for you.

If you guys are worried about the flood of questions from people who screw up their environment and can't fix it themselves then do something like this....

"Warning, this program will screw up your game if you don't use it right. It is unsupported. Your feeble questions about this program will be deleted on sight. Continuous questions about this program will result in Banning. Do not use this program unless you are willing to lose your saved games and have to reinstall BC. Do not come crying to us if you lose your saved games or have to reinstall BC. Do not be a stupid git. Do not have a low i.q. Do not drool on the floor. Do not whine. Do not moan. Don't make us come over there. Consider yourself damn lucky that we even put this file online for you and feel privaliged you simpering fool. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

After you put that above the file.. In fact, as a disclaimer page before getting to the file, where you have to click on "yes, I agree to the terms and conditions" to get to the file... You will have a flood of morons that geeb up their games that you can just delete--or ban if they get persistant--

Puhleze don't decide to not put GBSII out.

Please, please, please, please.

quote:

If you guys are worried about the flood of questions from people who screw up their environment and can't fix it themselves then do something like this....

"Warning, this program will screw up your game if you don't use it right. It is unsupported. Your feeble questions about this program will be deleted
on sight
. Continuous questions about this program will result in Banning. Do not use this program unless you are willing to lose your saved games and have to reinstall BC. Do not come crying to us if you lose your saved games or have to reinstall BC. Do not be a stupid git. Do not have a low i.q. Do not drool on the floor. Do not whine. Do not moan. Don't make us come over there. Consider yourself damn lucky that we even put this file online for you and feel privaliged you simpering fool. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

After you put that above the file.. In fact, as a disclaimer page before getting to the file, where you have to click on "yes, I agree to the terms and conditions" to get to the file... You will have a flood of morons that geeb up their games that you can just delete--or ban if they get persistant--

Puhleze don't decide to not put GBSII out.

Please, please, please, please.

Falstaff, have you ever read the document that is located

here?

It says about the message forums what you are saying about the GBS. The problem? It rarely if ever stops people from coming to the board and doing things that, that document specifically tells them NOT TO DO.

'Nuff said.

Yes. I've read that.

And I've seen where people have had their posts deleted.

And I've seen where people have been banned.

But I guess because of all the stupid-s*$% out there people like me will never get to enjoy all of BCMs nuances. Which I suppose is okay. There is still plenty for me to do with BC without being able to modify it. I just wish I hadn't learned that there was a program that might have been available that would have made it even more customizable and cool.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to play BC and I'm still going to love it whether I'm able to put my impression on it or not.

So, I guess that's my way of saying...

Never mind

Falstaff, not trying to have a go at you or anything, but the SC *never* said it wouldn't be released. He said he needed to be convinced that it was ok to release it and that the boards wouldn't be flooded with tech help.

If you *really* want it that bad my suggestion to you would be to prove to the SC you are responsible enough to use it, and not come back complaining when it gets screwed up. I'm not by any means saying that he'll give it to you, but thats where'd I start if I were you.

Well, I was under the impression that a lot of the testers were against the idea of releasing it. Thus, it would probably not be released even thought the final decision had not been made yet.

However, I've been known to get the wrong impressions sometimes What, me , misunderstand?

As for convincing the SC that I'm responsible enough to use it and won't go whining to him when (not if) I screw up the game.. How the heck can I do that? He can't know that I won't bug him without giving it to me first. He'll only know I'm responsible if he gives me responsibility.

I'll just wait and hope it gets released publicly.

--unless SCs noticed that I've not posted too many questions about ctds, freezups, and the like, having searched, read, and fixed my system accordingly. But I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. I'm still a noob for crying out loud.