Raiders in MP

Ockham

I need to learn how to represent TDH in MP and not be a hopeless flying bucket of cannon fodder.

I feel my heavy cruiser is just being outclassed and there is no amount of strategy or skill that can prevent me from being torn to shreds by larger enemy ships that are not available to our caste.

I'm hoping some of you Raider MP vets can help me out. Anyone out there have any tips/tricks/strategy that can be passed along?

Should I just stick to preying on commericial shipping and not even engage larger enemy ships in the ROAM MP games?

I am not exactly a 'vet' but I can tell you how *I* go about things. One thing you must understand is that you must stay away from stations...period. Dont even think of going near those things as they will chew you up. It also helps to sell what you dont need and buy the best armor and shield upgrades you can. Finally, when fighting those losers in their giant death ships you need to remember that they are big and SLOW. Dealing with fighters while staying out of the carriers weapons range is a good idea. Since your ship is smaller and weaker I believe its generally a good idea to have them come to you so you can blow them to pieces before they get out of hyperspace.

quote:

Originally posted by Carl Burning:

I am not exactly a 'vet' but I can tell you how *I* go about things. One thing you must understand is that you must stay away from stations...period. Dont even think of going near those things as they will chew you up.

Yup, figured that one out pretty quick

quote:

Since your ship is smaller and weaker I believe its generally a good idea to have them come to you so you can blow them to pieces before they get out of hyperspace.

And I bet commanders of larger ships would argue that since heavy cruisers are much faster, they should come to them

And if heavy cruisers can blow larger ships to peices before they get out of hyperspace, does size really matter then?

At least with a conventional 1 on 1 duel, does everything rest on who makes a hyper jump first?

Any way to stay off radar and make a hyper jump without anyone noticing?

Thanks for the response Carl

• 2 weeks later...

sh#t...

My girlfriend snagged my headphone+mic set to use with her discman on a trip down to New Orleans.

I won't be able to use Teamspeak till this coming Monday.

Maybe I can join the TS server and just listen in? Would I still be able to participate in the match?

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm hmmmm, I see Shingen hasn't said anything to you guys yet? This morning I woke up to a PM from him saying that he was resigning from and scrapping the TDH fleet. heh.

You have a new leader in mind for the TDH yet SC?

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

quote:

uhm hmmmm, I see Shingen hasn't said anything to you guys yet? This morning I woke up to a PM from him saying that he was resigning from and scrapping the TDH fleet. heh.

SC said that Shingen said he was "scrapping the TDH fleet" so....

This might be it folks

quote:

quote:

Nope. I didn't pick a leader for TDH to begin with. Shingen came to me and asked to setup an official fleet; so I said OK. Now that he's gone, either someone else takes the reins or I kill the TDH forum and dB entry. I will give the raiders until next Friday to decide what they want to do, before I nuke it. And once that happens, no further official raider fleets will be created.

Guest Remo Williams

Well raiders do you still want to be an official fleet?

The only requirement from the existing members to become the new leader of the TDH is that you are active in MP and are willing to use Teamspeak to communicate with your fleet members during match play, and thatÔÇÖs about it.

Post here if your interested if no one post within a week I guess you'll all be out in the cold in the near future when MP really starts to rock and roll.

On a side note I never figured Shingen to be a quitter an obsessive complainer but not a quitter go figure.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Nope. I didn't pick a leader for TDH to begin with. Shingen came to me and asked to setup an official fleet; so I said OK.

No offence, but that's not the way I remember it. I don't think I ever asked to create a Raider fleet, I just got asked because I was the oldest original Indie still active.

quote:

Now that he's gone, either someone else takes the reins or I kill the TDH forum and dB entry.

I personally would elect either Jamotto or Takvah. I would stay with the raiders, but there just isn't enough internal (member) support for the fleet for me to spend my time trying to build it. It's more like pounding my head against a brick wall, then it is trying to build a group of like-minded Indies.

quote:

I will give the raiders until next Friday to decide what they want to do, before I nuke it. And once that happens, no further official raider fleets will be created.

I think if the Raiders want to stay Raiders, they need to get their Sh*t together and find out if they even want to be in a fleet. Sure, Raiders are a group of Indies, but if there is no commitment to be active in the fleet, then there is no fleet.

quote:

On a side note I never figured Shingen to be a quitter an obsessive complainer but not a quitter go figure.

Obsessive complainer or someone who deals with situations as they really are, and trys to make them better? I can handle both titles.

With all due respect to everyone involved, I don't want to be in a paper fleet! If I'm forced to work in an inactive fleet, I'd rather go to the Gammulans because at least they have decent ships! Currently, Raiders suck! I've done what I could, and I don't know what else to do. I'm sick and tired of trying to build something no one wants to participate in.

I commited a longtime ago to this game, and anyone that says different isn't being honest to the facts. Just like a lot of people here, I spend a major amount of my limited freetime either on the forums, in MP or playing SP.

[ 11-19-2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Shingen ]

quote:

No offense Remo but does this even concern you? This is a Raider matter and doesn't concern the self-righteous Prime Fleet. If and when we decide to move on or throw in the towel we'll make sure that Derek is properly informed of the status of TDH. Your assistance was not requested as far as I can tell and your meddling in our affairs is becoming tough to take. If you run the server or whatever fine... if we're around to shove a few missiles down your throats or to turn those "Love Boats" you boys fly around in to cinders and ash then interaction is fine but for now you're just seeming to rub salt into our wounds. Perhaps your time would be better spent working with your fleet rather than taking pot shots from your perch.

As for TDH and its future I don't know that I have time to run a fleet but perhaps if the duties were split into a "council" of some sort we'd be more efficient. I was thinking a Military Commander role, a Communications/Envoy role for dealing with other fleets and an Operations/Training Officer to schedule fleet maneuvers and tactics. Laying the burden of a free wheeling fleet like this on the shoulders of one person is wrong. The fact is that TDH isn't about being a paper fleet and Shingen is right about that. If we aren't playing we figure why bother and some of us have been concerned about the quality of the matches we'd be involved in. Obviously with UCAWA it seems that there is going to be a multiplayer revision. Can we be content to be active while waiting and hope for the best with revisions to the current UC? I don't know. Likely we need to discuss it. Obviously, in fleets that are about pretending to be active and challenged it is easy to just go along with the status quo. TDH is not content to behave this way and I think it is our strong suit because if and when we do decide to move forward it will be as a PLAYING, ENGAGING and ASS KICKING fleet... not some paper pony with a smug pencil pusher at the helm.

I think I've had my say.... as a RAIDER would. We aren't Prime/ISS/Gammulan and for that I am keenly grateful. I think we should take our deliberations to private channels where interruptions will be less likely to interfere in our decision processes.

Takvah out-

Since the TDH is an official fleet it concerns all of us, and since you guys don't give a damn about your fleet your right why should I.

You're making an assumption... yet again. Frankly, it's been hours since SC's ultimatum. It would be reckless for us to not PROPERLY consider the options and since we have a WEEK what's the point of smacking us around now?

I sure hope you were role playing some of that crap you just spouted bud if not your up a creek. I'll wait for your reply before I take any action on the crap you just post.

I'm a Raider... and I'm also a hell of an SOB. I didn't choose a Raider Fleet for the purpose of falling at the feet of some beaurocrat. You do what you have to. With me what you see is what you get and frankly if I did take a command role in TDH that would be the new philosophy of the fleet. We aren't PRIME, we aren't pressed lapels and false candor.

I could careless about the inactive bunch in the TDH right now I just want to see an official raider fleet to balance out my MP scoring system and I'm sure its going to take a whole new group before we see any action from the TDH.

More assumptions, I'm sure we're all very happy to hear that we have your support. *snickers* Gee, I'm sure we're all very sorry that we've offended the workings of your precious scoring system. I'd love to read it some time. What kind of difficulty multiplier are you applying to Raiders when we face those Cruise Ships of yours? I'm sure we'd like to also discuss that aspect of things, I mean I can handle the overwhelming odds I would just like to know that there is risk reward.

You think me try to help out was tough to take wait till you see what I do next!!

As I said, you do what you have to do. If I'm to be an example fine. I however won't watch Shingen (even if he is a member of this fleet that has fallen by the wayside) slandered. He gave it his all. I believe that. Maybe you should consider YOUR words before you write them.

Whatever your take is on TDH is irrelevant. We either have the week to work this out or we don't. The last time I checked SC was the alpha and omega on fleets. He gave us a week... so I would ask kindly that you back off and give us the time to determine what it is WE want to do... not what is expedient for YOUR system.

Frankly, I'll give you credit where credit is due. You sure as hell got my juices flowing with that tone of yours. I see though that what is good for the goose is not good for the gander, I guess some can dish but cannot take. Color me insubordinate but I'm not caving.

Takvah out-

Shingen, sometimes I have to wonder if I'm not talking to two distinctly different people. One minute you have one viewpoint and the next you change it. I was copping out? What? There are workarounds and now it's all about US? Sure there are workarounds. I think inactivity is more deeply rooted. This is just the kind of thing that has brought some of us to have a very real lack of confidence where it concerns the viability of this fleet.

We know that if we apply ourselves we're going to make minced meat of the competition. I believe in every guy that is a member of this fleet and I know that jamotto and others are capable commanders. If you want to scrub the membership and in doing that you believe you will find some new Xanadu then so be it. I don't think that members of this fleet feel any real loyalty to the status quo. I think we have an attitude that has never been fully expanded on. We are raiders and if we're going to be a fleet that has fun and DOES participate we need to make that the centerpiece of our group. We are irreverant. We are arrogant. We are unique. These are the things that should be exploited.

I know that I would be happy if we acted like RAIDERS. We should be popping Coronas, yucking it up and scrimmaging against ourselves to test tactics that WORK. We have never been a community and I don't lay the blame at your feet. I think that some of the methods employed were less than Raider like and that presented problems. If you want to motivate this fleet there are ways to do it. I know that my approach would be to get the RP based in us being Raiders and then to rejoice in our brotherhood and the fact that we are NOT ANYTHING like the military fleets. We should embrace the fact that we are rogues, a motley crew of opportunists and bandits and the brotherhood we find within that identity binds us. That's the STARTING POINT... from there I think we fast become the haven for FUN LOVING, real people that just so happen to KICK MAJOR ASS. I don't know that your style or your approach can breed that kind of environment but I know that if this was the approach of the fleet I would likely be more active and I feel confident in saying I think others would also be more active. Then again, I could be wrong... I'd like to hear from some of the others. Maybe I have it wrong in which case if things aren't going to make that kind of turn my continued involvement is pointless. I ran a Klingon fleet... we were irreverant, rag tag... our ships were weak and outnumbered but we were THE FLEET. Anybody with an attitude problem, a great sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a team joined us and we had a helluva lot of fun.

Takvah out-

Guest Remo Williams

Ok Shin you are raiders in RP NOT in real life and you have no right to talk to me or anyone else on this forum like that. IÔÇÖm not GALCOM except in RP. In RP I would talk to you guys like that because its make believe and I wouldn't mean it, but here in real life in this community unless you put stuff like that in RP brackets it doesn't happen and you've crossed a line here with your behavior.

Your posting rights are revoked also until further review of this topic.

Edit in: Slick move Shingen deleteing the posts. Now I'll have to try to get them from the cache so Derek can read them. I have copies of the posts I made that you deleted so that didn't work.

[ 11-20-2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Remo Williams ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

quote:

Nope. I didn't pick a leader for TDH to begin with. Shingen came to me and asked to setup an official fleet; so I said OK.

No offence, but that's not the way I remember it. I don't think I ever asked to create a Raider fleet, I just got asked because I was the oldest original Indie still active.

Whoever asked you, it wasn't me. I still have the PM; you were the one who came to me, so I said OK.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. After seeing last nights display by you (including the deleted posts - I knew it was a bad idea allowing the ability to delete posts) and Takvah, the fleet has now been disbanded and deleted from the dB.

The former TDH members who want to remain in a fleet, can go to any other fleet BUT Prime. I don't want any refugees from a dsyfunctional fleet, in Prime.

Shingen & Takvah, your posting rights will remain revoked (an action taken by Remo and confirmed as warranted by other admins) until further notice. You will not be banned; any other person would have been banned outright.

So, everyone needs to go into timeout. No further posts are allowed in this forum until I get around to deleting it. Anyone posting ANYTHING about TDH - or this incident - in ANY other forum, will be banned outright. If you want to discuss it, take it to IRC or email.

FWIW, I trust Remo, my Beta testers (and admins) implicitly and without question. When they (e.g. Remo) have stepped out of line or gone overboard, I have always stepped up and intervened, setting them straight. So, this business about sending me complaints about my admins (e.g. Remo) will not stand. Those of you who know, should know by now that loyalty is not something I take lightly. If my admins are out of line, if I'm not around to see it, there are many other admins around to keep me informed. This site is not lawless; even though the ecclectic group of people here, are mostly mad.

That is all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...