Star Fleets

This is directed to the SC...

If you should happen to read this post is it possible for me start up a separate Star Fleet as I can foresee that potential players over here in Malaysia having a hard time playing such a complex game online..I can just imagine the headaches that a slow internet connection brings. One moment you're flying happily in space the next flicker you see "Kaboom".

Just an totally unrelated question but heck i don't know where to put this post...

Feel free to comment on this guys, gals & aliens cwm32.gif

This is a repost from Newbie Commanders thread, yes I know that wasn't the right thread to post but as I indicated my connection is slow, slow, slow and it takes forever to refresh cwm22.gif

------------------

Cmdr Jeffery Eu

UCV Rising Sun

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Jeffery Eu (edited 02-05-2001).]

Everything is about your connection speed. The server would be next door and it would not change much.

Is your CPU is fast enough, enough mem, enough display mem, hardware acceleration? It could be something else than your connection speed.

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

UCV-StalkerIV

Searching for its fleet

"Hmmm... what's that? Nothing anymore."

Look this is how I see it,

As far as I know, if your connection is slow (it could be due to your own computer hardware or software, or your ISP,or even the WWW itself, it does not matter which one) then your ping is high, if your ping is high, then all hell would break loose when you play against or together with gamers with relatively low ping connections.

For example, imagine one person (gamer having low ping) like a superman, reacting faster due to relatively faster flow of information, zipping around, blowing assets away while a large group of persons (gamers having high ping)are plodding around due to slower flow of information or jerky flow of information. cwm36.gif Examples of this happeniing are in the massive Online Worlds currently available, Battlenet especially Diablo, Diablo 2, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and the list goes on.

Theory would suggest that if you were to implement localised groups of the same ping or internet connection, then this problem would be solved partially as everyone would be having the same problem instead. (If you can't beat them, join them). I might be wrong.

Therefore, instead of joining established fleets that would usually comprise of a mixture of relatively low ping players and high ping players, one or two fleets should be created to host high ping players which would allow less fortunate or well serviced players to play the game without being victimised by circumstances or connection.

That's just my take of the situation.

P.s. As a great person once said "Prevention is better than cure." cwm20.gif

------------------

Cmdr Jeffery Eu

UCV Rising Sun

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Jeffery Eu (edited 02-05-2001).]

Jeffrey, I understand the point you're trying to make. It is a novel one. Everyone wants better pings. However, you don't need to create a fleet.

What you are thinking of is a local SERVER. One that would benefit a ping deficient person such as yourself.

No new fleets are going to be created for some time. However, should you and your friends wish to play together as a group online, which is fine.

Understand, though, as far as these boards are concerned, the only RECOGNIZED formations are within the already organized fleets. If you wish to be associated with an official group you must join a fleet.

Now, as for servers... and this is just from memory... there was some discussion about Fleet Only servers. If DS decides to set one up in Malaysia, that's his decision alone. However, it will may be a Fleet only server and if you are not a member of a RECOGNIZED fleet you will not be able to join.

That is, assuming, this is still the plan. The MP server issue has changed a few times and I'm not sure of the current plan so don't quote me.

Yes, I know, lot's of rambling. So here's the short of it:

1. If you want to be part of an officially recognized group of players you MUST join an existing fleet.

2. If you want better pings get a faster connection on a closer server.

3. The previous two points are neither mutually inclusive nor exclusive.

4. I don't recognize you. You claim to be new. Before making grand requests become an active member of the community. It may lend more weight to your requests. Of course as an avid member of the community you'll soon find out just how seriously DS is likely to take your requests (TAC).

Just some helpful hints and as always are just the opinion of man that has seen pigs fly.

------------------

Insurgent Two, Akira

ICV Nevermore, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Minister of War,

Insurgency

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

ICQ 13379858

Thanks for the quick reply and the explanation Akira.

Let me clarify the situation.

Now I might be newly registered, that doesn't mean that I'm totally new to this forum, I was originally registered as lsscsce or Jeffery Eu, I can't remember which like 2 years ago back when I was in university in Australia..At that time i wasn't really involved on the RPG nor the discussion boards as that would take up too much of my precious time from BC2kad.

I've played the game since it's original WWW release, yes, the download in sections and play version. Then the Take Two version and then the Interplay version. Added to the fact that I was doing pretty well on my own so there was no questions posted by me.

When I graduated, I came back to Malaysia and concentrated mainly on RL until recently when I discovered about the new improved BCM and the slated MP community.

And BTW I'm desperate enough to want to be truly involved hence the reason for my post.

The questions that arises from your explanation would be

1. If and when a country specific server is setup, wouldn't it be a paradox when the fleets are performing manuevers as planned? Especially when let say A is on Japan server and B is on American server. In fact as I see it, there might even be a contradiction of commands and manuevers meaning A attacked Starbase A while viceversa B was protecting Starbase A due to the split in servers especially when A & B are on the same fleet.

This could be a matter of precise planning and strategy but it could happen. This is especially true if the SC's intention of establish a dynamic online world comes true, the coordination itself is a nightmare...especially on different continent servers..

2. Fleets are meant to be just a affliation with fellow gamers a "consenses ad idem" kind of thing...I think that it could and would be inconvenient for some players to apply for specific positions in legal fleets, but unable to join in the fun due to internet slowdown.

Anyway, it's just a thought, the SC might have foreseen it earlier and have planned for it.

I just performing my end of the task as a great person once said "Ask not what we can do for you, ask yourself what you can do instead."

------------------

Cmdr Jeffery Eu

UCV Rising Sun

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Jeffery Eu (edited 02-06-2001).]

I think the answer to your question lies in the very nature of internet gaming and internet "clans" (aka, fleet, squads, etc.. in short, people get together in a group for a common goal/to have more fun).

In this game, there are official fleets. These fleets are composed of sub-units.

So, just like in any other game, you can join in the fleet of your choice, get fellow gamers in your same time zone (Malaysia) or your neighbors, etc into the same fleet. You would then have created a "cell" of players under the same fleet that play at the same time. Congrats! You are basically a squadron at that point.

besides, you dont HAVE to join a fleet n order to fly with other people or be in the same unit as others. As a UCV you can form your own squadrons. They wont be part of the BC3K universe, but you can make your own group. Make a Merchant's Guild, a Mercenary Squadron, a Tourist Trap, whatever you want, that is what will make the BC games so rich: you will have the "official" military-oriented fleets and the "player" made organizations that provide the fuel for the fire.

Organization/Fleet management over different time zones is something each head of the organization/fleet has to deal with.

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 02-06-2001).]

Thanks for the clarification Tac, will do as you suggest... cwm32.gif Although I really want to join a Fleet and join in with the camaraderie, I guess considering my present capabilities (internet wise) I should join the UCV and try to develop a sub group from there.

The next logical question would be to whom do I apply to in order to register for the UCV group if it is necessary? the SC? or someone else?

------------------

Cmdr Jeffery Eu

UCV Rising Sun

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Jeffery Eu (edited 02-06-2001).]

Tac, the fleet/player thing is very well said.

We, fleets (Well, you, because i'm not yet decided on joining Orion or Wraith), will crush (or protect...) those newbies and show them who rules cwm41.gif !!

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

UCV-StalkerIV

Searching for its fleet

"Hmmm... what's that? Nothing anymore."

"I guess considering my present capabilities (internet wise) I should join the UCV and try to develop a sub group from there"

You can do that or see if the fleet you are interested in joining allows you to make a squadron inside their organization. Im sure that if you have a group of 4 or more people in your same time zone and in the same fleet the logical thing would be to put that group under the same flag. After all, unity is strength.

Go to http://www.3000ad.com/fleets/db/ to register yourself as a UCV. Please note the variety of castes that you can choose from (Police, Mercenary, Scientist, etc).

"We, fleets (Well, you, because i'm not yet decided on joining Orion or Wraith), will crush (or protect...) those newbies and show them who rules "

Crush if they decide to be of a caste/race hostile to Galcom and protect if they are neutral (and in Galcom space) or allied to Galcom. Dont have time to tell the newbies or vets apart, nuke em till they glow and let Murphy, The Great Messer of Things sort them out later. wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

"......Crush if they decide to be of a caste/race hostile to Galcom and protect if they are neutral (and in Galcom space) or allied to Galcom. Dont have time to tell the newbies or vets apart, nuke em till they glow and let Murphy, The Great Messer of Things sort them out later.
indent]<P>Couldn

------------------

Commander Greg Miller

GCV - Sark, Orion Starstation
(CENTRIS)

Fleet XO, Wing Leader,
Tsunami Battle Group

'Here cometh the storm!'

'Organization/Fleet management over different time zones is something each head of the organization/fleet has to deal with'.

Thanks Tac, that helps to answer a question i had posted earlier.

------------------

Cmdr. Tictoc

ICV-Lexicon, Spectre HQ, (Antis)

Spectre Fleet