To steal or not to steal

Cruis.In

Ok. so theres a game you want... buy it or pirate it?

I buy it.

But where I live, games arent sold on store shelves, ok, but they are sold online, digital download on ign, direct2drive, fuck yeah! Perfect for me.

dadadada.... (one click to buy, because ive ordered from d2d before, all my info is in already)

SORRY NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOUR AREA.

Game is only sold in US and CANADA....

WTF?????? they wont sell me the game.....I dont live in canada or US and sorry we only sell to people who live there.....

what do I do????? I tried paying for a game and they refuse to sell it.

only option left is to fly somewhere and get it or pirate it....

what would you do?

Yeah, publishers are beginning to lockdown on this.

The reason has to do with how the licensing is done. e.g. if company A has the rights to the North America (incl. Canada) rights, then company B who has the rights to the game in Europe can't sell the game online. And vice versa. This is particularly troublesome in cases where a deal was done and the licensee only has online distribution rights for only their retail (i.e. boxed) territories.

Digital distribution transcends borders and I'm surprised that it took them this long to crack down actually.

This of course is just going to cause more piracy.

However, this is the same practice behind region locking for DVD media and such.

You can always use a proxy to spoof the region checking I think; though that would depend on how they actually implemented it. If they're checking the IP address, then getting a US proxy is trivial. There are many free proxies out there (e.g. Hide My IP is one of them) which can give you an IP address located anywhere in the world. Some are free and some are not.

why dont they do a world wide release like for movies?

years ago in the ninties it used to take months before a new movie came down here in the cinema, of course within recent years, new movies have opened the same day as in the U.S

cuts down on piracy and in the end makes the movie more money by being available almost everywhere at once.

i think its possible that they go according to my billing information...not my i.p

I use GamersGate. They have restrictions on some of their products, but the majority of the products (including 3000AD) aren't restricted geographically.

The restriction is not up to the online distributor (like Gamers Gate). Its the IP owners who place the restrictions. e.g. Gamers Gate sells our games worldwide because we don't impose any such restrictions. If we did, then Gamers Gate would only be able to sell to only the territories that we tell them to.