Night At The Movies - Star Trek

Raziel

Caught this yesterday. Boy, they did a damn fine job giving the franchise to J.J. The move is the best ST ever. Period. End of story.

10/10

Hopefully this gives you inspiration for another UC sequel....Come on, we all know you're craving for it!

Hopefully this gives you inspiration for another UC sequel....Come on, we all know you're craving for it!

Not gonna happen. UCCE v2 is the end of the line for those kind of games. After KnightBlade (a much smaller and different game), then its our own space combat MMO (our last game).

Undiscovered Country = Best Trek eva but this came close ^_^

As good as that was, this new one opens up a whole new wave for the franchise to go.

I like all the doors that are opening now.

The new one has my vote for best Trek film ever.

Wow, what a disappointment.

So, TOS is my favourite series of StarTrek, I love the character interactions and the atmosphere/setting that it takes place in. Its not the campyness, nor the somewhat flawed acting that draws me in.

Fast forward to the new movie, once it came out in theatre I ignored anything and everything about it and tried my best to love it. Because, it was a new StarTrek movie, which is not something that happens everyday.Well, I wish this hadn't happened. In my opinion this movie is like if you take everything that made the show unique and interesting, and threw it out. By this ofcourse I mean the settings look, the characters and their interactions. All of this is gone, or played only as a bit of fanservice and nothing more.

Instead we get a movie that has some really nice space scenes, a ton of battle scenes, and a utterly forgettable plot that doesn't explain enough to make sense for the most part. Overall, it is nothing but a sell-out to gain money from a wider range of audiances. While I have no issue with this, I wish that they'd left the original series alone and created a new movie-based ship and its crew to do it with, therefore not tarnishing the legacy of series that started the entire series.

Overall, perhaps 4 or 5 /10.

Somehow we've all seen the new Star Trek film before... :D

I kinda liked the movie for what it tried to do, but if you expected anything along the lines of the ST movies with Kirk, Spock and McCoy, you'll run indeed the risk of getting somewhat let down.

Pros: Overall the new cast did a great job, but it somewhat lacked the charisma and experience of the veteran actors, which is understandable. The action and battle sequences were amazing, as far as I can tell, the amount of bang for the buck in scifi movies is cumulative over time. The ship design of the Enterprise is nice for the most part, with the exception of the engine room which looks like it was taken from the Wonka chocolate factory. :) Kirk, Spock, "Bones" McCoy, Scotty and Uhura were perfectly cast. Not sure why, but having a scene set on an ice planet is always a plus. While I liked seeing Leonard Nimoy reprise his role as Spock, he took away precious time from Nero (see below). Some funny moments. It's a roller-coaster ride all the way through that ends five minutes before the end.

Cons: I thought Eric Bana's Nero was underused, it's never good for a main villain to play third or fourth fiddle (I guess he could have really used the time spent on Leonard Nimoy). Furthermore, where did they find those Mad Max Romulans?? I didn't really buy the casting of Chekov (his exaggerated faked/real accent being the least of his problems as the curly haired actor is Russian) and Sulu who acted in a too generic way and didn't really get anywhere near George Takei's personality. It wasn't the actors' fault, IMHO just the wrong choice. No Klingons, 'nuff said. Of all classic ST Aliens, except for the blue ale, the Romulans are the least interesting as they come across as just Vulcans with an attitude problem. Here they just shaved them bald and gave them facial tattoos. Talk about aliens on a budget. I know this isn't supposed to be Star Wars (see clip above), but the physical effects team didn't have much to do this time. The why-the-long-face guy at the bar was very funny though. Scotty's pet Ewok with scales not so much. Plot pot holes. The transporters have been relegated once again, if not consistently so, to magical plot devices.

I have no doubt that the franchise still has a lot of life in it. Considering what came after ST: TMP, they couldn't really go wrong with this one. There is no going back to the original show and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's a reboot, not a remake.

7.5/10

• 1 month later...

Undiscovered country is NOT the best Trek ever. It is firmly in the number two spot behind TWOK.

As far as the reboot goes, what we have is a great sci-fi action flick that is Star Trek in name only. Nevertheless, I did enjoy it for what it did deliver on.

7/10

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't think this was on par with true Star Trek themes. Most of my friends who are Star Trek fans keep saying this is the best one yet :boldblue:

Why couldn't J.J. Abrams have ruined some other SF franchise...the ending was just completely terrible and thoroughly ruined Star Trek forever (unless the next one sets things right).

Wrath of Kahn sucked.

Undiscovered Country

Star Trek

The Motion Picture

Best trek films period :boldblue:

Yikes! I gotta know why you think so brother. Why do you think the Wrath sucked, why do you rank Undiscovered Country(which some think ripped off TWOK some)first, and just to add fuel to the fire, which is the worst Trek movie. I'd like to stick with the original series just to keep the discussion coherent for now. :salute:

Yikes! I gotta know why you think so brother. Why do you think the Wrath sucked, why do you rank Undiscovered Country(which some think ripped off TWOK some)first, and just to add fuel to the fire, which is the worst Trek movie. I'd like to stick with the original series just to keep the discussion coherent for now. :P

Maybe sucked was too harsh, certainly wasn't as bad as say Voyage Home or *shudder* Final Frontier. Undiscovered country was the first trek film I ever saw, so it holds special place for me. I've viewed it as space opera done right. Plot wasn't outstanding and had some hammy moments, but it picks you up and takes for such a great ride, it's impossible not to love it :boldblue:

And I say the same for Star Trek, plot on the whole is pretty meh, but it's damn good adventure.

The Motion Picture, however is different. Of all the Trek films I think it is the only one to really capture the essence of Star Trek. Not just about space battles, or half nekkid green women, but exploration and the discovery new ideas, wonders/horrors of space. All culminating with the twist in the end about V'ger. Bloody brilliant :salute:

I yam what I yam but well said brother. I can dig where you're coming from in each instance. We can also certainly agree on a mutual disgust of Final Frontier. Ugh, indeed. :boldblue:

• 2 months later...

I finally got to see this and I would also have to rate it at 10/10.

I started watching it thinking that this movie would screw up the franchise. By the end of the movie, I've come to the realization that I don't think it did screw anything up. :beerchug:

-Sho

I finally got to see this and I would also have to rate it at 10/10.

I started watching it thinking that this movie would screw up the franchise. By the end of the movie, I've come to the realization that I don't think it did screw anything up. :D

-Sho

Funny enough, my wife who's absolutely not a sci-fi fan loved it, as did I. This is what movies should be like!