Movie Night - District 9

aramike

Loved it. What a flick, and to be honest, a surprise.

D9 was poignant, ballsy (seriously, doing a movie about even alien segregation based in South Africa, with its history of apartheid is pretty gutsy), seemed more anchored to reality than most scifi, plus it had some really good action.

As an aside, even the name is smart: District 9 is no doubt a reference to District 6 near Cape Town, that saw forced relocation in the '70s. My only criticism was that the first 30 minutes was too vague of a narrative, and the viewer probably was a bit detached. But damn, the film does a fine job drawing you in when the time comes!

9/10

I was planning on seeing this after my Steam stint was completed, but I heard that it was too gory? Is that the case?
It was a bit gory, but not disturbingly so. Think of a guy getting shot and disintegrating in a split second rather than drawn-out graphic scenes.

Let's put it this way - I HATE overly-graphic gore fests (like Saw and its ilk). The gore in this movie is, for lack of a better term, comical. Didn't bother me at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I did!! Seems I completely forgot to post about it. I absolutely loved it. Quite brilliant how that was shot and the sci-fi feel was a tad more realistic and conveyed (at least to me) how things would probably be if an alien race showed up. I like how they didn't overdo the weapons and such.

I am glad its doing well (approaching $100m domestically already!!) and I hope they make a sequel in which he comes back for the rest of his people. That promise he made seemed quite sincere and was particularly moving (as was the whole movie). I'm definitely going to go see it again before it ends it run and its a day one Blu-Ray buy for me.

Yes I did!! Seems I completely forgot to post about it. I absolutely loved it. Quite brilliant how that was shot and the sci-fi feel was a tad more realistic and conveyed (at least to me) how things would probably be if an alien race showed up. I like how they didn't overdo the weapons and such.

I am glad its doing well (approaching $100m domestically already!!) and I hope they make a sequel in which he comes back for the rest of his people. That promise he made seemed quite sincere and was particularly moving (as was the whole movie). I'm definitely going to go see it again before it ends it run and its a day one Blu-Ray buy for me.

Maybe you should make a movie of your own.

All anime, UC Space, all star-trek style xD..

Im still waiting 2 see district 9

Glad you liked it! I figured you would, considering what seems to be your tastes and the pure brilliance of the film.