WTFO?

So. I'm trying a single-player ROAM scenario, taking all the defaults.

I haven't lost any shuttles, fighters, or support craft. One marine has been killed by intruders, but I hired a replacement. I've had a few engagements, but nothing big; I've taken out a few fighters and a couple of larger craft. Done some mining and traveled around the Terrain and Syrion quadrants.

I also have -6000 odd experience points.

I do not see anything in the appendix that would allow me to rack up -6000 bleeping experience points; especially since (as far as I can tell) I don't have a patrol zone in a ROAM scenario.

Could someone enlighten me?

I may be wrong about this; since it has been awhile since I've last played - but I think destroying friendly assets (fighters, ships, bases, stations etc..) will earn you negative experience. How managed to pull it off is anyone's guess :)

You get negative exp even when friendlies are killed in your area as you failed in your mission to protect them.

Keep i mind you're a commander of a military capital ship so your duty is to provide security to the area of space you're patrolling.

OK, so what defines the area that I am patrolling? Is it *anything* in the bleeping Terran quadrant? Or just whatever I can see in the TRS? If I leave a region, how long am I "blamed" for events that happen within it? Is simply having a probe in the region enough to lose EXP?

I'm not getting any SOS messages. (Nor have I destroyed any friendly or neutral assets. If it isn't red in the TRS, I don't go after it.)

OK, so what defines the area that I am patrolling? Is it *anything* in the bleeping Terran quadrant? Or just whatever I can see in the TRS? If I leave a region, how long am I "blamed" for events that happen within it? Is simply having a probe in the region enough to lose EXP?

I'm not getting any SOS messages. (Nor have I destroyed any friendly or neutral assets. If it isn't red in the TRS, I don't go after it.)

Its whatever the immediate region your in. I believe it only counts for unarmed ships though. Mercs are the worst, get -EP for killing them, get -EP for not.

Richard, just go capture some starstations in enemy space, sneak up on some enemy carriers, and go kill every bad guy you see. EXP loss won't be a problem for you then.

Hey, if you don't kill friendly assets, don't worry. You won't have a net loss of EXP unless you just float around in space 24/7 doing nothing.

OK, so what defines the area that I am patrolling? Is it *anything* in the bleeping Terran quadrant?

Only the region your CC is located in.

If I leave a region, how long am I "blamed" for events that happen within it?

If you were there when the events started, you will be responsible. e.g. if you are there and a friendly is destroyed, you are to blame. If you then leave and another one enters while you were NOT there and it gets destroyed, you are not to blame.

Is simply having a probe in the region enough to lose EXP?

Only your CC is subject to these rules.

I'm not getting any SOS messages

If something is destroyed immediately, how is it going to send an SOS?