Fanfiction, and the legallize behind it...

Well, I ran into a problem that I can't really solve since it's hard to FIND actual answers to them.

I know the law well enough, it is against the law to sell your work for monetary gains. The thing is, an interesting thing is happening on one of the boards I'm a member of. This being a write-a-phon, where you write a story and the person who has the best story get's a five doller steam game.

The owner of this board is stuck on whether or not to allow fanfictions, or derivative works. There's the issue where it's unsure whether it's truly illega, or not. The reward isn't a constant stream of money (It's a small steam game) but it's still a legal issue.

In my mind; it is illegal, and does in fact break the licensing agreement, but I wanted some more opinions on this matter. I know Derek might be able to help out better with this since he owns a company and such, but anyone's opinions are welcome and accepted.

I don't see it as Illegal.

It's basically entering your work into a contest. The person with the best work, wins a reward, such as a steam game.

In the perspective your seeing it in, it might be illegal. But not everyone on the board gets a reward, now do they? If only one or two people get the reward, it would basically just constitute as a re-occuring contest. But if it was given for every peice of work submitted, then it might become more of a legal issue.

And what is the board owner going to do with the work? Write a book with it and hopefully it will be a bestseller? The board owner isn't gaining much of anything except maybe a good read.