UCCE2 under windows 7

Hello, does anyone here have any tips for increasing the stability of UCCE2 under windows 7?

Managed to get saved games working (Vista and 7 limit what files can be modified in the program folder) by not installing in the programs folder, and giving admin rights to the app...

The only real issue, which is kind of a biggie, are the frequent random CTDs, usually triggered when a menu item is clicked.

Was wondering if anyone here had any luck in decreasing the frequency of the crashes.

Driver updates, perhaps? Running the game through an emulator?

The odd thing is, is that the free version of universal combat seemed to run stably... So it may be a graphics driver issue, since the only real difference between the two games is the graphics overhaul. Thoughts? (Granted, there were the occasional glitches, like black screens... but that was a result of alt tabbing x.x)

First off, put your system specs in your signature if your going to be asking for help in the Tech support forum.

Second, make sure ALL drivers are up-to-date. You could also try running UCCE2 in compatibility mode for Vista or something like that.

I'm afraid there are a few things that will make your game crash. Going to commlink (or was it mission?) will make your game crash, shift+h will also make your game crash. Thats for me anyways. There might be other key combos that will crash it.

NONE of those crashes that both of you are talking about are related to the game. So check your installation as well as your system.

Also, just because there is a new OS out doesn't mean that legacy games will support it. If you can get the game to run on Vista and Win7, good luck - but don't be surprised if a) it doesn't run B) you get un-explained crashes

K, added this to sig.

Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Intel Core2 Duo 2.53GHZ

6 Gigs of ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M 1Gig

I'm going to check to see if there is a sound driver update, as video drivers seem up to date.

Failing that, do you suppose a different operating system could run on this box on another partition?

Not sure how a 32 bit operating system would react to the 6 gigs of installed ram, perhaps ignore everything beyond 4?

Failing that, do you suppose a different operating system could run on this box on another partition?

Not sure how a 32 bit operating system would react to the 6 gigs of installed ram, perhaps ignore everything beyond 4?

The amount of RAM makes no different whatsoever. Check the game's system requirements, update all your drivers (as well as DirectX) and go from there but my guess is that you're running a 32-Bit legacy game on the latest 64-Bit OS. There's your problem.

I'm running one of the most complex set-ups imaginable, and it's as stable as an old English table for me!! But I do play Echo quite a bit more often I must admit. This should be irrelevant though, as it's the same codebase (as far as I know SC?!)

Win7-64 .... all over-clocked and watercooled, Eyefinity 120hz.

The only thing for me is the wide view makes the extremes of the X axis clip for objects (Planets / Ships) .... understandable .... SC would never have catered for 5040 resolution. (This is perfectly fixed for the newer All Aspect Engine ... beautiful).

All in all, for an "older" title, very stable.

A 32bit OS will ignore RAM past about 3.8gb as it just can't address it. You should NOT have to resort to multi-boot to stabilize your out-of-control Battlecruiser ... just persevere with your rig. As the other boyz have said, get all your drivers locked down. Maybe even set your page (swap) file to a static size instead of dynamic - etc etc etc etc. But I personally didn't have to do ANYTHING specifically for ANY 3000AD title since the reaaaalllllllyyyyy old stuff.