Most recent UC?

Mayjori

So I ran across DS's name on rockpaperscissors and started reading up on 3000AD (WTF i havent heard of you guys before is boggling my mind right now....) and was reading about UC and just about fell out of my seat when i realized I had missed it...... so I decided to look into it.

I found:

http://www.fileplanet.com/183569/180000/fileinfo/Universal-Combat-Free-Full-Singleplayer

on fileplanet (obviously;), and am wondering if this is the latest greatest (especially engine/graphics wise) iteration of UC or do i need to purchase (once i have the funds)

Universal Combat CE v2.0 to experience the latest and greatest iteration of UC?

DOes UC support 1920 x 1080?

Just to make sure im reading everything correctly, UC is the latest FPS/Space Fighting combining game you guys have?

I still can't get over that I havent ran across you guys before >.<, its like I was going to church and they failed to tell me about the bible or something after 10 years of going.

DS, LOVE how outspoken and blunt you are, great reads and I'm looking forward to becoming an avid 3000AD supporter :D

thanks for any assistance/info!!

Nah, the free version of UC dates back to some years ago already. I'm not too much into legal stuff, but as soon as Derek's deals with the people selling his games are over, he provides the games for free with some limitations (UC free is singleplayer only) instead of greedily clutching to them.

So the latest version is Universal Combat: Collector Edition, which is still on sale. It features all of the campaigns from the previous games (including the battlecruiser series) as well as all of their Instant scenarios. I can't remember if it adds any campaign/scenario but that's very likely.

It comes in two flavors, UC:CE V1 and UC:CE V2. Though I bet derek would urge you to buy V2 as it's using the graphics engine from Galcom: echo squad which is way nicer, and the adds the engstrom carrier from that very same game, which I must admit is a fine craft, I would personnaly recommend that you buy UC:CE V1, as I think it is the most stable game of the whole UC/BC series, and it's quite nice looking (some slight graphical improvements over the free version of UC), and if I remember correctly, UC:CE V2 has no multiplayer while V1 has. It doesn't feature any of the scripting tools that V1 does either.

There, you have my opinion ;)

If you want the most recent game in the UC series, look at Universal Combat CE or Universal Combat CE v2.0. Depending on your computer and whether or not you care about multiplayer, you should probably get v2.0. You can find more information about all these games over at the game's page. Note that the main site is undergoing some revisions atm, so some links maybe missing etc.

You can of course try the freeware version of the original UC which was released in 2004.

As for your question about resolution, I can't really tell you for sure as I don't have any screen supporting that resolution, but I would make a guess and say yes. And if the game doesn't give you the option, you can still modify the .ini file storing resolution by hand which should work (but don't tell Derek, he hates users doing unsupported tweaks and then coming and ask for support :P).

thank you for the prompt response you two, I really appreciate it!

I'll be picking up UCCE 2.0 in the next couple of weeks based on that info :). I installed the free one briefly, but im a bit of a graphics whore (when i have the option ;), and have a very nice gaming machine.

How active are the multiplayer servers and whats it like, I might pick up V1.0 as well if the mp is decent?

You wouldnt happen to know if the Saitek X52 works with the game on Windows 7 64 do you?

thank you for the prompt response you two, I really appreciate it!

I'll be picking up UCCE 2.0 in the next couple of weeks based on that info :). I installed the free one briefly, but im a bit of a graphics whore (when i have the option ;), and have a very nice gaming machine.

How active are the multiplayer servers and whats it like, I might pick up V1.0 as well if the mp is decent?

You wouldnt happen to know if the Saitek X52 works with the game on Windows 7 64 do you?

The UCCE version 2.0 does support 1920 x 1080 resolution.

The Saitek X52 should work on Windows 7 64. Driver here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Saitek%20X52%20Pro%20USB%20Flight%20Game%20Controller&v=Saitek&uid=PS28&pf=3&pi=8&c=Mice%2C%20Keyboards%20%26%20Input%20Devices&sc=Game%20Controllers&os=32-bit

The scope of the game will be the biggest you've ever seen in singleplayer. ;)

I personally find multiplayer fun when its with multiple people, not a 1v1. However, the host needs to have a good connection, otherwise gameplay will lag, and that is not fun when there is more than a 1 second delay. I'm not qualified to tell you if you should or should not buy it.

I personally find multiplayer fun when its with multiple people, not a 1v1. However, the host needs to have a good connection, otherwise gameplay will lag, and that is not fun when there is more than a 1 second delay. I'm not qualified to tell you if you should or should not buy it.

thanks for the info, after lots more reading today Ill stick with v2.0 and be picking up AAW as well, though i havent seen anywhere does aaw have the whole walking around in cap ships deal that UC does? How different are the games?

I don't have AAW so i can't give you any comparisons.You don't walk around in capital ships in the UC series but in AAW it is there. But it is to my knowledge that AAW is a first person shooter, and you have no control over cap ships, only fighters, vehicles, and gunships. UCCE you can do everything, but ground combat i imagine isn't as enjoyable as in AAW. I dislike it very much in the UC series, so my marines tend dying fighting 15+ intruders onboard my Engstrom instead.. I just find the ground combat horrific. :throwcomputer:

Also, if your going to start playing UCCE 2.0, i suggest not choosing the Engstrom Carrier unless you like being overpowered.

The turrets blow everything out of the sky, and the only thing capable of taking down your shields are the missiles launched by most space stations. You kill every ship like a knife through butter; basically there is no challenge playing with it. I've already gotten quite bored with it.

There is no walking around inside cap ships in any of our games.

The first person engine in AAW is by far more superior to the UC games.

The fps issue in UC has nothing to do with anything other than the AI of the personnel.

son of a... i totally misinterpreted what i read, i got so excited thinking you could, lol.

There is no walking around inside cap ships in any of our games.

The first person engine in AAW is by far more superior to the UC games.

The fps issue in UC has nothing to do with anything other than the AI of the personnel.

son of a... i totally misinterpreted what i read, i got so excited thinking you could, lol.

yah, in UC games you can see and track personnel moving through the ship via the PERSCAN system; but that's it.