Free to play vs. paying to play

shooby

Oh cool, a clean post of mine that didn't violate any sort of rule got deleted. Love when that happens.

I deleted your post, Dank Nugs. You originally asked a question and the SC responded to it very clearly, I might add. But then you had to add a response that said something to the effect, "Nice way of side stepping the question." I took that as the start of a troll and made my decision. If that was not your intention, then I apologize.

We run a very organized and tight forum here and have been around a very long time. That's why you rarely see, if any at all, trolls here and unorganized threads heading off in any direction.

Now, with this matter hopefully resolved, let us now get this thread back on topic.

-Sho

Given the scope and scale of the game, it would be crazy to not have some sort of public (invite only) Beta testing.

But only when it's ready. As Kalshion so eloquently put it, the quote around here is "It'll be ready when it's ready, and right now, it ain't ready."

Just be patient! :)

-Sho

• 3 weeks later...

honestly that sounds more like b2p than f2p (the pricing model).

I'm going to assume that later on down the line we will be buying expansion packs for new maps and what not, driving this game further into the territory of b2p.

I honestly would suggest switching marketing approaches and flat out title this game b2p (with a content restricted trial mode), the b2p market is pretty vacant with Guild Wars as it's only notable resident so you'd be getting quite a bit of free notoriety while side stepping the antagonism of f2p haters (as post number 2 is a good example of).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised that no company has ever embraced BOTH business models in a single game: FTP (in whatever variation) and traditional monthly subscriptions.

People have strong feelings both ways and offering servers with each option would make everyone happy.

Or am I missing some obvious reason why nobody has ever done this?

I'm surprised that no company has ever embraced BOTH business models in a single game: FTP (in whatever variation) and traditional monthly subscriptions.

People have strong feelings both ways and offering servers with each option would make everyone happy.

Or am I missing some obvious reason why nobody has ever done this?

Lord Of The Rings online do that. Montly fee for VIP playing and FTP with microtransaction for the rest.

It is working pretty fine it seems.

Everquest 2 also does this with their Freeport server (F2P with Microtransactions or a monthly fee) actually, them going this route with only it 'one' server is actually what killed the Monthly Subscription only servers (but, that's what the idiots get for whining that F2Pers will destroy the community, if anything, the F2P community is more well behaved than the live community actually.)

Regardless, for EQ2 you also have that same model. You can play the game for free, with natural restrictions of course, and if you want to you can pay extra money for more characters, more classes and races to play and also using better spells and such.

So, that being said, when you begin to get rare, special weapons, what happens then? Is there no way to prevent a weapon from being dropped? How rare are weapons?

There are no rare weapons.

The only way to prevent forced item drops is to not get killed.

So, that being said, when you begin to get rare, special weapons, what happens then? Is there no way to prevent a weapon from being dropped? How rare are weapons?

There are no rare weapons.

The only way to prevent forced item drops is to not get killed.

Sorry for the questions, but is there anything that you work to achieve that can not be lost?

• 4 weeks later...

Headshots. Yes.

Hi,

I'd first like to say that I'm very pleased to see a company taking on the ambitious endeavor of creating another MMOFPS - one of the best additions to the online world of gaming. As a long time PlanetSide fan and player I've been looking for something similar I can sink my teeth into, and this seems right up my alley. The screenshots looks great, the key features(being able to go inside every building for instance) all sound amazing, and so far I'm very optimistic. Let's just hope the controls do the game justice. All can be lost in a game good without good game mechanics for the FPS players(take Face of Mankind as an example).

That said, best of luck to the team! I will be closely following this game and hoping the best for release.

Now that I'm done sucking up I'd also like to add some constructive criticism regarding headshots.

I very strongly disagree with headshots for a simple logical reason: survivability. I hate to compare LoD to PS because I'm sure you guys hear it all the time but nevertheless PS is a great game with some very good ideas that can be borrowed or made better.

One thing that was strong within the minds of the devs for PS(Planetside) was not being able to one hit kill someone(save tanks shooting infantry, or boomers, etc...). This includes no headshots and not being able to snipe someone while they are driving a vehicle. Why is this important? And why not include more realism?

Realism often works well in theory, but sometimes doesn't translate well to games(WW2 Online had wonderful large scale maps but this made is almost too big and driving places took forever; Gotta have a healthy balance of boring and fun elements in place). Excluding realism, in the sense of no one hit kills(e.g. headshots), allows a player to live longer and this is one very strong point of PlaneStide.

No other FPS allows you the possibility of living for so damn long, and quite frankly one of the coolest experiences while playing a FPS game is living without dieing for an hour. The average lifespan in most FPS game is what? - 30 seconds to a minute? Greater survivability allows the player to feel even more immersed into his or her environment, ironically in turn making it feel more realistic and quite simply, more fun(who likes dieing anyway?). People won't walk/drive 5 miles only to get sniped the second the exit their vehicle, and considering the massive open terrain I think this is a very critical aspect that could make or break gameplay. Taking a sniper shot - even to the head, save bare minimum armor if that's even in game - would in theory hurt dramatically but not kill, requiring even more skill for the sniper class, setting them apart from others players, the way it should be(all too often sniping is easy in FPS games and I never understood that.)

In general this makes infantry-to-infantry combat tougher(anyone who has had played PS knows it takes some time and skill to be a deadly killer...except with a jackhammer of course, lol), but this has the effect of creating a steeper learning curve which can only add to the replay-ability factor.

I would strongly urge the Dev team to reevaluate whether including headshots is a necessary element that will increase user enjoyment or whether it will be a nuisance that takes away from what it really means to play a MMOFPS and not simply a FPS like Bad Company 2(great game btw): that key element being a persistent world with a higher degree of survivability allowing the possibility to live very long.

While I understand what you are saying, headshots are here to stay.

What you don't know is that there is a defense against it: a full body impenetrable Aurora shield which when activated prevents you from being injured from all but a direct rocket launcher hit.

While I understand what you are saying, headshots are here to stay.

What you don't know is that there is a defense against it: a full body impenetrable Aurora shield which when activated prevents you from being injured from all but a direct rocket launcher hit.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Interesting reply nevertheless. Does this shield require stamina/energy? Does it deactivate once you get hit? How many shots can it withstand? How long is the recharge? Are we to assume all players will start fights with the shield already activated or will some players sacrifice this "implant" for something else? How does this differ or is it the same as personal shield from Planetside? Do I know too much? You're not gonna have to kill me are you??

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see your opting for both free to play and buy to play models. This greatly expands your player base while also expanding your potential profits. Not going with monthly fees is also a good idea since most shooter players have proven they do not like this. Cheers!