Questions from the FAQ

Dubanka

I just stumbled into this site, after one of my guildies posted the link.

I've been reading through your faq and have a few questions:

1. In game population. In your FAQ you state that each continent will be limited to 256 players. What does this number entail? Is this in game population? Is this total toons logged in the area? In a base capture scenario, what is to prevent one facction from simply overwhelming another (offensively/defensively) by preemptively massing toons on continent and preventing an enemy from even being there?

2. Factional model. You list 2 factions. Is the game purely faction vs. faction or is inter faction combat permitted (ie. guild vs. guild)?

3. Player assets. Assets are listed as mostly vehicles. you payment model lists the ability for a premium account member to buy housing. The FAQ lists these as small, basically vanity units that will house up to 4 people. Are there any plans for players to have the ability to build their own major bases (again, in support of a gvg combat model)? or will we be strictly relying on fighting over static assets (ie. keeps in daoc)?

4. The fAQ is kind of confusing (im a simple fella) with regards to the asset destruction...it says that player housing is protected, that you pay a lease on it, that it's protected when you're not in game. How many of a fire team have to be online for a base not to be protected? How do / can you destroy another players assets? what happens to 'your stuff' when your asset is destroyed.

5. Looting. Is there player looting?

6. End game. What is the point? capturing bases and all that. But is there a larger agenda...there are no resources, no crafting, thus no trade or economy, besides just blowin stuff up...why should i care? Not to be flippant...jsut there are game sthat hold your attention for 30 days, and games that hold your attention for years.

7. How, as a dev, are you not going to 'burn' the player base :P the last batch of open world/ffa games that have hit the market have been painful, embarrassing launches. Darkfall. MO. Earthrise. Xsyon (trudging through that one right now). The premise of an easily accessible, yet complex, open world pvp game is a grossly untapped niche in the market place- but every release seems to be worse than the last. So, again, not to try to offend, but what level of design features do you plan to release with...what is planeed to be added after launch?

Thanks

1. In game population. In your FAQ you state that each continent will be limited to 256 players. What does this number entail? Is this in game population? Is this total toons logged in the area? In a base capture scenario, what is to prevent one facction from simply overwhelming another (offensively/defensively) by preemptively massing toons on continent and preventing an enemy from even being there?

The answer to most of your questions is already in the FAQ. Specifically this section.

There are no "toons" in the game. Even the marine clones which can be hired, are so expensive and hard to obtain, that it is not likely that there will be many of them in the game world. Even so, they do not count as clients and thus do not affect the player limit.

2. Factional model. You list 2 factions. Is the game purely faction vs. faction or is inter faction combat permitted (ie. guild vs. guild)?

Faction info over here.

The game is pure PvP for the most part. Combat between guilds of the same faction is not allowed because that is not the theme of the game and thus is considered friendly fire and comes with very stiff penalties.

3. Player assets. Assets are listed as mostly vehicles. you payment model lists the ability for a premium account member to buy housing. The FAQ lists these as small, basically vanity units that will house up to 4 people. Are there any plans for players to have the ability to build their own major bases (again, in support of a gvg combat model)? or will we be strictly relying on fighting over static assets (ie. keeps in daoc)?

Asset info over here.

Player assets including everything ranging from weapons and inventory to vehicles and housing.

While there are large prefabs availabe for those who can afford to buy and maintain them, there are no plans to introduce major bases for player ownership. Also, these F.O.B and F.A.R.P units are not primarily vanity units because stocked properly, they operate just like a standard base because they are geared towards guilds, though individuals can own them too. Just because one of these can only support a certain number of players inside, doesn't prevent others from lingering outside (in the terrain) since these are not instanced.

4. The fAQ is kind of confusing (im a simple fella) with regards to the asset destruction...it says that player housing is protected, that you pay a lease on it, that it's protected when you're not in game. How many of a fire team have to be online for a base not to be protected? How do / can you destroy another players assets? what happens to 'your stuff' when your asset is destroyed.

Player housing info over here,

If the owner is not online, it is protected. This means that it cannot be destroyed, nobody can enter it etc. If a guild owns it, then the guild leader can give another player the ability to unlock it.

That protection costs money in the form of insurance that, like the lease, is paid periodically.

These assets are just standard objects which, like buildings, vehicles etc, can be destroyed in the same fashion. Since it would require some specific ordnance (missiles) to destroy them, it's not something that is as easy as it sounds.

There is no "stuff" in these units. Its not like you can buy flower pots and such. So if they are destroyed, you're not losing your inventory items and such, since they are not stored there - they are virtual items which are part of your account, not your building. This may change of course since we're still in development.

5. Looting. Is there player looting?

To the extent that if you kill someone you can nab whatever inventory they have, yes. Assuming you can carry it. However, you can't take stuff that are tagged with the player's ID. This is not a game where you're going to be running around with 50 weapons in your bag. Nope. You can carry up to 3 weapons at the most, 4 and tons of ammo if you have a backpack. And if so, your movement is hampered by the weight of all the crap you're carrying around.

6. End game. What is the point? capturing bases and all that. But is there a larger agenda...there are no resources, no crafting, thus no trade or economy, besides just blowin stuff up...why should i care? Not to be flippant...jsut there are game sthat hold your attention for 30 days, and games that hold your attention for years.

There is no end game, other than the will to survive. To the military minded, taking a base is end game enough - and its not as easy as it sounds. Plus, the game is designed for hosting periodic ad-hoc events. For e.g. the first event we're going to host upon release centers around the Nightbridge base and what happened to it. It will be EPIC. Not saying anything else beyond that. ;)

There are resources.

There is crafting, but not in the standard context for other MMO games.

This is not a trading game and we don't care about an economy. It is not that kind of game.

This is the game that we're building and it's not designed or developed to cater to everyone. So it may not be for you.

7. How, as a dev, are you not going to 'burn' the player base :P the last batch of open world/ffa games that have hit the market have been painful, embarrassing launches. Darkfall. MO. Earthrise. Xsyon (trudging through that one right now). The premise of an easily accessible, yet complex, open world pvp game is a grossly untapped niche in the market place- but every release seems to be worse than the last. So, again, not to try to offend, but what level of design features do you plan to release with...what is planeed to be added after launch?

You will have to wait and see. All the games you listed were not developed by us. And you can't paint everyone with the same brush; especially considering that we've been successfully developing games for much longer than most who are focused on money grabbing rather than catering to an install base.

THanks for the response. Doesn't look like this will be our cup of tea.

At least wait for some gameplay trailers to come out. Then make your decision about whether or not this game will be your "cup of tea" :)

Some people make decisions entirely off an FAQ, I personally don't find it right but that's just my opinion. That said, those of us who have been with 3000AD for years, know that this game will be a blast regardless of what was stated in the FAQ. Main reason that even though there are things I don't like that Derek is doing with this game, I'll still play it regardless (or at least I'm HOPING to play it, finances being what they are right now, I honestly don't know what the situation will be when LoD is released)

I read the FAQ but I would never make a decision about a game just based off of that.

Heck, I wouldn't make a decision based off my design docs! :looksaround:

ps: A blog update is coming in a day or so. The shots will make you.....ok, I'm not going to spoil the surprise. :D

F.A.Q = the information that you only need to know for now.....apart from that...Looking forward to LoD new blog post!!!

Derek, those shots, they make this PF-Marine DROOL :D

Man those shots are more detailed than some of the others I play that claim to be 'the next big thing' can't wait for this to come out!