Line Of Defense - GDC2012 Coverage - IGN

Supreme Cmdr

Hey i meant no offence to what LOD is trying to do but in the end it will be contending with Planetside 2.

Planetside in all respects brought large scale MP FPS to the for front of of PC gaming, not to forget WW2 online.Theres nothing wrong with taking ideas from other games "if its not broke don't fix it"(and I do know of AAW), but you have to face the facts that in this preview it highlights mainly the things that planetside has done already. That being said be more mindful of why many people are having the "it looks like planetside" response and start emphasizing on what LOD does(space is always a plus with me), that PS doesn't, when you present your game to the media to ensure that people "

Stop the foolishness". Be wary to what happened to Too Human When the Dev talked big about the the game and got to personally involved with what was being said about the game in development; not that i can blame them' it is their baby.All this being said I have seen LOD on the web before and your site had lacked updates leaving little reason to check it often hence me making a"Uninformed statement". But instead of writing a big post like this. I went with a small sentence that summed up the what i thought of the game so far. To close: Good luck with getting this game out on the market competition is always good and pushes the evolution of games forward.

I think you're completely off the mark here. These are the facts:

1. Planetside was released in 2001. It was an FPS game with MMO-like features. It failed because it was ahead of its time back then.
  2. Prior to Planetside, most of my games - all of which pre-dated Planetside - already had over 90% of the features in LOD - including Planetside
  3. All Aspect Warfare was released in Q4/2009
  4. LOD went into development because I wanted to do a tighter, more detailed game - similar to AAW - but with an SAS (Software As as Service) model without doing a new game every two years
  5. Planetside 2 was announced on July 8, 2011 - long after LOD went into development in Q1/2010

Only the people who have no clue about our games are comparing LOD to Planetside2 and saying we're copying them. That's pure uninformed nonsense. In fact, all there is to the fact that LOD and Planetside2 are the only upcoming high-end FPS games. When compared to Tribes Ascend and Firefall, those two are totally different types/style of games and the four have very few things in common.

Fact is that almost every game is a derivative of another - but my games are not. Which is why they are in a very niche category. Comparing LOD to Planetside2 is like comparing BF3 to MW3. The only thing they have in common is the genre. Nothing else.

And please don't compare us to Too Human. We've never talked up a game and not done exactly that game - or have the game fail miserably. There is a reason why we've done over 14 games to date and two currently in development: we know our limitations and the type of games that we want to make. We don't care about what anyone else is doing.

SC, a lot of people aren't going to know the facts, or bother looking for them in the first place. That's what you need to consider, or be prepared to consider. The general point I think he's trying to make is to keep your audience informed of the progress you're making, and take any steps you're able to to avoid appearing like planetside 2. Yeah, your stuff is original, but how is the average gamer going to know? Your popularity is not that great either, which makes you more prone to slander. If other potential players are reading that slander, and all they see is "this is a rip off of planetside 2", "Derek dumb can't make games", etc, it can give them a negative impression about your game. So i mean, you can make LOD look even more better than Planetside 2, include more distinctions, etc. Your stuff may be original, but what's wrong with becoming more original? I realize with the beta coming soon, there might not be much you can change or implement, or want to change. I get it, you don't give a shit what trolls or haters care. But sometimes ignoring things isn't the route to go.

But at the very least, you would want to add more content on your website. Updated pictures, information, etc. Interviews alone won't satisfy everyone.

/endofmumbojumbo

There's a lot of FAQs on the site that answer questions about Line of Defense. Sure, there may be a few that aren't there, but that's what the forum is for. You ask question and they get answered.

You also have to remember that SC is running two companies, overseeing 3 games, so his time is going to be limited. There may be delays in getting updates to the site and development blogs, so people just need to be patient.

There will always be people that won't be satisfied, that goes with the territory.

Just my two cents.....

-Sho

Indeed. Anyway, I have been working on a series of dev blogs for the site, along with pre-requisite videos (e.g. see the wingsuit jump in the article over at The Verge) to go with them. I'm just so swamped, that I have to juggle my schedule as best I can. Even the Alganon fans are barking at me for updates.