Prerelease versions

According to the Capsu BC3K faqs there were a number of demo/prerelease versions of 3000AD and I was wondering if anyone has them laying around anymore - it'd be neat to play with them (also trying to see if I can get it to emulate, even in a primitive form on my phone would be nice... since they have not been rereleased for Android hint hint)

• Demo v1.0, 1992. This was previewed in Computer Games Strategy Plus #18, May 1992. Possibly not released publicly at the time, but was re-released by Smart around 1998.
  • Demo v1.01/v2.0/v3.0 (varies by source), 1993. Public freeware release. Demo versions include basic space simulation, document but often note as "inactive" certain battlecruiser management features, and seem to omit strategic or ground operation aspects completely.
  • Demo v1.01C5 (?), May 1997 (?), released on the cover disc of Computer Gaming World. Unconfirmed limitations: "Free Flight, Xtreme Carnage and 1 ACM mission all taking place in only two space regions containing up to 4 planets."

It would be a shame if there wasn't a copy of these somewhere, BC3K is a historical treasure, and shouldn't be lost in time.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably have them somewhere but I'd be hard pressed to find them. Plus, since all of the BC3K ones later became the full game (which is now released as freeware), I'm not sure what the point of these would be.

• 11 months later...

As an update to this, almost a year later on a random ftp server I came across the 3.0 demo and got it working in DOSBox. I have uploaded it here to dropbox! Run using dosbox BCINTRO for some interesting cutscenes, and BCFLIGHT for a mission, if you want to go into free-flight mode run SETUP21.EXE and change the gameplay type.

Also have a look at the manual in demov300.txt it gives some interesting instructions and information on what to expect and see in the demo and what is to come!

• 2 weeks later...

The early demo of the original game from 1993 can be downloaded from this link.

Battlecruiser 3000AD (1st game in the series) v3 demo - 1993

You can also find the full builds of the original Take Two and Interplay releases below.

Battlecruiser 3000AD v1.01D7C (Take Two 1996)

Battlecruiser 3000AD v2.09 (Interplay 1998)