Steam Early Access for Line of Defense

ShoHashi

Posted earlier today:

Line of Defense heads for Early Access in July

3000AD announced today that its upcoming MMOFPS Line of Defense will make its debut on Steam Early Access in July as part of its public Beta testing program.

Line of Defense features a massive world with large continents, enormous bases some spanning more than 16 sq. km, as well as unique climate zones and weather patterns, plenty of space for the skill-based Player-vs.-player FPS combat.

In addition to the large planetary areas, Line Of Defense also features vast space regions, complete with fully built stations and a carrier, all of which gamers can explore and do battle in while seamlessly moving to and from the planetary bases below. The scope of the Line Of Defense world can be seen here.

The first phase of Early Access will feature the Heatwave planetary starbase and the GCV-Starguard carrier in orbit around the Lyrius planet. New features and areas will frequently unlock as the testing phase progresses, including new levels, new vehicles, and new weapons leading up to the games official release later this fall.

For such a massive game, this staggered release allows the team to focus on each aspect of the game during the public Beta testing. Meaningful feedback from the public will enable the team to address issues, concerns and gameplay suggestions in a timely fashion as each aspect of the game is unlocked and extensively tested.

Line of Defense will debut exclusively on Steam at $99.99 for the Early Access adopters, giving players access to the game as well as the Tactical Advancement Level IV ($69.99 value) kit which includes a variety of items. They will also have the choice of four Commander Perks that identify them as having participated in the Early Access program. This includes a medal, a special vehicle, as well as other perks. They will also be given a free copy of the recently released Line Of Defense Tactics companion game ($24.99 value).

Line of Defense features

* Massive and persistent open world gameplay on continents, some of which are in excess of 16 sq. km.
* Breathtaking environments with each continent featuring unique topology, different climate zones, weather patterns, dynamic time of day etc.
* Skill based PvP combat on foot, in vehicles or in aircrafts.
* Character progression with various abilities which can be learned. Build the character class that you want depending on how you play. No fixed classes.
* A 100% persistent world (no instancing) with seamless space and planetary areas; all with ability to move from planetside starbases to stations in the space region above.
* Easily create fireteams (a.k.a guilds) with either human or NPC troops and from a few people to very large troops of varying skills and equipment.
* Build your own planetary base Forward Operating Base and use it as your player housing for yourself or your fireteam.
* Buy and own your own assets (weapons, vehicles, aircrafts etc) and with your own unique weapons customizations.
* More player assets than you can handle, most with advanced customization (e.g. infra-red night vision rifle scopes) and attributes.
* Hybrid business model which caters to both F2P and premium models; both with access to in-game monetization.
* Endless possibilities for future expansions are other areas of Lyrius and other planets in the region are colonized and opened up via game expansions.
* No pointless grind. No boring crafting. No inconsequential resource collection. Just pure war on a very very large scale.

For more information on Line of Defense visit: http://lodmmo.com/

From http://www.3000ad.com/2014/06/line-of-defense-headed-to-early-access/

This allows us to run the public game testing on a platform which will provide us with the most meaningful feedback.

I lol'd at this, considering SC thinks very poorly of the steam community (or has strongly given the impression).

Also, just a question, are the tactical advancement items binded to your character, or can you lose them if you die? Seems like a bad deal if the latter.

@canshow Actually, that was the whole point of that missive. Not everyone in the Steam community are retards. :rotfl:

And if you read this follow-up that I posted, you will better understand why I made the decision to release on Steam, rather than directly as originally planned.

To all commanders & rookies alike:

First, @lodonline is not a beta-as-release game.

Some people don't understand the premise and logic of an Early Release.

So start here:

http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq

The game is not due out until the fall.

As the announcement indicates, this EA is our way of doing a wider public test and using backend tools we don't need to or want to develop. Which is what we'd otherwise have to do outside of Steam.

http://www.3000ad.com/2014/06/line-of-defense-headed-to-early-access/

Unlike most EA games, as with all our games over the years, LOD is fully funded and we're not looking for money to finish the game.

The game was setup for Steam awhile back. For an EA type release, instead of a standard one, it is basically a case of flipping a switch. Which we did after discussing our plans, pricing etc with Valve.

The $99 EA price tag - which has a LOT of perks - ensures that only serious people who can provide meaningful feedback through their commitment, need apply. And for that they get a lot more than they would if they waited for the final game release.

We're simply not interested in letting freeloaders gain early access to the game, not provide meaningful - if any - feedback, while we foot the bill for the backend services, servers, bandwidth etc

We're a SMALL independent game dev making a MASSIVE game in a genre dominated and monopolized by SOE and their popular @planetside2 series. In contrast, from start to finish, LOD was developed by less than ten people. Including third-party contractors. Yeah.

And unlike those other guys, we don't take your money, then plonk you in useless assets (how do you like that hanger now?), a largely unfinished product or a product that may not even see the light of day. I don't even need to defend against that premise; go look at my game releases. While they may not be everyone's cup of tea, we still keep making them because we have and know our audience.

You get in on the EA, you will be in on the ground floor of the development and as always with direct access to me - and all the fun and shenanigans that entails.

Plus, right off the bat, one of the first areas we're unlocking, is this massive multi-deck carrier which, like we did with the recent Line Of Defense Tactics, is already the main event in another soon-to-be announced companion game. In that new game, you get to pilot it. For real. Yes, the whole frigging thing. That said, say hello to the GCV-Starguard combat assault carrier, one of GALCOM's finest.

http://lodmmo.com/asset/starguard/

We will be hosting frequent dev chats in the operations room of that carrier as well as inside the other already fully built stations. Your avatar comes with a host of first/third person gestures (e.g salute, wave etc) specifically for such interactions. No dancing. Unless you want to be court-martialed.

Hopefully that clears up some of the things we've been hearing since the E3 announcement was made.

While I have your attention, let me throw this one in as a bonus for your consideration.

Until yesterday, there were NO female playable characters in the game. My decision to now fund and add two bad-ass female characters comes from the fact that, well, we as an industry need to start making a concerted effort to cater to our female players because good faith can only get you so far. I believe that, costs permitting, we should start doing it whenever we can.

If we - as men - keeping making these types of games and rely on women who buy and play them to suspend their belief, guess what happens if the industry doesn't start thinking seriously about this. Go see#womenaretoohardtoanimate for a sampling from the fallout of the Assassins Creed Unity fiasco.

They are out there - where they've always been. And they are legion. They are our women - and they play our games.

That is all. As you were.

Also, just a question, are the tactical advancement items binded to your character, or can you lose them if you die? Seems like a bad deal if the latter.

They are bound to your character. And yes you can lose some of them if they are destroyed.

• 1 month later...

Well this is the generation of entitlement you know. Everything is supposed to be free, easy and disposable.

On a side note, it's August and I checked on Steam and didn't see anything related to this EA unless I overlooked it. Any status?

Well this is the generation of entitlement you know. Everything is supposed to be free, easy and disposable.

On a side note, it's August and I checked on Steam and didn't see anything related to this EA unless I overlooked it. Any status?

It is not yet released and a large update was posted a few days ago on the game's website.

Always check the game's website, Facebook page or Twitter for the latest news. With so many other social media outlets, only the truly die hard use these forums now; but I keep it around for legacy and nostalgic reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Steam Early Access is now up on Steam.

As posted over on the LoD website main page:

Steam Early Access Released!

After some delay while we create new Early Access tiers, work through the kinks, last minute tweaks etc, the game is finally going live on Steam Early Access.

At some point today, it will be available to pre-purchase and pre-load at a 50% discount for all three Early Access tiers (Commander ($99.99), Ambassador ($69.99), Emissary ($39.99)). This one-time only discount will run from today, Wed, Sept 10th through to 10AM PST on Mon, Sept 16th.

The game is going live (playable) on Tue, Sept 16th. At which time if you already pre-purchased and pre-loaded the game, you will be able to join a server and get going.

It is very – very – important that BEFORE you buy any tier, that you please read our Early Access FAQ in order to get a better understanding of what this is about and what we’re doing. This FAQ text is identical to what you will see on the game’s Steam page as well once it goes live.

Hi Drakula:

First off, please post your comments over on the Steam Forum.

This is from the Steam forum:

What's not unlocked/enabled in this EAB01 (Early Access Build 01)

vehicles (ground and naval), aircrafts
weapons, ammo etc
inventory items
player damage, death etc
player entitlement (CEP, CTC), finance
inventory terminals, supply platforms etc
base capture mechanics
entire game world. Of the 13 scenes (4 planet, 4 space, 4 stations, 1 carrier), only two (Heatwave, GCV-Starguard) are unlocked.

But again, please, read the forums over on Steam to keep you updated on what's going on.