Into the Stars

Shingen

Interesting space-sim starting on kick-starter.

http://youtu.be/5S26ZbHTxEs

It kinda reminds me a lot of BC3K/BCM/UC. However, despite the video, Derek definitely came up with a few their "new" ideas - first. :D

It should be a pretty kewl game as long as they don't succumb to the lowest common denominator and dumb it down for the masses.

From what I infer this is basically a 3D version of FTL.

Their team seems to have experience, although not in the space genre, which makes me worry about the little details.

I have concerns with replayability considering there is an end, and the amount of sectors and possible dynamic encounter/ways to play. Some of the gameplay footage also makes UI look dumbed down.

I'll wait until the last week for updated faq and dev answers. I really want to throw my money at this... but it's also on kickstarter...and well...It's my honest belief that crowdfunded games are less likely to succeed because developers are being handed the money and have less pressure to get things done right.

I have no high hopes for this one. For one, at $85K to finish the game, it is highly unlikely that they would be able to pull it off. Also, the video doesn't show any of the important gameplay elements for the game they described as having "substantial" work.

In other news...

I don't know. It's my personal opinion that these guys would benefit greatly from a few hundred hours playing UC. It's certainly wouldn't be the "ultimate captain experience" without it.

Maybe it's not trying to be the balls-to-the-wall hard-core tactical space-sim that BC3K/BCM/UC is.

I guess it will all depend on the final product.

I have no high hopes for this one. For one, at $85K to finish the game, it is highly unlikely that they would be able to pull it off. Also, the video doesn't show any of the important gameplay elements for the game they described as having "substantial" work.

In other news...

It seems like they have the engine and much of the work already finished. As for the gameplay elements...I'm going to call it and say that most of the gameplay will be conducted from that bridge screen, in a similar manner to your BC/UC series. They don't show a lot though, that I agree.

• 6 months later...

I purchased it as well. I think the premise is good, but I probably should have waited a bit till it was out of Early Access. One problem I had was it doesn't support my resolution....yet. I'm sure it will be rectified but until then, it's on my hold list. :)

-Sho