BC timeline (non rp)

Põdi

Is there a generally accepted timeline for RP? If so, is there a link to it? I'm thinking of doing a background story to my character, why he became an Assassin etc. I might like to include some important events from previous rp threads.

Many thanks

Paddy

I think you'll have to go through the archives and do a bunch of reading... as far as I know there aren't any history summaries. (Though it might be a good idea to make one some time, kind of like writing a history-book or something )

DeSylva's ISS site has a really good one. (In fact, that's the one I'm planning to base mine on.)

Personally, it's the best: Includes official game history, personal histories (from biographical RP stories), Fleet histories, and whatnot. It is the best so far. Trust me.

(Uhh, oh. Looking for the link to it. It seems as if the ISS Fleet site is gone. With the fate of ISS hanging in the balance, I'll upload the Timeline in a few min. brb)

• 1 month later...

There wasn't anything in the manual, but it's in the appendix... And I think it's the same as the BC3k one. Looks like it to me. But, either way, I'll post an excerpt of it.

quote:

2328: First colony built on Mars. Consisted mainly of military and research personnel but later expanded to include commercial ventures in the areas of biology, cartography, mineralogy, and military research.

2899: A Terran deep space probe, Voyager 2, discovers extra-terrestrial life in Alpha Centauri. Space research is boosted by 75%. Work begins on new engines, reactors, and spacecraft components.

2907: The first long range MassDrive reactor, which used a mineral mined from asteroids as fuel, is developed.

2910: The android Arianne sends back supporting data of intelligent life from its flyby of Alpha Centauri.

2915: Scientists continue to explore methods of halting the human bodyÔÇÖs metabolism in order that it could endure deep space travel. The first stasis experiments are performed on animals.

2919: Stasis experiments are performed on Terran subjects. It becomes possible to reduce the bodyÔÇÖs metabolism by stasis. Some subjects were in this form of ÔÇÿhibernationÔÇÖ for as long as 5 years with no side effects. It becomes possible for a body to remain in stasis indefinitely. By further expanding on this technology, a device is developed which creates the proper conditions within an environment, such as a space ship, that would allows the bodyÔÇÖs metabolism to progress at its normal rate relative to the distance traveled. This, and the increased speeds of new engines, makes space travel far easier. Traveling vast distances at several times the speed of light, takes a matter of months instead of years. The term light speed (LS) was used in measuring the distance traveled by a spacecraft. Lightspeed is equivalent to the speed of light or approximately 299,800 km/sec.

2925: The first military research spacecraft is completed. The Sphinx class Battlecruiser, Seeker. This craft was fitted with a MassDrive reactor and Syrian Mark IV engines. With advanced hull design and life support systems this ship could withstand the harsh forces of interstellar space on its journey to Alpha Centauri. It is capable of speeds in excess of several times the speed of light.

2926: GCV-Seeker is commissioned for deep space travel. Its crew, all veteran astronauts, were handpicked from advanced nations on Earth. The crew was put in stasis during the long journey. Their mission: to explore Alpha Centauri and ÔÇÿmake contactÔÇÖ with intelligent life.

2928: GCV-Seeker is intercepted by an alien lifeform. Contact is made with mankindÔÇÖs first extra-terrestrials, the Empirians.

2965: The UFN declares the Insurgents an outlaw organization.

2967: The first navigation chart is completed. It divided the galaxy into four quadrants with each being named after the predominant occupying alien nation.

2993: The situation in the Terran quadrant went from bad to worse and the instability in other quadrants threatens to cause even more problems. EARTHCOM is hard pressed to carry out its duties. Galactic Command, GALCOM is formed.

2998: GCV-Stargazer, GCV-Recovery, and GCV-Starsearch are lost in the Gammulan quadrant.

3000: Galactic Command steps up its recruiting campaign as a result of increased conflicts within the Terran quadrant, the disappearance of more vessels in the Gammulan quadrant, and rumors of an invasion by an alien force.

There was a lengthy discussion regarding official BC history 3000 - 3015 somwhere in the murky depths of the forum. I believe it was in Fleet Discussions, but I cant be 100% sure. Anyhow, it's not included in the manual or apendix, and according to game start date, it's currently 3010 - which is cool for us old timers cos our characters aint as old as we woulda been.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

....Not to my knowledge. And I did check it a couple more times, to make sure. Nothing past 3000 in the Manual, Appendix, and any of the other official stuff......

Okay. Whose turn is it to remind the SC and propose writing a semi-official timeline?

Pass me my SF marine suit...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I will broach this idea to the SC, give him some time over the summer hols to digest the idea.

If it goes ahead, and he is okay with the idea of a fan-made RP storyline being developed, I will assemble a team of our best RPers, as well as old hands in the business, and we'll begin working on it.

Remember though, no matter what we do, this will be a FAN MADE storyline. IOW, it will be unofficial, and the SC will reserve the right to veto it at any time. As with all of these fan projects, it's a matter of respect. We respect the SC's world and the way he runs it, and he respects our efforts to develop it. Two ways.

I'll email him shortly.

-GD

I have heard back from the SC.

His reply to our proposal to have a fan-created timeline, with his approval, was that he could not allow that - that he wanted to preserve his intelledctual property rights.

Before you all start *****ing, the man has a point.

However, he also informed me that he has a clear idea of the timeline and history for the Battlecruiser universe between BC3K and BCM, and will send a copy of his ideas to me. Once I have receieved them, I will publish them to an HTML file on thge ISS website, with Derek's permission, as a resource for RPers and writersa to draw on.

Derek also confirmed he has no problems with writers creating fan fiction, etc. - he simply didn;t want to hand us "official" carte blanche to make changes to his universe. So, once we have receieved the official timeline, we are free to work around it as we see fit.

Drooling in anticipation...and dreading the changes that will have to be made to the fan-fic timeline...*sigh*...

-GD

Better to work in the box, than around it. Besides, I seem to recall from a while back that certain plot elements from some of the older RP's (GAM WAR I and II for instance) we're being worked into the official time line. If this is the case, then a lot of what has been done RP wise will still work with that background. Events like PS and ITF had the GAM wars as a backdrop, with non related events working besides these concepts although not directly interfering in them. Im optormistic that things will work out ok, although for future RP's, I would probably recomend that participants try to develope their stories within the timeline, or at least within the period of the timeline rather than zoom off ten or fifteen years beyond it.

The future, as they sat, it not set in stone, so the closer we stick to the original premis, the better the chances are that additional elements may take the SC's fancy in the future and be worked into the main background.

My thoughts.

Thats what I was tiptoeing about...*urgh*...don;t expect GWI or GWII to be in the official timeline. Neither were ever officially accepted by the SC. GWI was a role-playing thread. GWII was purely my own creation, in a suggested BCM timeline posted before my long sabbatical. I was flattered to see that it had been accepted as gospel on my return, but Derek has stated more than once that a second Gammulan war does not feature in his timeline.

We shall have to wait and see. If the GWII does not appear, it is certainly feasible that a version a little less grand than the eight year war I envisioned can be worked in as part of the fan-fiction archives...

-GD

quote:

Derek also confirmed he has no problems with writers creating fan fiction, etc. - he simply didn;t want to hand us "official" carte blanche to make changes to his universe.

I think we have done well sticking to the universe as it is, even fairly heavy handed at times. No new ships, keep the tech feasible, etc, etc.

I like playing in his sandbox. I want it to stay the same as well.

As far as anything we do being "official", well you can spin things any way you want. We call it a war but it could have been any number of minor skirmishes.

I really appreciate Derek allowing us to write fan fiction. Thank goodness he isn't Paramount or Anne McCafferey. Anne is in sort of the same position as Derek though. People love her books so much they write things into it and twist the premise.

Just a small ramble.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...