Do you remember....

Charles Lindsey

In no particular order...

Cars without seatbelts?

Drive-In theatres?

The first computer?

The first PC?

When you had to push a button on your digital watch to get the numbers to light up?

The first handheld calculator?

DOS?

Muscle cars?

LP's?

45's?

8-tracks?

Rotary telephones?

Steam engines?

XT processors?

The Shuttle Disaster?

Space Invaders?

Gorf?

Eh, chatter time. I remember all but cars without seat belts (even though I have one the standard was to have them installed at the factory) and the first computer. Everything else was either popular or I saw come about.

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

I don't think this a good topic for people suffering from a midlife crisis smile.gif.

I remember riding in a car without seatbelts.

We never had Drive-In theaters in Finland, but I had the priviledge of actually experiencing one in Canada couple of years ago.

My first computer was a C64, I'm glad I never had to experience a room full of vacuum tubes smile.gif.

I remember the first PC's, even though I couldn't afford one. Oh those times in the computer lab at school, loading up DOS from a floppy (the server, first AT, had a ten megabyte harddrive that took 2 5.25 drive bays).

We probably had 10 Muscle cars in Finland in the 70's but I remember my aunt's cool Renault with the gear shifter sticking from the dashboard smile.gif.

I remember my first LP, I can't remember the actual record but the band was KISS.

I never had the joy of playing the original Space Invaders. That reminds me of the extremely funny Seinfeld episode where George buys the old Frogger game he played in High School.

What is Gorf ??

(These memories are Finland, Europe specific)

Having only 2 TV channels.

Using Cheques for payment.

Having your own currency, oh wait we still do, but not for long smile.gif

What will be hilarius, is that in 30 years, kids will be talking about the 20's.

"Hey, why are you wearing that *insert anything*, it's so 20's"

And old Harri will be thinking about the cool 80's hairstyles, pink t-shirts and white sportscoats. Hey, I liked Miami Vice and white looks good on me smile.gif

Harri

...some chic named, Melissa, whose ex-boyfriend gave me a clobbering (from behind) when he caught me at the local theatre (in London), with her. Apparently he couldn't take no for an answer. *******, he should try that now!

I got even - I dated his sister shortly after Melissa and her family moved to Watford.

Guest aramike01

ROTFLMAO!!!

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

My first computer was a Kaypro with an NEC V20 processor, two 5.25 drives, no hard drive, 256K RAM, and monochrome monitor. Upgraded to CGA and 512K RAM and used it to play Starflight II. Slow as Christmas in July. smile.gif Had a friend though who had a Timex or something that you loaded programs of of a cassette tape. We were like 10 yrs old or so. Had the Kaypro when I was 20.

Musclecars abounded here in the U.S. but the gov'mnt was getting to them while I was in junior high school. But there were still enough of them in high school to make you mouth drool. Camaros, Mustangs, Firebirds, Trans Ams, GTO's, Chargers. Then there were the sleepers. Those innocent looking cars (usually luxury or semi-luxury) that had the biggest darn motor the factory made. smile.gif Grandma used to give us the cars that wouldn't pass the northern rust laws. How 'bout a 1968 make 98 model Oldsmobile with a 425 4 bbl. Won a race or two with that thing. Wasn't quick but it was fast. hehe. Then a 1967 Rambler with Vacumn operated wipers. Sheesh those wipers were a pain.

I got all my parents old LP's. Some really good stuff from Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, etc. The last one I remember buying was the soundtrack to Beverly Hills Cop.

Space Invaders had the trackball right? Gorf had a joystick if I remember right and your first rank was Space Cadet and it called you that if you lost. Where I think the term came from. Similiar games. Unless I'm just totally whacked on this one. Remember Frogger too. And Battlezone. Used to ride about 3 miles on a bicycle to go play that.

We had the three networks and P(ublic) B(roadcasting) S(ystem) [government broadcasting]. PBS always had crud on. They have gotten lots better the last several years though. The 'rents didn't get cable till the extreme late 80's.

Drive in theatres are making a comeback in some markets I hear. You tune your car stereo to the theatre's broadcast frequency and listen to the sound through your own speakers instead of that metal box you used to hang off you window.

I think you are referring to what is spelled checks in the U.S. and they are still popular. Wrote one the other day; though ATM cards make certain transactions easier.

And I remember Marty Robbins with the White Sportcoat and the pink carnation.

I remember Miami Vice. And Knight Rider, BJ and The Bear, and Sherrif Lobo. Dukes of Hazzard too.

But you are right. Our "those were the days" are going to be ancient history to most people nowadays. Their "those were the days " are gonna be "Remember when processor speed doubled every six months and they brought out a new video card every three". hehe.

Ah well those were the days. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

DOS?

I actually still have my computer dual-booting to DOS, good for running all those OLD dos games.

Muscle cars?

A friend of mine still runs a 1972 Ford XA GT Coupe and quite often enters it in burnout comps.

XT processors?

My first computer was an 8Mhz 8086 with a massive 640K of RAM, a 20Mb HD, a 360K FD and a beautiful color CGA monitor. I can remeber spending my time playing this really cool submarine game and surfing my local BBSs at 2400bps.

------------------

Commander Josh Dilvorn

GCV Conquest ISS06

Defense Wing Commander - ISS Fleet

ISS Homepage GCV Conquest Home

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Josh Dilvorn (edited 04-04-2000).]

I remember Dukes of Hazard, I remember playing at it with all the kids on my road, jumping in and out of the windows of my parents big old red estate car.

I owned and used a Z80. (I won another two in a school raffle when they were replacing them) Yes! the forerunner to the ZX Spectrum and definitely not mighty. I can't remember using the Z80 much, but I have very fond memories of my speccy, mightily upgraded to a massive 48K of memory. I played frogger, space invaders, horace goes skiing, Oracle's Cave, way of the exploding fist and elite, of course. Not your fancy elite II on the PC, but the real original, where you could hyperspace directly into your destination station by jumping just as you were going back into the station you just left. I remember having a very dodgy connection between my very battered cassette recorder and my Speccy, and havig to set the volume exactly right or else it wouldn't load. I remember trying 10 or twelve times to load the next level on one of the games- altered beast or something. It got pretty frustrating at times.

We also had a rotary telephone until I was about 8 I think

I did AS-Level computing when maths coprocessors were the latest thing, and windows was a "fancy resource-hogging waste of time for those namby-pambies who couldn't be bothered to program" (or words to that effect) according to my teacher at the time, and they banned civilisation from the school network because nobody did anything else with the computers.

We've still got loads of LP's in our house, including some of the goon show, amongst other things.

Them were the days, lad. Now don't you forget it!

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISS08

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

Director, CIOPS Directorate of Training and Administration

Initiate - Order of Jade Dragon

ISS Fleet Homepage

GCV Svoboda Homepage

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

[This message has been edited by Ben Zwycky (edited 04-04-2000).]

Yep, I do and does remember all that smack, TG fer progress IMO.

1st Computer - TRS-80 Model II; 64k RAM w/ 256K expansion memory, 4 ea 5.25 floppy drives, MS-Dos 1.0.

BTW this museum piece still works biggrin.gif

TTFN

Guest Remo Williams

Oh ya the ole TSR-80 was my first system also didn't have the 5.25 drive though only had the tape drive and none of those other goodies. You must of had the deluxe model Gallion. biggrin.gif

My first car was a 64 GTO flame red oh man what a runner that was. Those were the days!! Oh ya we can't forget those TV classic from back then Lost In Space, The Invaders, Happy Days, and of course Star Trek. Wow hey I still remember that stuff amazing I guess the 70s didn't kill as many brain cells as I thought! wink.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

There are things that I remember that date me back too far. I remember a four door Dodge with the back doors that opened backwards, I remember listening to Inner Santum, Green Hornet, Boston Blacky and a bunch of others on the radio. I remember Pullman cars on trains, and highways without traffic. Ahh, them were the good old days.

The first computer that I owned was a Texas Systems (later called Texas Instruments) binary system. Dos hadn't been created yet. Programing with 1s&0s was very long and exhausting. But just like all us old fa*ts, we tend to ramble on about them good old days. LOL >------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught

Prime Fleet

G2 Intelligence/Security; G3 Tactics (Acting)

Shipsmotto: "Retreat? Hell!"

I remember DOS (4.0 and up), XT's (gotta love those 5.25" drives), LP's and 8-tracks. I remember my dad's 8-tracks, more specifically. I think he still has them somewhere. I remember Space Invaders, but I always liked Asteroids better. I had no idea about the Space Shuttle Disaster at the time, but I do remember that Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait on my birthday. Hm.

The first computer I USED was an old TRS-80 my dad had plugged into a black-and-white TV with sound problems. The first computer that belonged to ME was a black 386SX. I loved that machine. My 13-year-old sister now has it, and doesn't even use it. I had that thing for a good 6 years.

I'm not much of a car person. I did wreck my Nova in december though. Hehe. There's a car with muscle! wink.gif

------------------

Robert Thomas Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

http://powerpub.net

"Leave the repairs to the techs. Leave the mass destruction to ME."