Someone hand me a large blunt object!

Parias

....Before I start ripping them out of walls and other various objects! Nyargh!

Check out this.... god, I'm pissed.

The ironic thing is, I didn't feel like killing something untill AFTER I read the article.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Well.... when I played SoF it didn't seem as bad as they make it sound.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

I bet they freaked out when they were shown what happened to a corpse when you continued to slash at it for 2 minutes with the knife biggrin.gif

I don't believe that violent games "make" people do violent things... however, I do believe it insensitizes (did I spell that right?) people from violence.

As a matter of fact, on tv a while ago, a kid had been held hostage by a gunman, he was finally rescued after the gunman was shot to death in front of the kid. "I've seen worse on TV" was his comment as he walked through the cameras.

Now THAT makes me stop and think!

Another thing that comes to my mind is how people here in the US are so horribly shocked when a group of people are killed by a madman or a crime group or something. These things go deep, I see people talking about it in college, at the supermarket, everywhere.

I was born and raised in Colombia, and since I was little I have seen the tv news and the newspaper narrate how a hundred farmers are murdered, how whole families are kidnapped, civilians cought in the crossfire of army-guerilla ambushes... and heck, it was DAILY ROUTINE. News like that every day. Nowadays, after 3 years of living in the US, of not seeing those news (or any news for that matter), I go to the website of one of my hometown's newspapers...same news, and it does surprise me how much of it I never paid attention to.

Think about it.

Guest aramike01

Well, Parias, you've already got my retort!

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Imagine a little room off in the corner of your favorite Video store all blocked off with warning signs "DANGER Violent games in here" "No kiddies allowed" "Must be this tall to play these games" biggrin.gif"><P>I------------------

Cmdr. Canuck

UCV Iron Fist

I can't go to work today,the voices keep saying

"Stay home and clean the guns!"

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 07-13-2000).]

LOL SC,

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

I'm with you on this one Tac. Personally I think that if Postal was allowed to sell without a "adult only" rating then SoF should be to. I don't know how many of you bought Postal but that game is tons worse. I mean there is an option where you can walk up to folks crawling around on the ground and unload your machine gun into their head for christ sake.

IMHO I think that regulating any game is BS because if the parents aren't "parental" enough to actually go with their young children to buy a game then they shouldn't whine when they find out the game is too violent...just my opinion.

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

Just posted an email over there.

Basically it comes down to 4 things,

1: Parents bothering to filter out the material they dont want their kids to see.

2: Politicians who only give a damn about looking good in front of the public.

3: Shop owners taking game age ratings seriously.

4: Reporters who convienently forget that SoF has a password protected violence filter.

>Pretty cheesed off<

------------------

Commander Logan

------------------

GCV Crazy Horse

*2nd Squadron, Corsair Wing

Stationed: Starbase Cerberus

"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional"

ICQ frown.gif10763330)

ZULU TIME

-==+Wraith Fleet+==-

[This message has been edited by Cmdr. Logan (edited 07-14-2000).]

It figures ,just when I decide to get SOF I can't find a copy anywhere in Victoria.The stores have already pulled the game off their shelves.

Either that,or everybody went out and grabbed the game before it disappeared.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

------------------

Cmdr. Canuck

UCV Iron Fist

I can't go to work today,the voices keep saying

"Stay home and clean the guns!"

Never forget your Battlecruiser was made by the lowest bidder.

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 07-15-2000).]

'tis a shame IMO that one person can influence so many all becuase that one failed to read the warning label on SoF packaging.

To make matters worse, this same individual bought a different product for a gamine console and was shocked at the graphic detail that results from death, destruction, and mayhem inherent to and FPS entertainment program.

Flippin' Canocks went on the deep end. If a vodeo game (computer or game console) is going to be rated as Adult Material then I would like some T&A to go along with the blood and gore cool.gif

But then again it will not be long before some feminazi or other social conscientious objector will attempt to do the same thing this side of the border trying to use the Canock decision as a precidence.

Total sorry state of affairs IMO.

Pump up the blood and gore in BC:M TE SC biggrin.gif

TTFN

Guest Captain Pavel B

First of all they banned the game NOT because it would make someone kill someone but they banned it BECAUSE small kids can play the game and see torture done to humans, torture to humans! That might not be suitable for small children. I am 15 and I have played SoF I think it was a pretty cool game. But I made the mistake of showing my 8 year old brother how to play SoF. S***! I made a mistake, because after 10 minutes of playing he turned pale and started to cry! I told him to shut up but he wouldnt, he kept on WAILING and WAILING. I agree that they should restrict SOME games from CHILDREN not teens.

I got into trouble and I cant play the game anymore. I think that Violent games should be restricted from small childrent, not TEENS.

------------------

Commander Pablo-Diablo

ICV-Skreaming Falkon

Spectre Starstation

"Efficiency is the key

to victory, use all the

rescources available

around you and during

battle be Honorable, not Noble. "

"Uncle Rattler" has his own opinion on this subject, like everybody else. We have them because we are entitled to them, not because someone decided for us that it was Ok to have our own opinions. About now you should be starting to get my drift. Now Pavel, if you showed your younger sibling that game and exposed him to it, then that's your shortcomming. I won't call it a character flaw, but I'd never have done it. To start assigning this kind of ratings to games will seriously endanger the free development of some games and further limit the prospective livelyhood of game developers. They can't make two versions of games, one to suit the do-gooders and another for us die-hard gamers to enjoy. I say "Let parents be parets!" It's up to them to properly raise their families and look out for them until they are legal age to decide what they are entitled to or not. It's not for politicians and do-goodies to decide. It's up to that group of people to care for their own families and leave us alone. "Nuff Said!" mad.gif

BTW, my opinions are my own and do not reflect the stance or opinions of the owners of this board and the company it represents. wink.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Still Crazy after all these years!"

You know what Pavel, your parents should be grounded. If they can't/don't/won't take the time to find out what kind of games you're playing and then determine ahead of time what is allowed and what is not allowed, then they are to blame.

I don't mean to make this a personal statement against YOUR parents Pavel. However, it's a growing issue throughout Canada and the US.

Parents are not taking time to take care of their children! Government notices this for whatever reason (kids cause havok, etc.). Instead of puting blame squarely on PARENTS (mainly because their parents too and no one wants to accept responsibillity these days) govt. types determine that it is necessary for BIG BROTHER to step in and "protect the children".

Sorry folks, but it's plain and simple: CHILDREN ARE A PRODUCT OF THE ENVIRONMENT PARENTS PROVIDE or DON'T PROVIDE. That means, if the parents aren't overtly PROACTIVE in raising their children, then one or more of the following happen:

1. The children raise themsleves based on childlike morality and sense of community.

2. The educational system takes care of the children and are unable to legally impart ANY sense of morality.

3. Govt. passes laws that affect adults only (unsupervised children rarely give a rats arse about the law. see EastCoast/WestCoast gangsta thugs if you want proof)

4. Govt. takes care of the children and instill its own twisted sense of right and wrong based on whatever group is better at lobbying or has more money to throw at lawmakders.

The fact is, if you want to be a PARENT then, damnit, realize that you will have to make sacrifices for your child's and society's good. Take responsibillity for what you produced! Work out your differences before divorce becomes and issue and show your children by examply what it means to be a MAN or a Woman.

But I'm just ranting. Society today will never make the sacrifice. Yuppies are too busy worrying about the BMW. Perhaps things will change when their generation finally passes the torch to the generations that have had to give up their futures to clean up their mess.

------------------

Flt. Cmdr. Akira

Spectre

ICV-Nevermore

Official Tester

Battlecruiser Series

Well Akira, you are RIGHT on! I have to agree with you. I'm a parent with 4 kids ages 7 to 1 and planning on having 1 or two more. My wife and I take the time to view ALL movies and games they see or play. We had these kids, not the government and therefore it's OUR(my wife and I) responisbility to educate them in ALL areas. Parents MUST spend time playing with their kids as well as disciplining them.

I know that careers can be very demanding and that with economies the way they are that both parents have to usually work. I know that when parents get home they are tired and often on edge 'cause they can't yell at a boss. I also know that people need(want) to keep the lifestyle they have worked so hard for.

When kids turn out wrong, there's always excuses for failure. The excuses usually point to some outside source: gangs, poor schools, too poor, too rich/spoiled, nationality, etc. As parents we can either MAKE excuses OR change our actions. There are options and if anyone is interested in how my wife and I (married 12 yrs) are dealing with these challenges go ahead and email me at [email protected]

Unfortunately we as parents only have 1 chance per child of getting it right and every child is different.

Thanks again Akira for your input! smile.gif

BTW, my opinions are my own and do not reflect the stance or opinions of the owners of this board and the company it represents.

A concerned parent;

------------------

Cmdr. Wold

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV Drakr

"Do or do not, there is no try"

[This message has been edited by Wold (edited 07-16-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Here is an article I wrote for a local publication. I let Parias publish it at Hardnews, and it pretty much gives my take on this whole controversy.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

A fine article it was too Mike smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Nice article Mike. LOL piece by bloody piece.....

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer