SC's appearance on Jeff K.'s FPS Survivor

I don't know, Xaviar. IMHO, I found it idiotic, stupid and very inappropriate. Just my two cents.

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, PreComm Crew, StarStation New Frontier

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"Attack With Effectiveness"

Well, I've always found Jeff K. to be insightful and witty. Of course, you would only seem the character of Jeff K. in such a light if you were aware that he is a complete fabrication. smile.gif I think it's funny. I think Parias found it funny (but I can't speak for him, of course).

But is it ironic that the SC was shown as a Vulcan? Hehe.

Oh, I know I never post around here. *waves at everyone* Remember me?

Long live Jeff K. smile.gif

And on a final note: I do think the scene with the Coke machine was hitting below the belt. Bad Lowtax! Other than that, though...

I should stop rambling. Next!

------------------

Robert Thomas Maxwell

GCV Desideratus

http://powerpub.net

"Leave the repairs to the techs. Leave the mass destruction to ME."

Okay, I admit it, I laughed. Only a little! Honest!

*Cowers under a table in fear, cuddling his radioactive garden gnomes*

Seriously though, I've found FPS Survivor hilarious since day one, and this one wasn't really all that different, despite the SC's vague appearance. I just found it funny, laughed, and moved on. I'd rather take in the humor of something than flame someone to death smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Hamblin, if you've watched Voyager (speaking of which, are you the same Hamblin who frequents the Firstones forums and freaks out about Captain Janeway? smile.gif) then take a closer look at "Derek Smartyman". Also browse through the archives of FPS Survivor and you'll see why it's truely the best comic in existence, surpassing even Soap Banditos.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Jeff K. is an invention of Lowtax (former staff member at voodooextreme.com now runs somethingawful.com). Jeff K. represents all the 13 year old, wannabe gamers who go about spelling like an "E1eet d00d" (aka constantly mispelling everything), yelling their opinions at everyone, and generally thinking they are right all the time, while acting like complete and utter idiots (trust me there are a lot of them out there, and we've seen a few on this board too smile.gif Anyway, Jeff K. has a fake site (www.somethingawful.com/jeffk) where he conducts interviews, reviews games, and right now is running a comic called FPS survivor, which in 3 times a week installments makes fun of various highly visible people in the computer game industry (John Carmack, John Romero, Derek Smart, etc..). It's all in lighthearted fun, and should be treated as such. But some people do find it a bit mean-spirited (the coke machine was a bit much), and I'm not about to disagree with you on that totally, I'll just say that most of my life I've been involved with the game industry, and a lot of what Jeff K. represents rings true. So at least for me, he's pretty damn funny.

------------------

Cmdr. Xavier Knight

Spectre Fleet

Chief Security Officer, Sygan StarStation

ICV Abaddon

"Nemo me impune lacessit"

Interesting "play-on-words" I guess.. smile.gif

I did get a small chuckle with the pencil and mirror...the rest of it must have been over my head... or under my feet... or maybe I'm just in another system 'cause I didn't get the humor in most it. smile.gif

Eh, oh well....

------------------

Cmdr. Wold

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV Drakr

"Do or do not, there is no try!"

It looks like "Derek Smartyman" is making a play for power according to the last page of the latest issue of FPS Survivor.... curses, and I had to be drinking Coke whilst I was reading it too!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

Guest Commander Hamblin

quote:

Originally posted by Parias:

Hamblin, if you've watched Voyager (speaking of which, are you the same Hamblin who frequents the Firstones forums and freaks out about Captain Janeway?
smile.gif
) then take a closer look at "Derek Smartyman". Also browse through the archives of FPS Survivor and you'll see why it's truely the best comic in existence, surpassing even Soap Banditos.

My sig should confirm my identity. smile.gif

Yes, I am the same Hamblin on the Firstones.com message board. And the Spacebattles.com message board. And the Trekbbs.com message board. And the Starcraft-Star Trek: Dominion Wars message board. And the Voyager Elite Force message board. And the DS9: The Fallen message board. And the Omega Project message board. And...er...that's about it, I think. wink.gif I used to be on the Armada board, but that place has shot straight to hell, so I don't bother any more.

Have I watched Voyager? That's like asking if Derek Smart makes PC games! That's like asking if...if...if Kathryn Janeway is the most beautiful woman in existance (Which she is smile.gif). biggrin.gif

Yes, I did actually get some of the jokes. I just couldn't be bothered to attempt a laugh. It's not really that funny, in my opinion, but I don't get humor unless it's actually very well done, or incredibly crude. This was niether, to me at least.

------------------

COMMANDER JAMES HAMBLIN

ORION FLEET

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING COMMANDER

GCV GALATEA.

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Good work, Commander. In the future, if I have any questions about mating behaviour, I'll know where to go. - Captain Kathryn Janeway.

[This message has been edited by Commander Hamblin (edited 07-31-2000).]

Guest aramike01

I dunno, I think it was pretty funny.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Guest kwasi

To quote somebody:

Banal, wan, flatlulent...

------------------

Commander Tarsus Wren

GCV Eye of Heru

Prime Fleet

S15 Staff Chief, Alpha Wing and CO Galcom HQ

"Nothing escapes the all-seeing Eye..."

Its an old baseless rumour. Something about me kicking the Take2 office vending machine when they informed me that they were shipping my game incomplete and in Beta.

Didn't happen. Just some more lies. If I kicked a vending machine, I doubt that it would be something for me to worry about, to the extent of saying it didn't happen when in fact it did.

Congratulations SC, you're now my personal hero for being indirectly involved in the death of John Carmack. HOORAY!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

LOL Parias biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Well, FPS Survivor has drawn to an end. All I can say is, I'm proud of you SC! You managed to take down a couple of other developers before biting the bullet yourself. Very impressive! Unfortunate that you had to be posessed by the lost spirit of John Romero though.... smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 08-11-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WarSongDeathMARK

DS, I wouldn't worry man.

The guy can't even freaking spell.

Plus, it's not your fault some idiot decided to release bc3k in beta.

And if you hit a vending machine or not, it doesn't matter, the vending machine ain't talkin.

Jeff K is free to his opinions and we're free to laugh at his stupidity.

------------------

Cmdr. WarSong

GCV Suicidal Insanity

Marauder Wing

Fighter Command Pilot

"I don't know anything, and thats the way I like it."

ICQ 18008144, CST (GMT -6)

+-=Wraith Fleet=-+

Uh, Warsong, I'd call Jeff K many things, but "stupid" isn't exactly one of them...

*Walks around the room, flaunting his "L33t liek Jeff K. t-shirt"

Personally, I've added "YUO=FAGOT" to my personal vocabulary, and use it whenever someone pisses me off. It's truely the most annoying insult in existence I've found.

But however, let us not waste a perfectly good thread arguing if Jeff K. is funny or not (although I believe that Wacky Fun Computar Jokes and FPS Survivor Island are 2 of the best comics in existence). Let us instead hold hands, dance around the room, and throw ourselves out the nearest 40-story window. Hooray!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 08-20-2000).]