Where did you get your name?

Guest aramike01

Guest aramike01

Your RP name, that is. Oh, and your user name too! Lot's of interesting names here and I've been wondering this for quite some time. So where'd you get 'em?

aramike01 - When I was young, my grandfather would call me "Air Mike" because of my incessant desire to fly. Had to change it to "aramike" because another Mike has been bestowed "Air Mike". Still love airplanes, helicopters, etc. Got my solo license last year in the single engine jobbers.

Michael Kristophers - Much simpler. Just took my first name and my middle name, Kristopher.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Heh, I got mine from a LOONNNGG time ago.. me and one of my friends were eagerly anticipating the arrival of Hexen 2.. and decided to form our own little clan. I got the name "Parias", my friend "Daedolon". It's stuck ever since.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"Next time you're passing by and feel like dropping in, keep passing by untill you get to a river, and THEN drop in." -Jake Logan

Well...

back in high school my older brother picked up the nickname of "Gumby".

I was a few years behind him... but I started getting called "Little Gumby" by the older kids in the school.

Later, my own classmates started calling me "Gum" or "Gums" ....

Then when I first started my internet life... smile.gif (way back when AOL was first starting out YUK!) I was searching for an internet user name. Well, Anderson and all its various permutations was pretty much used up. Not like John Anderson is a common name or anything. smile.gif So, out of desperation I typed in a combination of Anderson and Gum... Andergum

Been using it ever since.

Ship name of Gummy 1 is just an extension of that.. since I am one with the Gum. smile.gif

Great Idea for a topic Mike!! er Air Mike...

Hey didn't some other famous Mike use Air as a nickname too? wink.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Andergum

Spectre Fleet

Pre. comm. Cmdr. New America StarStation

ICV Gummy 1

Official tester of BC3K the series...

Long live the Insurgency!

ICQ # 215323

Hmmm. Well, I've been usin Blades (And varients thereof) for nigh on ten years now. It all began during my first venture into PC gaming. There was this game, you see, that would run on a 286 (With a little of persuasion) that involved the adventures of a young pilot fighting in a futuristic war against an alien race of mean big cats.

Anyway, we all know what that is, and where this could lead, so I'll stop now.

Basically, I needed a name for my alter ego, and since I was already a gifted sim pilot, I figured Blades would be kinda cool. So, I used it. And it stuck. Many years later I ventured onto the internet, and into IRC, and have been Blades or Mr Blades ever since.

As for my real name, well, thats a horror story. Born 17th May, 1973, mt parents saw fit to name me Stacy Francis Brain. *shrug* I guess they was expecting a girl. Anyhoo, I went through enough years of taunting at school to be damaged for life by it, but I guess you get used to havin an unusual name.

Off to therapy now. Dont wait up. smile.gif

Back when the internet was still relatively new to my area and I finally got it, it seemed that every name I wanted to use was taken. So, I figured I'd pick one that would be very unlikely to have been taken. I grabbed one of my books that I brought home from Okinawa and picked the name of a old Ryukyan king....his name..Sho Hashi. I basically just put the two together as ShoHashi and have been using it ever since! smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr ShoHashi

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, PreComm Crew, StarStation New Frontier

ICV Aries

ICQ 484321

[email protected]

"Attack With Effectiveness"

Usual screen name: The Wanderer or variation thereof. Somehow that just doesn't fit well with this venue.

BC name: Tyrn, just yank the "a" out of my first name.

Real name: Tyran Rex Ormond. Explanation: Father's preoccupation with dinosaurs (Tyrannosaurus Rex).

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

GCV Falcon

S.O.G.

Sationed, Starstation Wraith

"You can't run and you can't hide."

ICQ # 85470286 (GMT -7)

=Wraith Fleet=

Back in sixties when I was young *sigh* I thought I had to have short name to sign my drawings etc so I took two first letters of my first name and my last name, Pauli Pilvi. Few years later I read the book "Papillon" and realised that someone else was using the same nickname. And about my alter ego, it's just translation of my sons name, Jaakko for Jason and Pilvi for Cloud, that's about it.

well, I went through many names over the years before I used Hidama.

started with 'QFinger' on IRC, got that one from playing video games, friends nicknamed me QuickFinger (beat 400 kids at Super Mario World when I was 8 and got a $100 prize! wink.gif )

I IRC'd quite a bit over the last few years, RPing and fighting channel wars (nuking, flooding, etc). So my next name was Firesoul, don't know why I chose it, it just came to me. Anyway, during an RP session, my char died and was reincarnated, losing his memories and becoming a viscious killer, named Soulhunter. About two years ago I got Ultima Online, my friend and I decided to play brothers in the game, and being rather obsessed with Japan, decided to pick Japanese names. He came up with 'Hasaki' which is now our cyber family name that stuck even after UO. His first name is Yuchiro, just picked it out of a book or some such thing. I chose Hidama, which means 'Fireball' or 'meteor' in Japanese.

and that's my life's story biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

Stationed, Starstation Wrath

you might as well stay and fight, because if you run, you will only die tired

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Hidama (edited 08-25-2000).]

I used to play a lot of MP games like Doom, Rise of the Triad, and later one the massive onlines like Air Warrior 3.

When you play in such fast paced stuff you need to have a name that will be typed quickly...otherwise you will get no 6 calls hehe. So one day in Air Warrior, using my usual handle of Sirat I was getting killed a lot and my buds always said they just couldnt type my name because it was too weird.

So in Netrek I started using the handle Tac for my little DD ship... and it stuck. biggrin.gif

Guest Commander Hamblin

My name is James Hamblin.

You figure the rest out. smile.gif

Oh wait, silly me, I forgot to talk about my ship name, GCV Galatea. wink.gif

Well, Galatea is a moon...um, is it a moon of Neptune? Or Uranus? Or even Saturn? No, I don't think it's Saturn...hmm...

Well, actually, I got the name "Galatea", because when I first registered here, I was playing Freespace 1, and the GTD Galatea was, and still is, my favourite ship in the entire Freespace series (Yeah! Orion mk 1's rule! GTD Galatea rules! GTD Aquataine sucks! biggrin.gif).

So, there we go. smile.gif

------------------

COMMANDER JAMES HAMBLIN

ORION FLEET

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING

GALATEA EXPLORATION WING COMMANDER

GCV GALATEA.

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"For I dip't into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be..."

Good work, Commander. In the future, if I have any questions about mating behaviour, I'll know where to go - Captain Kathryn Janeway.

[This message has been edited by Commander Hamblin (edited 08-25-2000).]

Well since Akuma and Tenchi are two of my favorite Japanese words I decided to use them. I'm improvised on Minako and I guess it worked out okay!

Anyway my real name is Amilee Hagon. Amilee was name that my mother made up. It's a very very very very very rare name. It means 'Maiden from the meadow pasture' but that's only when I broke up Ami and lee. Bah!

Anyway I'm babbling again so I'm gonna kinda trail off...Cause that's...what I do... mutter mutter mutter mutter.....

------------------

AKUMA MINAKO

ORION FLEET

GCV- TENCHI

DETERRENCE BATTLE GROUP

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

"War is the plague of Mankind, created by Mankind."

Ok, I guess I have about 3 or 4 names to explain. First off, my ship the Eclipse.

I got it from the Star wars universe's reborn Emporer's flag ship of the same name. Kinda liked it so it stuck.

Kyle Michael Antilles, once again SW in oragin. Combination of Kyle Katarn from the JK series and Wedge Antilles from the movies and books with Michael tossed in as the middle name.

Aaron Dickey, my real name. if your desparate to know anymore look it up.nuff said biggrin.gif

Vaaish, my handle for prettymuch everything else, so if ya see me on ICQ this is probably what you'll see. Near as I can remember it's Gaelic(sp) and means "death".

Those are probably all the names/identieties/personalities for now. smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

I have "firehawk" tires on my truck, and I needed a name for as yet previously mentioned game in this thread about fighting in a space war against cats, so I used it. I've had it ever since.

------------------

Commander Parker

GCV Exeter

ICQ# 38644032

"Gracy is Pregnant"

I have a few names I feel I should explain mostly because I am bored at the momment.

Commander Zeke Stone: I got this name from a TV series I really liked but it got canceled before the guy finished his mission. The show was called Brimstone, and the characters name was Zekio Stone. He was sent from hell to bring back 113 souls that escaped. If he suceeded he was given life once again. His friends called him Zeke.

Xop Shmra: I was going to use these two names as the names of two alien races in my movie, but decided to make it a character instead. Xop is from the Starcontrol series. It's just Supox spelt backwards and cut off. Shmra I made up.

UCV-Guardian: I have a JK clan called the Guardians of Time. Me and my cousin made this clan and currently aren't playing JK anymore, oh well. My name in the clan is TGT_Shmra_L. You can check out my site if you wish too, guardianslair.cjb.net/

UCV-Outrider: This is the ship I use for Xop Shmra. When I used to play JK, I would play the RPG games with the Drazen Isle level a lot. I decided to make my own continuing plot with Xop Shmra. I decided to make him a Mercenary/Smuggler who was shot down and crash landed on Drazen in a ship he stole from Dash Rendar, The Outrider. I stayed there until my ship was fully repaired, it still isn't. In fact, someone still owes me an Illegal Dymek Double Laser Cannon wink.gif

Whew, I've rambled enough for one night. biggrin.gif

------------------

Commander Zeke Stone

Mercenary

UCV Guardian - "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"

**Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job** -- Douglas Adams

[This message has been edited by Commander Zeke Stone (edited 02-27-2001).]

Heh, now that's an interesting thread! smile.gif

Okay, let's try:

"G U d i H l" is a construct and resulted from a NPC name I used for my old pen&paper roleplaying. On night I was wondering how to name the unknkown villain in the background and came up with "Grosser Unbekannter, der im Hintergrund lach/lauert" (in English: big stranger, who laughs/lurks in the background). Best thing is, it has some sensible sound if spoken in German (although we usually would write it gudiel, with E instead of H).

Well, as for my real name: "Siemens" is some great electronics corporation here in Germany, too bad I only wear its name and have now connection to it at all. biggrin.gif

My quote "Remember..." has been borrowed from the comic artist Adam Warren - I do not know if it's his baby.

Regards.

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Joe Gudihl

GCV-Dark Star

Prime Fleet

Dragon - Order of Jade Dragon

"Remember, we are trained professionals... Don't try this at home!"

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Why not? smile.gif

After not being able to find a "cool" variant on my name when first signing on to AOL I finally took what the system offered. That's why I'm clind10107 for email. It's ugly, but it works.

For this forum I racked my brains for an hour trying to find a neat "space" name or commander name. After going thru several things like Wayne Newton and Richard Simmons I finally noticed Star Trek x was on TV. It was the one with the Genesis Project and Kirstey Alley (sp?) was playing Lt. Savik. I dropped the "S" and added the first two letters of my first name and got Chavik. I personally imagine the a is pronounced like father. Chah-vik. But an a sound as in bat works too.

The first name of the character was only added when I made a biography page for him. He needed a first name. I thought and thought and finally kept coming around to the hard g sound old Gareth had in his name. So I just mixed up Greg a little and got Geryg. Pronounced like air. Gair- egg. Hehe I know my phoenetic spelling stinks.

Geryg Chavik. There it is. biggrin.gif

Guest aramike01

Great stories! smile.gif

You think Lucas Films need any "naming brains"? biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

"Greg Miller" is actually my real name. My full real name is Gregory Wayne Miller, although, I prefer Greg. Sometimes when my wife is calling me, she calls "Gregory Wayne", now I never ever liked the name "Gregory" but for some reason it just sounds so right comming from her mouth, but only her mouth.

"GMAN" was a nickname I earned in Business school, and then it even evolved further to just "G". It kinda stuck with me, and I liked it, and even made it my CD Handel.

------------------

CMDR GREG 'GMAN' MILLER

ORION FLEET

FLEET EXECUTIVE OFFICER

T.B.G. NIGHTWATCH COMMANDER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Well, all of my names are exactly the same as my real life alter ego.

I came across my ship name about 5 years ago, when I started to Sim (roleplay over IRC) in a Star Trek group. My first ship was the FDS-Millennium, suprisingly, which I assumed command of until it was destroyed (not my fault!) a few months later.

The only different name I use over the net is Kik2DaGroin (while playing TFC and CS). I came upon that one when one of my buddies signed me up for AIM, and used that as my ID. So, my full name wouldn't fit nicely, so I just used that one.

I got my dog's name by watching TV.... *trails off*

------------------

Commander Daniel Sedlacek

GCV Millennium ISS16

Tactical Support Wing - ISS Fleet

ISS Homepage

Hazardous Conduct Homepage

"The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Here's my stuff:

Tarsus Wren (RP name)

Tarsus= The section of the vertebrate foot between the leg and the metatarsus, er... I guess that's the ankle.

Wren= A songbird

Put them together and get... a singing ankle. Hey I thought the two simply sounded cool together, so sue me!

kwasi (username)

It's tradition among some African peoples to include the day of the week a child is born as part of their name. Kwasi means: born on Sunday. I, no surprise, was born on a Sunday.

------------------

Commander Tarsus Wren

GCV Eye of Heru

Prime Fleet

S15 Staff Chief, Alpha Wing and CO Galcom HQ

"Nothing escapes the all-seeing Eye..."

My Great-Uncle was an Exec. Officer on the Dreadnaught class Battleship "BISMARK". His name was Maxamillian von Ramm. I liked the name and have used it for over ten years: Maxamillian or 'MAX'. The name of my ship is after the class of the "BISMARK", GCV-DREADAUGHT. The ship's moto speaks for itself smile.gifsmile.gif...

------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught

Prime Fleet

G2 Intelligence/Security; G3 Tactics (Acting)

Shipsmotto: "Retreat? Hell!"

Bandus: Yes, during the Air Warrior 3 beta and a few weeks after it launched I ran the TacOps squadron (that was waaay before i re-discovered BC3K hehehe). We were a fighter-bomber squadron (A-26, P-38's mainly).

Man it would be so awesome if you had been in it! biggrin.gif

Actually, I was indeed given the "Handle" of Rattler by one of my Exec' on the USS Eisenhower, back when I was a CPO. He thought that I warned my troops too much of impending doom if they continued screwing up. He also knew, from personal observation, that these troops were about to experience the lethality of ignoring these warnings. The CO heard him give me this title and it stuck. That Handle followed me for the next 12 years, from ship to ship too! wink.gif

As for the Necromancer, that name was given my ship while conducting the first BC Gathering at the Rattler's Den. Chavik, Gallion, and I were discussing what to name my ship after I had killed the "Darkstar Nebula" in one of the RP threads. We were discussing my escape from the DN and capturing of a hulk in the battle scenario. While we were in deep discussion, My wife Snafu (Charles and Gallion know her wink.gif) simply walked in, listened for a second, and said call her Necromancer, From dead becomes Life! Was just that simple!

Spectre Fleet comes from the organization that I now support in my Day Job. Spectre, as we know it, comes for you in the dark. Spectre, in today's military scenario is an armed Gunship, who's distant relative was "Puff the Majic Dragon" for you old timers! Spectre is alive and well out there, and now is Alive and Well inside this great community.

That's it in a nutshell.

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Bad? You ain't seen BAD, But WE'RE Coming!

I got Pyro from the super villian that's in marvel comics and Penance from some where. I was just Pyro but I was looking for a second name and some how I got penance.

------------------

Cmdr. Pyro Penance

Spectre Fleet

ICV- Chrono

"Don't hate me because I'm different than you, hate me because I'm better than you."