Sneeches

thanatos

In reviewing the new forum format, I now see an evil creeping into this modern world of political correctness, being manifested right here on this board. There are now two kinds of forum posters; those with stars, and those (like me, sniff) with no stars. In other words,

Sneeches without stars, and sneeches with stars on thars..

(My apologies to Dr. Seuss.)

Doc Hoover

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: thanatos ]

E5 and Jag,

LOL!

And now I'm a Sneech with 4.5 stars on thars. I don't care what they say about you over at the Insurgent Fleet, you guys do be kind, thoughtful, trustworth, and loyal, ect., ect.,......................

Doc Hoover

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: thanatos ]

Since you guys seem to be discussing the stars rating, I'll cross-post my question here from my likes and dislikes over in Forums Upgraded.

quote:

[i dislike the] Rating system first and foremost. While it's useful on more public boards for separating the posters with multi-celled brains from those with single- or no-celled brains , I think we hold a higher standard for our members than that. I do not understand the purpose it serves here. What is it measuring? What exactly are we competing for? Maybe I just don't get it... Just wondering.

I hope no one is offended by my remarks above; no offense is intended - it's just my current opinion regarding the star ratings. I'm totally mystified as to what it means. What am I missing here? What exactly is the rating system measuring? I really don't have a clue as to what information it's conveying and am really confused! I mean, most everyone I've seen so far has five stars, along with a few four star guys as well. What does that one star difference really mean? Help!

Hey I bet this is the first time my name is listed anywhere without 5 stars next to it...

hehehehe

If my ego can take it anyones can!!!

xoxoxoxo

Oops spoke too soon!!!! hehehehe

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: echo ]

quote:

Preumably, the stars represent how popular a commander (and said commander's input) is with other commanders

Ahhhhhh..... I see the light.

Well, Rm, I think I like that piece o' input so I be off do do something about it

I love you all back too!!

Thanks for asking about the babe, he's actually walking! Thank goodness in his travels he still comes over for a hug!

I suppose he'll be off to college soon....

til then I just love every minute of it!!

Echo says:

quote:

I suppose he'll be off to college soon....

til then I just love every minute of it!!

As the father of an son approaching 15 years of age, and a daughter of 13, I can predict that you won't love EVERY MINUTE, just the overwhelming majority of them.

It sometimes aint dat easy being a good parent. Remember there are five things that make a great parent:

1) LOVE

2) LOVE

3) LOVE

4) HUMOR

5) DISCIPLINE

(This is very profound, may I have another rating star? )

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: thanatos ]

Based on how many posters have 5 stars I would say that the rating system has a somewhat dubious value. Of course when we are playing the game online, perhaps a kill rating will be a more effective technique for separating the proverbial "men" from the "boys".

=)

~Pio

I must agree with Pioneer's assessment:

quote:

Based on how many posters have 5 stars I would say that the rating system has a somewhat dubious value

Too many have five stars, including me Aside from Rm's thoughts regarding their meaning, there's still no "official" guidelines from the SC, or even moderators, as to what they truly mean and how to use them. And until there are, they'll likely be used, misused and/or abused.

Methinks this feature has opened a Pandora's Box for the time being. IMHO the system should be disabled until such time as there are official guidelines on how to use it - at which time it'd probably also make sense to reset the ratings too... But that's my $0.02.

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

quote:

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

its kinda catchy, no?

I don't know how accurate it is,........

I hate the I.R.S. tax code, and I don't understand it at all.

Doc Hoover

quote:

Originally posted by Blades:

Ah, you want my opinion? Tough, Im a Fleet Commander. Ditch the rating system. All us community members are worth a 5 star rating. Even aramike.

I agree that everyone here is solid gold. Personally, I couldn't care less about it. My advice for now is if you don't like it, just turn it off.

Hey Thanatos...

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do belive them to be true.

I actually stopped writing before I added How my son will probobly be sneaking girls into the house soon etc.

Someone please help me if he is anything like I was as a teenager!!!

My glasses aren't completely rose colored!

Oh by the way pleased to meet you!

unbelievable, get something useful to do in your lives besides whining about some pesky lil' stars besides your posts.

I got a new method to control the stars. For each 5 bucks you mail the SC you get one star.

(Seriously though, what the heck is all this about anyway rofl!)

quote:

I got a new method to control the stars. For each 5 bucks you mail the SC you get one star.

LOL Tac where is your capitalistic spirit? This should read:

quote:

I got a new method to control the stars. For each 5 bucks you mail
me
you get one star.

TTFN

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]