Haaalp! Some weird problems with a GeForce2 GTS

MerfGlurf

P3 933

RAM 128

GeForce2 GTS 32mb

Windows ME

There are some games that have certain textures missing for no apparent reason. Driver changes don't seem to affect this problem.

Symptoms are as follows:

In Unreal Tournament, surface liquids (water, sludge, etc.) have no surface texture. They're completely transparent. Yet, they still play the little ripple animation if you shoot into the liquid. Warp points (like on the map Face) are completely invisible. The only reason I know where a warp point is, is because I've played the game on my nephew's computer. I’ve already played around with the advanced settings with no improvement. Oh, and I had to select the medium texture level, or all the textures and some of the polys disappear when you move close to them in the game.

When I first ran BCMDemo2, I had a problem with my mouse pointer not being visible. I checked the demo board and found a post by Jstuart that seemed to echo my problem. He later reported that he fixed his problem by updating his drivers. With this in mind, I went over to the Nvidia site and downloaded the 14.41 drivers (the Microsoft approved one). Now in BCMDemo2, the mouse pointer is fine, it’s just that the bluish animation that is usually found in the center of the jump gate is missing. Same thing in BCMDemo1HC. When I fly through the gate to Trion, after about 5-10 seconds, the game boots me out to the desktop with no warning. Hmm. Well, I go back to the post and find that this guy dled the version 12.41 drivers. So, I find and install those. (I go into video properties, select standard VGA, reboot, and then repeat; this time selecting Have Disk and pointing to the directory where I unzipped my drivers.) No change whatsoever.

And to top it all off, for some reason my modem is malfunctioning. I have to turn on Error Correction under my modem properties or when I sign on to my ISP, no pages will load! The send light blinks about three times, the receive light once, and then goes dead. Still signed on, just can’t receive any data. Tried setting my connection speed lower, no dice. I wouldn’t mind so much, but it’s nearly impossible to download anything. Every time I get to about 250KB the server drops me. I use Getright but it had to restart the download about five times for a 2.5 meg download!

All of this just happens all of a sudden.

Has my computer had a nervous breakdown?

Anyone have any ideas?

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: MerfGlurf ]

Whoa ....

Before you go wiping the drive, make sure all the debug crap in directX is turned off.

If you don't have the utility, you can find a link to it by searching these forums.

I would do it for you, but right now I have to go to work.

Greg, I'm affraid I've never done a format and reinstall.

Do you know of any place I can look up that will show me how to do this? I have no idea where to begin.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: MerfGlurf ]

If you're running WinMe, just pop in your WinMe CD, boot up FROM the CD (might have to twiddle with your BIOS to enable that), let the WinMe setup load, EXIT the setup, type in "Format C:" (throw /q onto there if you're impatient), and once that finishes type in "Setup", and proceed to reload your OS.

......That's all, of course, presuming that you've backed up all essential stuff before-hand and everything

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Parias ]

At a dos prompt: Format C:

Since you are using WinME, did you activiate the system restore option?

If so, and you know when you started having problems, you can restore instead of format & reinstall.

Like Parias said, make sure you backed up all important stuff. Also make sure you have a good working boot disk.

Is your version of ME an upgrade, or the full version?

Thanks guys.

Greg: It's the full ver. It came with the comp.

By the way, could I back up some files by creating a new partition (D and putting them there? I don't have a cdrw.

If I can't use the partition, I guess I can always transfer them to ye olde p120 system via parallel cable.

Thanks again guys!

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: MerfGlurf ]

Thanks alot guys! Wiped the old c: drive and it fixed everything. (except perhaps the modem problems which I now believe are due to an in-house wiring problem)

Thanks alot for all your help!

Glad everything worked out for you MerfGlurf.

Yes, I too am in-line for a format and reinstall as well. I just am not going to do it until the new machine is up to snuff and right now it aint.

Oh the joys of Modern Computing.