My apology to Derek Smart and the BC community

Epsilon 5

My apology to Derek Smart and the BC community

I want to publicly apologize for my blatant support of warez on a Game Developers' own forum, to First and foremost Derek Smart, and to the Community as a whole.

I wasn't bragging about the software I use, nor was I trying to. This whole situation has made me more aware exactly how warez affects the software industry as a whole. I had no idea the trouble I was about to start with my post.

I always told myself that one day, when I would be able, I would buy everything that I have or had warez, if possible. Now I'm thinking about it more than ever. It will probably cost me a few paychecks (when I'll be working, hopefully soon), but it will be worth it, and I'll have my conscience back.

I always thought that I meant no harm to the companies from which I got their software illegally, because I wouldn't have gotten their software without warez anyway. Well whether it's true or false, I was still stealing. And stealing is wrong. I can only hope that Derek and the rest of the BC Community will forgive me for my short sightedness.

Hopefully I didn't do any snafu. I worked hard on it, which explains the delay

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Hey man, I ain't exactly loaded either, especially after moving out to the most damned expensive city ever, especially as a professional musician. But as a HONEST music collector, and hardcore computer geek...it just is so much cooler to have the game, the album, or whatever payed for and right next to you. And if you can't afford it, that is your drive to improve your situation and yourself so that one day you CAN afford it. It just feels that much better to earn anything.

But enough pseudo-preaching. Welcome Back!

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

quote:

Originally posted by DeSylva:

Thank you. I expect Derek to accept your apology any time now...*nudge nudge*.

*grin*.

-GD

I didn't even KNOW it was up!! I just got the pointer from Greg over in the other thread.

Anyway, thanks E5. I know you didn't have to do it and you could just as well told me to F off.

You are a staunch member of this community (like that other pain, Blades ) and I said, it was a hard decision for me to make (it was easier to restore your profile in anticipation of an apology ). But you do understand my NO EXCEPTIONS rule to how things are run.

Alls well that ends well. And we all make mistakes.

Oh wait!! Does this mean I have to register my copy of WinRar now then?

quote:

you could just as well told me to F off.

Erm... but I *think* it would have not given the same result.

quote:

Oh wait!! Does this mean I have to register my copy of WinRar now then? <
>

Well, I exceeded my evaluation period for winace of about 170 days... but it's still working, I guess it's ok... doesn't it?

Great to have you back in the flesh, Ep5!

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

For every "professional" program out there, there is a less expensive or freeware version that can accomplish the job just as well with a little more effort.

Yep. If anyone's looking for a good free wordprocessor, check out AbiWord. It's just as good as MS Word; especially since it doesn't have all that Microsoft Bloatware that comes with Word.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You are a staunch member of this community (like that other pain, Blades )

That's what Orion Fleet's like, basically..... I guess it all happened that way by coincidence, but you never know...

Nova, over and out.

Well I should be downloading Mandrake linux 8.1 (the 3 ISOs) and install it on the Thurderbird (the new comp) and I'll have Koffice and Star office. However I probably won't be able to go on the internet in Linux...

But I can't really get rid of MS office... my mother would be mad, she's not good in computers and it took (alot of) time for her to understand how to use word... One day maybe (hopefully) she might become "skilled" with computers...

Welcome back.

quote:

However I probably won't be able to go on the internet in Linux...

Let me take down that myth and throw it out the airlock immediately.

Setting up an internet connection in Linux-Mandrake is easier than Windows (you can even set it up in the OS install program), and the speed is better too.

Guest Remo Williams

Welcome back EP5

I just upgrade to windows xp. It has built in ADSL drivers, to cool. Was a snap to setup and my DL speeds are even better than they were before about 160kps.

First, I won't upgrade windows. It's not necessary, and i simply don't want to.

the driver i have (if it's what I think it is) is listed as "Efficient networks P.P.P.o.e adapter [NTSP3]" in my network/system properties.

Edit : I found the home page for the access manager I'm using. There's a linux version but it's not free.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Which protocol EP5, winpoet? or some other fun one? I have to use Winpoet and I think it sucks!! But I can help you set it up if that is indeed what you are using.

Yes. WinPoet sucks to an unimagineable degree. I switched from AT&T cable to Mindspring DSL earlier this week and because I use a LinkSys BEFSR11 router, I didn't need to use WinPoet. Thank heavens for that. All I needed to do was configure the router to dial into Mindspring and I was golden.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Welcome back EP5

I just upgrade to windows xp. It has built in ADSL drivers, to cool. Was a snap to setup and my DL speeds are even better than they were before about 160kps.

I got the exact same results here.

I previously used a PPPOE to connect to my DSL and XP set it up almost automatically using its own drivers.

By far the easiest internet connection setup I've ever seen.

Its a bit faster now to boot.

quote:

Yes. WinPoet sucks to an unimagineable degree. I switched from AT&T cable to Mindspring DSL earlier this week and because I use a LinkSys BEFSR11 router, I didn't need to use WinPoet. Thank heavens for that. All I needed to do was configure the router to dial into Mindspring and I was golden.

SC, where can I get one of these beasties and are they hard to set up? And are they expensive?

I need to do better, my upload speed sucks, and sometimes it will sit and think for up to 2 minutes before actually getting any info from the net.