Justice sucks

Põdi

Having seen a couple of news items recently, I really have come to the conclusion that justice and policing suck. Big time. Did you hear about the unemployed guy who was retrieving golf balls from a lake and reselling them? Jailed for 20mths or something for theft. I mean, wtf? As far as the Golf club and its members are concerned, those balls were lost forever, fair play to the guy for a bit of ingenuity (and he WASN'T claiming unemployment benefit or anything). Then you compare this to something which happened to my sister-in-law a couple of weeks back; she was driving down the Motorway round Manchester and she cut up some guy in a Range Rover or something (she drives a beat up Renault 5), well he comes up right behind and she thinks he's going to ram her. what he does is pull up alongside, reach over into the backseat, wind down the window and throw a hopusebrick, A FRIGGING HOUSEBRICK! at her windscreen. Fortunately, it only caused a minor crack. Not being content with this, he pulls up along the other side, gets another brick and throws it through her rear window, completely shattering it! Now she's obviously shaken up, but her friend is with her, so she's able to keep her calm. Luckily they get the number of the car and immediately call the police. Get this, rather than going round to the guy's house to arrest the f*cker, they call him up and ask him about it. well, he tells them that he has his own builing business and that his employees often use his car and that he couldn't be sure who was driving it at the time, but would 'ask around'. Basically, the police tell my sister-in-law that there is probably very little they can do about it, unless they can find out who exactly was driving the car at the time. I was so bloody angry when my wife told me about this, what if she had been killed? What if there were kids in the back? What if it had caused a major accident?

He'll probably get off scott-free and the poor golfball diver gets put in the clink. There is NO justice! I'm so angry about this, I'm shaking as I type. I'm tempted to go over there with a few friends and several cricket bats and beat the living sh*t out of this piece of crap lowlife.

Heh, at least you guys were never harrassed by the police just because you drive a powerful car. I got stoped last night for no appearant reason. They tried their hardest to "extort" money from me by claiming I was speeding (which i wasn't). Then tried to get me done for driving without insurance (which again I'm perfectly legit). In the end, after explaining that I had 2 lawyers that would be willing to defend me for free, all I got was a provider.

Oh, and one of the plod's remark really hurt me. I've yet to decide what course of action to take. It was really......insensitive of him to say such things.

Paddy...can I call you Paddy?, I bet you (or one of the people involved with the brick incident) could file a complaint with the department and possibly pursue further legal courses of action and maybe make a profit. I hate people who sue for no reason but it's the best way to get an agency to clean up their act....hit when it hurts....in the wallet. Of course I don't know how they handle things on your side of the world.

Usually there is a grievance process it's just a matter of how user friendly it is. And that is usually directly proportional to how much free time and money you have. Of course that’s just how I see it from over this side of the lake.

Guest $iLk

You would be surprised how little police forces and the justice system is legally able to do because of city and state laws.

I've had to put up with lots of b*tching and moaning when people's problems weren't solved fast enough.

Many police begin their job enthusiastically, but get b*tched at so much for every little thing, that they really believe there is nothing they can do.

They could have done something if they had witnessed it. But having not witnessed it, you and your wife will have to take it to your local court, or the court where this happened, and file charges against the person. Then the police will probably arrest him 3 months down the road, and he will post bail and pay a little fine - none of this money will you see, as the entire justice system is designed to enrich the city and state governments. You won't see a dime from it unless you sue for damages, which your lawyer will then take a nice 30% cut of that (or more).

So yeah, justice sucks.

Paddy,

If the police are truly interested in solving the crime they will get a list of employees from the owner, who had access to the vehicle on that date. They will also ask the employer to provide picture id's or else bring your sister around to various jobsites in unmarked vehicle to id the driver, assuming she can do so. It may not hurt to drive your sister down to the guys office and hand outside across the street and see if she can i.d. any of the employees going in or out.

Don't just let them sit on this I would call every week or so to ask how they are proceeding.

You could sue in civil court but would be limited due to the lack of actual physical injury to your sister and yes, unfortunately, it would cost you money to do so.

As for the golf ball guy, thats a damn joke, you have to identify the balls as stolen before theft can be charged, you actually would have to identify the balls as coming from the lake and having been reported as stolen. They were never the property of the course, cripes this means we cannot even use "found" golf balls during a round as that would amount to conversion or possession of the proceeds of crime. Another case of a political appointee on the bench who has no grasp of the law or the ramifications of reckless decisions.

I am glad your sister is okay.

Cheers

Police have developed a reputation and they have to deal with that. When the trust / respect is lost it is hard to replace. It can be done....but it is not an easy job. Personally I think police should be compensated better....but then we should demand a higher caliber of officer as well.

I think in paddy's case, like any where else, the officer in charge may not be a workaholic...maybe for the reasons above...maybe not. But you get what you pay for and sometimes you get a dud. So that’s when you go talk to a supervisor. Or try to sue the agency...if they acted improperly.

Hell it could turn into a class action if other people have been hit with bricks and no charges were filed...if the bearings don't squeak they don't get no grease.

Its in those beautiful moments of life that I take out my paintball pistol I got under my seat and nail the *******'s windshield with marbles.

Regardless, the car's owner should be held responsible, it is HIS car and it was NOT stolen. Did she keep the brick that went through the window? There's something called fingerprints you know, you pay like 80 bucks to have it checked for prints and it'd be easy to know who threw it.

Damn, s.it like this makes me want to get my shotgun, call the cops and tell them that if they can't administer some justice then I will do it myself. Then if they (cops are "powerless") I will do revenge onto the other guys car and when the cops call me I would say, "I have a family car and am not sure if my mother in law, my sister, my brother, any of thier or my kids were driving the car, BUT I WILL ASK AROUND."

Guest Remo Williams

That bites, if the police can't or won't help you. Just take the jerks brick and return it to him in the same fashion that you received it. Of course you would have to know where he lives.

Like I said, it happened to my sister-in-law in Manchester. It would be tough for me to seek my own justice...........

Then again, my wife is from Northern Ireland and I'm sure her sister knows people, who know people, who know other people who would jump at the chance at a bit of indiscriminate Brit-bashing............

im serious. does she have the brick? if she does the fingerprints are there. That kind of actions are punishable by law. Thats aggravated assault man.

A WRX. Taking her up to the racetrack in a couple of weeks time. Who knows? I might be the new Tommi Makinnen.

[ 05-08-2002, 16:26: Message edited by: Fendi ]