Matrox Parhelia 512 video card

Scrivener

Lots of good news today! PS2 prices drop to $199 and Matrox announces a card that slaughters anything Nvidia may be able to put out for the next year.

Seriously, Matrox. Whoda thunk it. If they can put out drivers of any reasonable quality, their new Parhelia will kick GeForece ass. And this comming from an Nvidia fanboy. Check the numbers:

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_...release/001.htm

[ 05-14-2002, 14:19: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Yeah, this announcement, coupled with Creative Labs' announced "P10" card signals a new era, I think, and one that will hopefully last for a while. This should hopefully drive prices down and quality up

Question is, is there room for four chipset companies?

• 1 month later...

Matrox better seriously consider a price drop on that card. It is not a vidcard I would drop $400 for. For that price it has to, at most keep up with Nvidia's flagship GF4 Ti4600, which leaves the Parhelia in its dust. The only people I see buying that card at the current MSRP of $400, is Matrox fanboys.

I don't think any gamer in their right minds would buy this card, now that we have all the details about it.

However, casual gamers who also do content production work, may find uses for it. Only high-end games such as fp shooters, sims etc, require GF4 type speed. Other games don't.

Too bad... I was hoping Matrox would bring their 3d up to par with their sweet 2d performance.

Oh well, I guess it's still the Quadro DCC or Qaudro4 XGL for me

Maybe ATI's R300 will be everything I want: perfect 2d; fast 3d; multimonitor support; and a pricetag somewhere around free hehe