Feds deny asking ISPs to store email

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Last month, the European Union passed a resolution that would require all ISPs to store for up to seven years e-mail message headers, Web-surfing histories, chat logs, pager records, phone and fax connections, passwords, and more.

With the amount of spam circulating the web today, those ISP's better prepare to keep 100GB HDs per account.

my opinion on the situation is.......... if u dont want it hacked into (i.e. govt servers) dont put the thing online.

its amazing how stupid our govt has become and how lil freedom we have. heck we really only have the illusion of freedom

Take a read through http://www.house.gov/judiciary/77697.PDF which would allow your ISP to turn any data to any gov. agency without the need to see a warrant and without any fear that you might sue because HR 3482 also specifically prevents you from sueing. ISP's can already do that under the Patriot Act but the PA only allows such information to be given to law enforcement. HR 3482 allows that information to be given to ANY agency.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Take a read through
which would allow your ISP to turn any data to any gov. agency without the need to see a warrant and without any fear that you might sue because HR 3482 also specifically prevents you from sueing. ISP's can already do that under the Patriot Act but the PA only allows such information to be given to law enforcement. HR 3482 allows that information to be given to ANY agency.

if its passed, American citizens are gonna get 'did' against a wall with hand cuffs and no vasaline

sorry if that line is a lil graphic but thats how its quickly becoming in America. i have more pride in my freakin state (Cali) than i do in my own damn country

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

If its passes (as I suspect that it won't), ISPs are going to be in a world of hurt.

As I said, PGP is it.

I also believe it will be defeated but it just shows what's really going on in the minds of our politicians.

PGP and thankfully GNUPGP exists just in case PGP continues to vanish or has someone finally bought it from Network Associates retirement shelf?