Evidence of reduction in the speed of light

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

I think I'd slow down after a 12 billion mile journey too!!!

Mike has it right I think. That article was poor compared to the one I saw in Yahoo news. (AP or Reuters forget which)

That article expanded on the premise that it may only matter on huge scales and that a local scale (our solar system) it may matter very little if at all.

I can accept that very old light would slow down and newly created light travels at the speed that has been calculated.

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

NOOOOOO

Now when my BattleCruiser MK3 goes light speed it will go slower. As if it doesnt go slow enough already (cheap GALCOM engines)

Nah... If the light in everything is going slower, then so is time, and therefore, so is your apparent observation of its passage...

Photons are observed going slower than the universal constant of 3e8 m/s all the time. In fact, we have slowed photons to a dead stop. This reduction theory is rubbish for the maximum speed is not influenced by the present speed of photons.

"Never under-estimate the power of stupid people in large groups,"

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Photons are observed going slower than the universal constant of 3e8 m/s all the time. In fact, we have slowed photons to a dead stop. This reduction theory is rubbish for the maximum speed is not influenced by the present speed of photons.

Exactly!! I hate kippers and sardines too!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Exactly!! I hate kippers and sardines too!

I don't like squids or octopuses.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Draconis Rex:

Nah... If the light in everything is going slower, then so is time, and therefore, so is your apparent observation of its passage...

is that why i always forget what day it is???

like i said... theoretical physics... if thats the case, im a master of theoretical physics everytime i goto the bathroom

It was my understanding that the amazing thing for relativity to work was that the speed of light was the same no matter what the reference frame was. So if light is faster everywhere one day and then slower everywhere the next, relativity would still hold.

I think this discovery is amazing but to say it "shatters relativity" is a bit premature, me thinks.

I thought inflationary theory predicted that light would travel faster in the early stages of the big bang?

[ 08-23-2002, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Or ]