A game NOT to buy ...

Epsilon 5

quote:

However, it's still unsettling, when you're playing Rogue States as the Independence Liberation Army, to load terrorist units into trucks or airplanes and then drive the vehicles into an enemy building for a suicide attack, all the while hearing them confirm the orders in Arabic.

I can see it now... the media will start making a big deal over that feature and another crap game will achieve record sales due solely to being controversial.

*providing a voice of good sense (aka (un)common sense)*

would a game were the US takes over other countries through subterfuge be more to your guys likings?

im not saying what they did is right or wrong, but they tried to make it realistic, or at least correct, so if that means suicide bombings then so be it. thats what the Independence Liberation Army has to work with then thats what they will use. i mean how else do u fight the worlds most technologically advanced army? they are trained to use whatever resources they have available.

and everyone cries 9/11 this and 9/11 that, ppl died, its a natural and everyday (3rd world countries) thing. now before u mistake me as being evil, it is sad so many died and my heart go out to the families. but lets be practical, all 9/11 did was cause the band-wagon effect. no one cared for patriotism, till then now u see flags holding flags. all this this hero talk is BS, u cant be a hero if u do ur doing ur job. now before u mistake me as being evil again, the NYPD, NYFD and Paramedics did a hell of a good job and do deserve recognition, but lets keep it reasonable

as a quote i once saw said,

quote:

What good is an honest soldier if he can be ordered to behave like a terrorist? - artist omited

so basically if we can order our troops to attack another country then are they really that different from a terrorist? they are doing the same job, making another country kneal to the others whims

ok that last part is off-topic, but back to the game. i really dont see why america is so scared of the truth. terrorism is an everyday thing for a lot of countries, so why not show ppl some of it (and let them play some of it) and let them truely overstand the world we live in

and on another point.....

IT'S JUST A GAME!

[ 10-19-2002, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Enigma ]

No problem with suicide bombings... if somebody wants to make a 'Terrorist Simulator' where the object is to take over a 747 with box cutters and crash the plane into prominent buildings I have no problem with it as long as it's worth playing. However, I have a problem with crap games that put in obviously controversial subjects to make sales.

Something to point out for all of you: so called terrorist tactics are common in RTS games, itÔÇÖs just that most people donÔÇÖt think of them that way. Ever played WarCraft 2? What do you think goblin sappers and Dwarven demolition squads were if not suicide bombers? Or mage bombing (sending a mage into an enemy base and when units move to engage him have him cast blizzard on himself)? In Total Annihilation you have sniper kbots which, being able to cloak, can be sent in to eliminate the enemy commander (or simply to target him for long rang artillery, both strategies usually ending up with the loss of the sniper). Playing earth 2150 I have been subject to numerous suicide attacks by bombers who will fly into my base and (maybe) destroy a unit or building, before being taken out. If you have ever plaid homeworld cataclysm (and I donÔÇÖt advise it btw, itÔÇÖs not all that great a game) youÔÇÖll be familiar with mimics and mimic corvettes, which use cloaking technology to disguise themselves as enemy units and then kamikaze. ThatÔÇÖs more suicide bombers (in fact, there half crazed suicide bombers who are out for revenge). I could go on and on (including a few nasty ways I have backstabbed my cousin, but I shanÔÇÖt get into that), but dirty and underhanded tactics are inherent in most any RTS game, and some of these tactics will be considered terrorist. The only new thing here is that they happen to be Arabs, and it happens to be one of there primary strategies.

There is a difference, actually. Dwarves, goblins and mages aren't commiting suicide bombings in the real world, and I've yet to see a kamikaze space ship on the news. I did however hear this rumor somewhere that Arabs have crashed airplanes into buildings.

Do I care if somebody wants to make a game that covers sensitive topics? Would I be offended by games who's point is to crash planes into buildings, shoot up high schools, assassinate the president, run a concentration camp or any other un-PC topic? No, not at all. The problem is that most games that do it are crap and not worth much as games. They use controversy to sell rather than good game design. Postal comes to mind as a big offender of days past.

Why would crap games that use controversy to sell bother me? Because that same controversy invites the morons in government to attack the gaming industry, as they've tried to do in the past. Government censorship and regulation is not something I want to see because some developers can't make a product that can sell without resorting to such marketing tactics.

Sure thereÔÇÖs a difference, IÔÇÖm not denying that, I was simply saying (at length) that the only thing different about this game (and being horribly buggy doesnÔÇÖt count, thatÔÇÖs not all that uncommon) is that it happens to be Arabs doing the suicide bombings. And furthermore, I agree that it is a rather cheep ploy to sell there game.

I hadnÔÇÖt thought about government censorship though, that would be rather bad, if rather unlikely (after all, there is nothing obscene about crazed Arab suicide bombers, and if censorship includes things that are simply not PC then things are a hell of a lot worse then I thought).

quote:

I hadnÔÇÖt thought about government censorship though, that would be rather bad, if rather unlikely (after all, there is nothing obscene about crazed Arab suicide bombers, and if censorship includes things that are simply not PC then things are a hell of a lot worse then I thought).

Heh... I don't put it past our elected officials to try and censor anything they think they can get away with.