Freelancer not vaporware?

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was more relieved than inspired, knowing that the game still exists.

Adding this to the news that Ubi Soft is picking up Conquest: Frontier Wars makes me feel less bad about the fate of Digital Anvil.

However, the only thing that will inspire me is a Freelancer demo, or maybe a trailer with lots of in-game footage.

I just hope that Chris Roberts is still in the foreground of development. This is his first game design since Strike Commander (I don't think he designed the WC sequels).

By the way, what does YMMV mean?

I spoke too soon.

The final Freelancer trailer (shown at E3 a few days ago) featured a lot of in-game footage, but none of it was from the view of the cockpit.

It was mostly external views in space and transition animations on the planetside area.

The cinematics are stunning, though.

I did some more browsing, and found out that Chris Roberts is no longer directing Freelancer's development.

He quit the Lead Designer position in December after Microsoft acquired Digital Anvil. He is now the Creative Consultant. The new guy at the helm is Jorg Neumann (former Lead Designer of Loose Cannon).

In an interview with GameSpot in December, Roberts said that most of the framework was already completed and that little would be changed significantly. I'm not sure.

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

I just hope that Chris Roberts is still in the foreground of development.

Unfortunatly as stated earlier Chris is not in control anymore but is being kept on in a consultant role. If I remember right the reason he quoted for leaving originally was that he recognised that Freelancer could not be the game that he wanted it to be due to current technological limitations.......

Guest Commander Hamblin

I've always thought the Warmonger looked like a flying duck's beak.

Oh, wait, you were talking about Freelancer ships.

Has anyone seen the Freelancer Intro? It rocks! I have never seen such high quality CGI in any other game. The influence of Chris Roberts is very apparent in these cinematics (I wouldn't be surprised if he directed them himself). The story is also quite interesting, even though it rips off half of the plot devices from Freespace. Check it out.

http://www.lancersreactor.com/dlfiles/flintro.wmv

Guest hindot

Who knows when this game comes out. I like the original privateer and freelancer seems to capture the same concept but in the end there can be only one and that my friends is BCM. When u grasp your copy of BCM in your hands, think of it as the most precious item you'll ever have that's worth living for, worth dying for. And to those who try to steal your copy or pirate it, lord have mercy upon your souls.

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: hindot ]

quote:

The server is not fast... ONLY 10ks...

Try downloading the zip file.

http://www.lancersreactor.com/dlfiles/flintro.zip

quote:

Who knows when this game comes out. I like the original privateer and freelancer seems to capture the same concept but in the end there can be only one and that my friends is BCM. When u grasp your copy of BCM in your hands, think of it as the most precious item you'll ever have that's worth living for, worth dying for. And to those who try to steal your copy or pirate it, lord have mercy upon your souls.

Freelancer is a different game altogether. It's a combination of the Privateer style of Space Combat/Trade Simulation and the elements of Action/Adventure, which is why Freelancer will have more depth in character interaction than BCM.

BCM is a combination of the Elite style of Space Combat/Trade Simulation and elements of 3D Real Time Strategy, which is why it will have a much bigger scope and feature set than Freelancer.

The biggest similarity between the two in terms of gameplay will be the AI controlling the dynamic universe. BCM obviously has a more complex AI than Freelancer because it's a much bigger game and facilitates a wider variety of interactions between objects, while Freelancer's AI has more attention to detail in terms of how different actions affect the workings of the universe.

I'm probably making a lot of mistakes in my descriptions, in which case I hope someone will reply and help clear things up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a few things to say (I'm sure you care )

1. I hate the capital ships. I mean c'mon a flying duck??? And if you look at them they all have a giant "duck beak"

2. I still have Freespace 1 on my comp.

(useless bit of info.)

3. I look forward to playing this game...even though I HATE the cap. ships. I mean it has been sooooo long till I got a good space sim. BC3K was a good one, along with Freespace 1. I haven't played FS 2 though. Well that's just my opion on this whole situation.

• 5 months later...