Freelancer not vaporware?

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Bleh, I don't like how EVERYTHING looks... Looks too much like asian stuff, too triangulated... Their liberty fighter looks too weird... and object-looking battleships? Looks lame.

And you forget the most important thing...

...they won't have my soundtrack

freelancer looks impressive visualy i was real intrested until i read the faq, you cant fly capital ships.. only fighters, i didnt find anywhere in the faq where it actually said you could get out of your ship either.. but what i do like is the asteroids floating around the planatary belts they look cool, being able to fly around the black holes is cool to, the battle ships look realistic for some odd reason even tho a real battle ship doesnt exist.. they look like the ones from earth and beyond

this picture sooo reminds me of one of the starship trooper ships from some odd reason to..

http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/art/displa...le=approach.jpg

Guest Remo Williams

I think BCM's graphic engine far surpasses whatever engine their using. Take this in-game screen shot for example. The planet in the background bites when compared to the ones in BCM. I know XP1 is just going to blow it out of the water as far as graphics go.

I'm sure I'll give it a go though sooner or later.

[ 01-30-2002, 19:33: Message edited by: Remo Williams ]

they both look about the same but when xp1 comes out with sc talking about a updated graphics engine i would imagine bcm is going to look better, i havent really ever seen high res textures on planets, in any space shooter unless their a fake back ground and not a real 3d object theirs most likely a reason for that, i think if you wanted the planet to look better close up youd need a level of detail designd for planets so as you get closer the textures change to higher res ones..

I don't care if the lightning is the best around, that nebulas wave around my ship like it does in the ST voyager intro... if it looks like I'm fightning a glorified CAN OPENER it's stupid.

quote:

And you forget the most important thing...

...they won't have my soundtrack

I know I sometimes put my music loud by I can't SEE it yet

Hehe, the guys at Lancers Reactor were biting their finger nails off waiting for that update (it was the first in two months).

quote:

I think BCM's graphic engine far surpasses whatever engine their using. Take this in- game screen shot for example. The planet in the background bites when compared to the ones in BCM.

That's an old screenshot. The texture is probably a placeholder.

quote:

I don't care if the lightning is the best around, that nebulas wave around my ship like it does in the ST voyager intro... if it looks like I'm fightning a glorified CAN OPENER it's stupid.

Heh. They do look kinda like can openers, don't they? What's more, they have folding wings that look like they belong on a sailboat or a blimp or something. I can see it now- you blow up another ship and the resulting shrapnel shreds your 'star sails', or whatever. You have to limp back to base with no yaw control.

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Makes me think about BCO.

Dunno why that would be, since most of it reminds me of every BC title. There's really nothing ground breaking in there; so I'm a tad confused actually.

What'd I miss?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Makes me think about BCO.

Dunno why that would be, since most of it reminds me of every BC title. There's really nothing ground breaking in there; so I'm a tad confused actually.

What'd I miss?

Just about the little (but nonetheless important) parts about interacting with npc's, having a variable reputation with every faction and getting support from friendlies.

MS has also announced in a press release that Freelancer will be in stores this Fall.

Have you seen the new fact sheet on Freelancer? 6 out of the 8 features are either directly from Privateer 1 or expanded upon. The only thing that seems remotely innovative is the dynamic multi-rail combat (the Neuronet's tactical maneuvers).

Looks like the quality of the game will depend completely on execution (e.g. Freespace).

If you ever happened to see a scenery like the one shown in the mid shot, I think you are down to 10 fps on an "average" computer (like mine: 900 MHz, GeForce 2 Pro).

Just eye candy. We will see how the game really feels, beyond the optics...

[ 02-28-2002, 01:16: Message edited by: Gudihl ]

It seems will be a good game but it'll lack the huge world and the impressive gameplay of BCM. And Xtended Play packs will bring BCM in a new dimension. I continue to think that years will pass before there will be a real competitor of BCM. And this competitor will be obliged to copy BCM features that right now are unique of BCM. This means that BCM will be remembered as the founder of the new space sim generation that will be in the next years...

[ 02-28-2002, 03:23: Message edited by: Vanethian ]

quote:

Originally posted by Fractux:

I must day they did a good job of making the planet look good.

I too wonder what the gameplay will be like though.

Cheers!

Its not real, thats why. In fact, in XP1, since the planets are real and the system requirements have been beefed up, the sphere is a lot more rounded and the new light sources will also give that eerie glow. Not a big deal - its just nicer when the planet is real i.e. you can enter it and not just some restricted, canned section ala Elite.

Lets put it this way, Freelancer will be competing directly with XP1 come fall.

[ 02-28-2002, 10:27: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Not interested in playing space-sim if you can┬┤t leave your craft or enter a planet. BCM offers a gameplay that Freelancer can┬┤t compete with, at least for those who have played BCM, there will be something missing in Freelancer. But that just me talking.

True, but some people who are fans of Privateer, the storyline etc, will probably like it. If they pull it off and do it right, it will just serve to bolster the rather stagnant space sim genre.

The likes of X, Jumpgate, Darkspace et al, didn't do squat in this regard. Neither did IWar 2, come to think about it.

I think that Freelancer and BCM (and its add-ons) can bolster the genre because each give different experiences.