Game Cube goodness

Guest Grayfox

Guest Grayfox

well, after receiving my hefty income tax return check, i take my kid to toys r us and set him loose with some cashola... im walkin around waiting for him to get done, and i pass the software section of TRU... they juuuuuuust so happened to have a PS2, xbox, and gamecube for sale...

i peruse the games for each, and found nintendo to have more along the line of what i like, and the price was 100$ cheaper than the xbox AND PS2. so needless to say i picked one up... hey ive been good this month

i also picked up Rogue Leader, and Resident Evil (the remade PSX version done strictly for the cube) and all i can say is holy s*&t. the graphics are amazing. easily on par with the box, and definitely better than the PS2. the console itself is tiny as hell... maybe 9" all around, and the cd's are mini cd's. i dont care if i can't play DVD's in it... i have a DVD player... thats what they make those for

anyways, ill be a hermit for a few months while i "road test" the cube. if anyone else out there has one, share some posts.

[ 05-08-2002, 10:33: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

I got it to

with luigi's mansion for my girlfriend (got the keep the women happy)

Roque leader and bloody roar: Primal fury

Hey s.c. give is us bcm goodness on the cube

Jamont, come to your senses, no console can come close to a properly developed PC title, such as BCM. Notice I said properly, that doesn't mean something that was ported over.

Can you immagine how dumbed down BCM would become to survive on a console?

I will never own a gaming console as long as there are titles available for the PC.

[ 05-08-2002, 12:20: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

I agree with Greg.

Consoles are no match for a decent PC.

Sure, PCs may cost more, but you can upgrade and save without forking over cash for 15 saves- two big problems with consoles.

Heh, even the resolution is way higher, as TVs only support something like 540x380.

If you had ever seen/played the N64 port of StarCraft, BCM-on-a-console'd be even worse.

Besides, the xbox & PS2 use DVDs, meaning an emulator will come out sometime & you can play them on a PC.

Sure, you'll need a DVD drive, but thats way cheaper than a PS2 or xbox.

Greg you have obviously never played Halo. Yes the level of complexity of Pc games is unparalelled by any console. But console particularly Xbox has some advantages. Such as not having to buy and profile,install and tweak joysticks. I made the mistake of buying a Logitech

Wingman 3D which I have had a hell of time using with my older games(Freespace 1&2, TOP Gun Hornets nest etc..) After hours of F**king around with that , it's nice to pick up a controller turn on the console and blow s**t up. Consoles don't crash and lose your game if you don't save and you never have to worry about whether you can meet the systems requirements or patches for games that arent really done yet.

Don't get me wrong I boughta brand new system just to play BCM and I spend way more time getting smoked by Gammulan Stormcarriers than I do playing Halo , but I enjoy both. You live in Pgh , come on by the house and I'll show you

Com. Race BannonIV

GCV-Valiant Victorious

quote:

posted by Race Bannon IV:

Consoles don't crash and lose your game if you don't save

Untrue. Consoles crash. Not as much as PCs do, but they crash nonetheless.

quote:

you never have to worry about whether you can meet the systems requirements

Means that games can only get so big, before the system cant handle them.

quote:

or patches for games that arent really done yet

a game being console-based means that it is far harder to distribute improvements on a game that has existing bugs, or to have an add-on pack.

Really, if you need a console-like joystick, go get a gravis gamepad pro - its nearly identical to a PSX/PS2 controller.

But that's irrelevent, as PCs offer far more flexibility. Try a console FPS. The control mode requires numerous key combos to do something simple, like open a door. PC FPS, however let you bind a key to that.

A console's only saving throw is that configuration is easier.

BTW- Halo is a piece of s***.

Why is is posts like this degenerate into either PC vs. Console or Console vs. console... For crying out loud, Jamont was probably just making a joke. Can we get back on topic please?

Good grief.

I have a cube. I have LM, Rogue(can't get past one mission, though), SSBM (THE reason to own the system), Wave Race: Blue Storm, and soon to be Lost Kingdoms and the aforementioned Resident Evil.

Console games can crash? Really? I honestly thought that they were pretty crash proof.

What happens, do you get a blue screen of death or something.

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I never play console games and I really want to know.

quote:

Originally posted by Kush:

Console games can crash? Really? I honestly thought that they were pretty crash proof.

What happens, do you get a blue screen of death or something.

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I never play console games and I really want to know.

- Lock-up

- Reboot

A friend of mine has a playstation and some games crashed from time to time.. quite rarely in fact.

Game Cube is really FANTASTIC!!! The best think is that u can play it on your TV!!! There are Computer Games and Consule Games, they really don't go well together. I like to play some type of games in my PC( for example: CS; BC; Diablo) games that on a consule would seem rather inapropriet. And games like ZELDA; Basketball(really PC wizzards does games are really hard to play on PC) and other types of games go better on a consule. With a Pc and a console we can have the best of both worlds. GAME OVER

After messing my pants in anticipation for titles like the upcoming Tekki (Mech sim, has a 40 button controller sold seperately.. w00t!), I think I'll be investing in an XBox.. plus, with my PS2, I've got Xenosaga to look forward to

Though Rogue Leader and the new Resident Evil game look pretty sweet...

[ 05-09-2002, 13:45: Message edited by: Parias ]

Guest Grayfox

the re-hashed resident evil is 20 times better than the original... somethings have changed (puzzles, outdoor areas, etc) but alot is still like the original...

the graphics are toooooo sweet... almost like bein there yerself.

Guest Grayfox

erf... Rogue leader is worth the price of the cube in itself...

this one follows more closely to the movie set than the first one did. your first mission is the attack on the first death star it progresses through including the battle of hoth and culminating in the battle of endor... Theres only 10 missions, and 5 extra missions you "buy" with points for getting certain medals. also finding powerups isnt essential for gold medal contention... sweet you get what you need and forget the rest.

my god i think there were less TIEs in the movie than were in the battle of endor level

overall for this one id give it 9.99/10 (i dont believe anything should be perfect)

[ 05-14-2002, 21:38: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by XenoZohar:

quote:

Originally posted by Parias:

... plus, with my PS2, I've got Xenosaga to look forward to

Well, well, do I detect a fellow Xeno-nut?

You mean others exist? Hah, at last, one who won't give me a strange look every time I utter the acronym "A.G.W.S" or the words "KOS-MOS"!

Can't wait for the English release due out next year.. definately hoping this year's E3 will reveal some more info.

• 7 months later...
Guest Grayfox

*bump*

ok got 2 "new" ones for the cube... Resident Evil 0 and Legends of Wrestling 2.

lemme start out with RE0... has anyone else played this one??? am i the only one who thinks its kinda bland??? i dunno, maybe cause its supposed to be the prequel, and the story needs developing so you understand whats going on. I liked the team aspect, but i didnt like the no item box. although the dropping items was cool.

cant wait for RE2 to come out... that was my fav.

ok, onto LOW2. This one is 20 times better than the first. Its got wrestlers i remember as a kid like Bruno Sammartino, Baron Von Raschke, Dr. Death. its also got Piper (my all time favorite) but how could they forget Jesse "The Body"??? (my next all time fav). they remembered andre the giant in this one, and tossed in some cool old folks like mil mascaras (another fav of mine) and Big John Studd.

the Create a Wrestler is also alot better in this one. the legends that werent added you can create rather easily. AND you can give your wrestler his finishing move, unlike the first one where you took what they gave you. I made the Macho man, And Jesse the Body, ill probably make Dusty Rhodes too and Demolition.

if you got a cube, rent these 2 games and check em out... definitely worth it.

you know, sometimes it is nice just to plug in the xbox live head set and just plug in a game and sit in the comfort of my living room on my 51 inch tv just to play a few bloody matches of Mech Assault, or perhaps Ghost Recon... I am a avid and hardcore computer gamer (dont forget), however, every machine in my house that is capable of gaming is as lound as can be (gotta keep em cool)... plus, its just more relaxing using a controller and not worrying about hitting 20 different keys. Its like a mini-vacation.