New Vid card:HELP!

Kevin Trotter

My 32mb GeForce2 mx200 is showing its age. I cant get though one mission in MW4: Mercernaries without massive slowdowns (just purchased and installed)same with UT2003. My old games play ok but the newer ones really suck. I am considering the following vid cards as upgrades and need some guidance. I cannot afford a

GeForce4Ti or anything like that but these others are in my range.

GeForce256 Graphics Processor Unit

GeForce4 MX 64mb DDR

Geforce4 Mx440 128mb DDR

[ 03-28-2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Race Bannon IV ]

You could get a Geforce 3 Ti200 for around $93 shipped with 128megs of VRam at newegg. Atleast that would be better than a castrated Geforce 4mx, which is just a rebaged GF2. The future of Gaming is soon to require a minium of a GF3 anyway for the Vertex Shaders that the GF4mx series doesn't have. They should have never named those new MX cards with a misleading Geforce 4 badge, as they are not even up to Geforce 3 standards. The true Geforce 4 cards are the Ti series.

[ 03-25-2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Thanks Greg , Emmitt . I sprung for the GeForce3 and it was only $ 10.00 more than the 440MX excluding the shipping. Since my PC incompetence is legend both of you will be hearing from when the new card arrives for install tips(ha,ha,ha)

One of my friends just got a Radeon 7000 for $35 at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago for his 500 mhz computer. I'd swear that his speed and quality outdid my old geforce4 on my 850 mhz comp, who knows, but if you want cheap, from what I see that card is extremely good (and cheap) with the newest drivers. (also, my friend is funning XP on that old computer and it runs perfect with all graphic options on with that video card, I was quite suprised since my 850mhz a while had problems with all options on, not anymore with my Radeon 9700 Pro, I can even play Unreal Tournament 2003 on 1024x768 on high quality with well over 45 fps on my 850mhz 384 megs ram computer, beat that for antiquity playing the new things more then perfect)

i went from a GeForce 2MX to a GeForce 4MX 420 and it was a big boost, no pixel shaders, but i can run games alot better now, got it at best buy openboxed at like $40-45 and it had a $10 rebate

not the best i know, but it gets the job done

Guest Grayfox

well, i shyte-canned my radeon 7000 and got a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 with 128MB DDR on it. boy talk about noticeable performance...

when i got it it was around $100 so its probably under that by now seeing as how its almost 6 months old. im sure greg could shoot an updated price.

but whatever makes YOU pleased that fits within your budget is whats important.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

Guys see Greg's post regarding GeForce4 MX's They are really misleading folks by referring to it as GeForce4. They are not GeForce4Ti and that 35 bucks aint that big of a bargain

i never said the 4MX were great, i just said it was a big boost compared to my 2MX

and to me $35 isnt bad for a cheapo card, until i build my new computer with a 9800 or 9900 if its out by then, my GeForce4 MX 420 is gonna havta do

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

i never said the 4MX were great, i just said it was a big boost compared to my 2MX

and to me $35 isnt bad for a cheapo card, until i build my new computer with a 9800 or 9900 if its out by then, my GeForce4 MX 420 is gonna havta do

You have a point but I was just pointing out that you would see a greater increase by using a different chipped GF 2 card (although at least you can pretend to your friends by saying you have a GF 4 badged card )

Guest JuanFermin

I just got accepted to the EVE Beta program, but my Radeon 7000 doesn't have the T&L to handle the Job. I want my next card to have not only the T&L, but also Pixel Shaders (DirectX 8.1 compatability). I was thinking of getting a Radeon 9000, I saw a few on Ebay for $79.00, what do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

Juan

Check TigerDirect and Newegg. I'm sure you can find something to fit your needs. I did. I installed it last week and have been playing UT , MW4: Mercenaries

and Medal of Honor:Allied Assault like a madman, with no problems.

Guest JuanFermin

Yeah but what do you think about the Radeon 9000 vs the Radeon 8500 vs the GForce 3 or 4 or whatever (I'd like to try to keep it well under $100.00)

From what I understand, the Radeon 9000 & 8500 are basically the same thing, with very minor differences, exactly what I don't know. I know the Geforce 3Ti is better than a Geforce 4MX400, but a lot more expensive (I think). I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck and wanted to know you guys opinion. Does anyone have some sort of chart that has all of them lined up with the features they have?

Thanks!!!

Juan

quote:

Originally posted by Fermin:

Yeah but what do you think about the Radeon 9000 vs the Radeon 8500 vs the GForce 3 or 4 or whatever (I'd like to try to keep it well under $100.00)

From what I understand, the Radeon 9000 & 8500 are basically the same thing, with very minor differences, exactly what I don't know. I know the Geforce 3Ti is better than a Geforce 4MX400, but a lot more expensive (I think). I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck and wanted to know you guys opinion. Does anyone have some sort of chart that has all of them lined up with the features they have?

Thanks!!!

Juan

The Radeon 9000 is actually slower than a Radeon 8500, which has actually been renamed Radeon 9100, just for that fact. Juan, go and read my post at the top. I found a GF3 Ti200 for $93 shipped for Race. The GF3 is not even in production anymore, and is not sold at the original price. The shops are trying to get rid of these cards.

Just to clear up the confusion on this matter. If anyone of you are planning on getting Battlecruiser:Generations, look at the product page. You will need a minimum of a Geforce3, an certainly not a GF4mx to play that game, as it is requiring those vertex shaders. Why throw money away on a vidcard that is becoming obsolete fast is beyond me. Either save for the proper card, or just buy it.