Who here works in Theatre?

weegee_101

I'm just making this post cause I'd like to see who all in this community works in theatre?

I don't mean movie theaters either, unless you actually work in the movie making industry. I'm talking about Actors and Actresses, Technicians, Playwrites, and Directors. Oh, community theatre I guess counts too.

I'm a Sound and Lighting Technician for the Golden Isles Arts and Humanities Association, Ritz Theater, located in Brunswick, GA. What do ya'll do?

I volunteer at the local community theater. I met my wife there. She used to do musicals, and backstage work. I usher and do general House stuff. Good friends of ours are board members of the theater, and are the stage managers, producers, and call the shows from the booth (one of them also does my wife's nails).

[ 06-13-2003, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Steve Schacher ]

quote:

Oh, community theatre I guess counts too.

I hope so!

I was always a fan of the theater, but I never got to see the "inside" until I met my wife. Even though it is community theater, I noticed a few important things:

1. It gets children interested in the arts.

2. It lets non-equity actors learn new roles in a safe environment.

3. My wife was what I call a "house player." I'm sure that even in Shakespeare's day, he was a "house player" at his local theater. I see the divas come and go as shows interest them, but the ensemble comes from the community and they appear in show after show after show. They are a family. Community theater is a gateway to regional theater and equity theater.

Also, theater people like to party.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

Also, theater people like to party.

Talk about it, whew!

Actually, the community theater where I live isn't that great. I do some lighting work for it but its extremely political. All you have to do for good parts in it is rub up on a few legs and on the day before audition they'll call you and tell you that you've got the lead role and don't need to come to the audition...

We do some community theatre projects at "The Ritz" because of this. The main community theater in our area really turns a bunch of people away from it because they're told to leave cause they're the wrong skin color or have bad teeth. We just don't feel thats the way community theatre should be; it gives theatre a bad name for newcomers.

For example, at my local community theatre, they're currently beginning their summer theatre workshop for the children. Well, they took two of the people who signed up for the workshop out to lunch the day of the auditions (Right before the auditions took place) and told them they would be the stars in the show. This was not giving anyone else a chance. Apparently most of the core cast had been picked already as well.

Not only do I feel that shows involving children should be fair with community theatre but I feel this was totally uncalled for. They've asked me to come in and set up their stack and mixer for the show and I'm not quite sure I'll do it because I've found this out.

Too bad this might make the local newspaper. This could really backfire on them with their children's show. I already know of a few people who are quite literally pissed that most of core parts had been chosen already before the auditions. So much for having a "fair" audition, the most they could have done was keep this all under wraps.

Eew, your cents definately won't be accepted at a vending machine. I sell popcorn at a theatre (the largest in the nation), but I don't think that counts.

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

Eew, your cents definately won't be accepted at a vending machine. I sell popcorn at a theatre (the largest in the nation), but I don't think that counts.

Hey, don't sell yourself short. You guys are just as important as the movie and who made the movie. What would the movie experience be like without popcorn!! That's like a hamburger without fries, Pizza without cheese well you get the idea.

(AND NO I'M NOT BEING SARCASTIC)