BLACKOUT 2003 and Visions of the future

LostInSpace

Ah the blame game. No better way for politicians and companies to cloud the entire issue than to start pointing the finger at each other and/or other countries. After watching all the political

talk shows I've come away with one thing: every leader knew that it wasn't a question of "IF" but when will this power grid failure would occur. And then to read and hear stupid statements like this:

quote:

"The grid needs to be modernized, the delivery systems need to be modernized. We've got an antiquated system." President Bush

He knew already. They all knew. The North American

Energy Reliability Commision told them so. There was a bill in congress not that long ago (a few months I think ) that addressed the issue of the power delivery system $350 million I think was proposed but it got watered down with special intrest items that no one voted for it. Example: the republicans put into the bill: Drilling for oil in the pristine arctic wildlife refuge. In other words, if you want us to vote for this bill we want this and we want that. What kind of crap is that. Why can't one single bill put forth in congress be left alone on the single issue of the original proposal. Needless to say the power bill never got anywhere.

Speaking of drilling for new sources of oil. It's a moot point. In 60 or 70 years max there is going to be no more oil to drill for and to use for our power grid because the oil is being consumed

so fast that it will be gone folks. You can make the futile attempt of drilling till this planet resembles a slice of swiss cheese to give a few

more years of an oil supply but with the same inevitable result: it's going to be gone! What will we do then? At the rate we and this government invest in alternative fuel sources we are doomed. Talk about something that's gunna come up and bite ya's in the a$$ like this black out.

There is a blame here ALL OF US are to blame for

allowing this kind of behavior to continue. Not just to fix the energy problem for us but for our children and their children. We need to stop passing these kinds of problems down from generation to generation. We need to start thinking about the future and not just to our present material wants. Remember what we do or do not do now will affect the future either way.

I did a web search for an estimate of how long oil is going to last and I came across this interesting article. FUTURE TIMES It's very thought

provoking. I suggest reading the entire article.

My search did come up with a few agreed statistics by 2020 we will all start feeling the crunch of oil shortage and by 2050+ there will be no more oil to be had and all of this depends on current predictions of global population growth.

Anyway, I can go on and on about this but what's your take on all this.

nah, everything will change, they will find more oil, we underestimate our resources ..

why do you think people have to die over and over because of some situation before a criminal law is enacted? The Titanic had to sunk before people realised we need to put enough rescue boats for everyone!

but everything will be ok.

Originaly posted by Epsilon 5

quote:

nah, everything will change, they will find more oil, we underestimate our resources ..

why do you think people have to die over and over because of some situation before a criminal law is enacted? The Titanic had to sunk before people realised we need to put enough rescue boats for everyone!

but everything will be ok.

Well we will be okay if something is done about

the inevitible right now instead of waiting, as everyone in this country has a habit of doing, till the last minute. The Political Resnigs don't help the matter either and at the rate this government is going we'll never achieve the status of a Type 1 civilization. What we need to do is follow Hawaii's lead in alternate energy sources that's right I said Hawaii. And I quote, The State of Hawaii is actively supporting the development of a mix of renewable energy resources including solar power, biomass, hydropower, wind power, geothermal energy, and ocean thermal energy conversion (OTEC). Hawaii's alternative energy . Looks like they are already on their way up the ladder to becoming a Type 1 culture.

Originaly posted by Bandus

quote:

:screams: We're gonna die!

Ain't it the truth .

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

how do you define a type 1 civilisation?

Did you not read that article I have linked in the first post if not do so it's very interesting.

Anyway, and I quote, "A Type One civilization is one that controls the energy resources of its planet. This civilization can control the weather, prevent earthquakes, mine deep in the earth's crust, and harvest the oceans. This civilization has already completed the exploration of its solar system?.

That article has a grim outlook towards our future, and I donÔÇÖt doubt much of it. The world seems to be putting itÔÇÖs problems in the hands of the next generation because the cost of doing anything will be very high. Personally I have investigated solar, and wind power, and again the cost has improved over the years but is still very high compared to conventional sources of energy. I can see the day when a backyard garden will be a must to survive, (probably not in my generation.. um I could be wrong about that).

After deregulation and massive rate hikes the power grid here is in a constant state of improvement but my UPS still lets me know about frequent power glitches.

Packing up to move to Hawaii.