How to be a good liberal.

Guest $iLk

quote:

If I have noticed one thing about liberals and conseritives it is that they both have very general views about the others. "Liberals" seem to consider the other half to be "hicks" and gun toating sister screwing idiots. I'm sorry to say but all the right wings I know are EXTREMELY well read and either small business owners or investers. Most of them are smarter than I am but are willing to teach me.

And I noticed that I make the same massive generalization time and again through out my entire post. I'm sorry lol. I am refering to the more out spoken and combative of each party!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serondal makes a number of very good points, one of which is the existence of the extreme animosity between both liberals(progressives as I like to call em) and conservatives. It is this animosity which in many cases stultifies any political progress and further deepens partisan politics. The losers are the American people who are often used as bargaining chips and rarely benefit from such frippery.

quote:

from my previous post:
An influential liberal is perceived to be someone who ....

Perceived.

Maybe I spelled it wrong. I don't know. I'll check later.

And the reason liberals are vilified right now is because, currently, conservatives are top dog. Eventually the scale will tip the other way.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

I've never seen a news story talking about how someone used a gun to defend himself in his own home.

Just do a web search on any of the key words in the following quote for more information.

quote:

2003 WorldNetDaily.com:

A Brooklyn man who shot and wounded an intruder while defending his family will spend three days in Rikers Island, the same jail housing the burglar who terrorized his home, because he owns an unregistered gun.

Ronald Dixon, a 27-year-old father of two, caught an intruder rifling through drawers in his son's room early on Dec. 14.

"I went in.  I looked in his face. I didn't know this guy; I was so shocked.  In a nervous voice I said, 'What are you doing in my house?' and he ran toward me yelling, 'Come upstairs!' like there were other people with him. I shot him 'cause I thought more people were in the house," Dixon told the New York Daily News.

Dixon fired two shots from his .9 mm pistol, wounding the suspected burglar in the chest and groin.

"The only thing I could think about was my family ÔÇô there was no telling what he would do to my children or girlfriend," he told the paper.

Authorities charged Dixon with illegal possession of a firearm when they discovered his gun was not legally registered in New York, a charge that carries up to a year in prison.

When Dixon proved he had obtained the firearm legally in Florida and tried to register it in New York, the prosecutors agreed to a charge of disorderly conduct.

You didn't take all of my quote, or didn't read it all. I said I've never seen it on Liberal news programs, I didn't say anything about the web. Don't take my quotes out of context, just makes you look like a snake.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

It's a pun. It's a "sickness" (influenza) that afflicts affluent (rich) people.

Affluent + Influenza = Affluenza.

Darn it Steve. You are simply going to have to buckle down, straighten up, fly right, and quit answering exactly what I asked.

It was obvious it was a play on words and a new coined term. But after searching the Internet whhat I found was that affluenza was a term used to denote "keep up with the Jones'" syndrome and/or appear successful at all costs up to and including leveraging youself into massive debt.

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza/

Af-flu-en-za n. 1. The bloated, sluggish and unfulfilled feeling that results from efforts to keep up with the Joneses. 2. An epidemic of stress, overwork, waste and indebtedness caused by dogged pursuit of the American Dream. 3. An unsustainable addiction to economic growth. 4. A television program that could change your life.

Affluenza is a one-hour television special that explores the high social and environmental costs of materialism and overconsumption.

Your definition seems entirely different and I was trying to reconcile the two.

Apologies for going off topic but trting to pin this down and see how it applies to the various arguments.

Chavik, you're probably more right than I am, now that I think about it. Affluenza is the irrational accumulation of material goods. On the one hand, it is a "keeping up with the Jones's" when you don't have the money to do so, thereby running up debt. On the other hand, it is also what spoils the rich, or the children of the rich, the problems that arise from having too much money.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

You didn't take all of my quote, or didn't read it all. I said I've never seen it on Liberal news programs, I didn't say anything about the web. Don't take my quotes out of context, just makes you look like a snake.

Originally, the story was on the news. That's where I saw it. But, unfortunately, I didn't record it at the time. So I did a web search to see if I could find reference to it somewhere. Which I did.

Sorry you misunderstood the post. My mistake.

quote:

On the other hand, it is also what spoils the rich, or the children of the rich, the problems that arise from having too much money.

That I can accept. I think I have seen that discussed before as well but can't remember where.

Oh well, thanks for clearing that up.