DMV eye exams

Blaster

Having passed my Michigan DMV eye exam, I was declared legal to drive without corrective lenses. While driving home without my glasses on, it occurred to me that the DMV was very wrong (I knew this but just had to try it anyway ).

Most slow and/or erratic drivers I have seen donÔÇÖt have glasses on. From my brief experience driving without glasses, I think they are probably trying to read the street signs or find an office building.

IMO the DMV is misleading people by basically telling them they donÔÇÖt need glasses (or contacts). Should the DMV require a certified eye exam to renew a driverÔÇÖs license, and would this reduce the number of accidents?

without checking stats, I am pretty sure that what cause most accidents are drunkeness (sp?) and lack of attention (i.e. driving & talking on the cellphone). Then you have mecanical issues.

Of course, a not-so-good eye is a source, but we have more dangerous causes we should take care of first.

----------

without checking stats, I am pretty sure that what cause most accidents are drunkeness (sp?) and lack of attention (i.e. driving & talking on the cellphone). Then you have mecanical issues.

----------

Quite true, drinking and driving appears to account for a large percentage of accidents, and cell phone use is growing, so that will probably get worse. Mechanical issues can be minimized with proper maintenance.

----------

Of course, a not-so-good eye is a source, but we have more dangerous causes we should take care of first.

----------

Also true, and people have been working on solutions for years with some progress, but it would seem that raising the standards for corrective lens use while driving and requiring an eye exam by an Optometrist would be a fairly simple solution to a small percentage of accidents.

I went for an eye exam before getting my licence and was told I didn't need glasses to drive, six months later I did a private eye exam and have been wearing glasses ever since.

Now I hate going for an eye exam as I end up having to change my glasses everytime I go!

In Germany you can go to any optician and let 'em test your eyes. Most of them take their job serious and truly find out wether you have to wear glasses or not. You need their OK to be admit to the "driving test". Unfortunately, when you passed the test, no one askes you to repeat the test after months or years so if your eyes get worse, you don't have to wear glasses, cause no one knows...but IMO you can't make people run tests on their eyes, ears, driving skills or whatever every year or so...

Traffic accidents will happen everywhere and will continue to happen.

But they're always trying to keep it in certain limits by, e.g. forbidding to talk on the cell while driving. But as long as it'll just cost you 30 Ôé¼ or $, few people care.

Very often, elderly people don't cause accidents, but are an obstacle for everyone else on the street (the great grand father of my girlfriend is 92 and still driving, at a top speed of 30 km/h). I think you should have to run qualification tests from the age of 55 onwards to verify your skills.

Well...happy driving for you guys

You have to be careful about who you go to get your eyes checked. I remember when I was a little boy and my mom took me to an eye doctor. The guy checked me out and said I had a stigmatism in one of my eyes and we bought glasses.

Well I wore them for a while but I saw just fine without them and when I did wear them they made my head hurt and it looked basically the same with them on as it did without them... So I stopped wearing them and recently I went to a different eye doctor and he told me I had excellent vision

Looks like the doc from the past was a crook.

quote:

Hey that avatar is taken already newbie!

There are more members than avatars, just think about it...

In the state of Pennsylvania, the DMV (PennDOT) makes you take a certified eye exam at the time of submitting the paperwork. I've had glasses since the 5th grade. The lady told me to take my glasses off and take the exam. I did. She then told me to take the exam again. I did. She then told me to put my glasses back on and take the exam again. I did. She passed me then, and I now have a requirement on my license that I must have corrective lenses on while driving.

God help any Pedestrians should I drive down a street they are crossing without my glasses on.

XOR, I am sure there's some massive conspiracy amongst opticians, you know.

At the same time myself, my brother and my sister were all prescribed glasses. I wore mine, they didn't wear theirs. Now I'm stuck with them for life while their eyes are perfect. Furthermore, I have spoken to a lot of people who have pretty much exactly the same story to tell. Seriously.

I was just lookng for a joke I got the other day about a ton of things being done while driving.

One night I ran a red light, of corse a cop was there, he pulled me over and asked if I knew what I did..

In true me fashion I said "Yes I ran the light, I didn't see it right away because I dropped my sandwich"

He didn't like that. I got a ticket. Then I got it fixed.

I wish there was a fairy avitar..mabey if I wish really really hard....