Ahh, The day after Thanksgiving shopping and hospitalization

Woman Knocked Unconscious By Wal-Mart Shoppers

Local 6 .com

quote:

Witnesses: Shoppers Stepped Over Woman Having Seizure

POSTED: 6:39 p.m. EST November 28, 2003

UPDATED: 6:58 p.m. EST November 28, 2003

ORANGE CITY, Fla. -- A 41-year-old woman was knocked unconscious and then trampled by a mob of shoppers who continued to step over her as she suffered a seizure during a Friday sale at Wal-Mart in Orange City, Fla., according to Local 6 News.

Authorities said that Patricia Van Lester arrived at Wal-Mart at 3 a.m. for an early sale on a DVD player for her mother. When the store's doors opened at 6 a.m., Van Lester grabbed the DVD player but was quickly overcome by hundreds of shoppers rushing into the store.

The woman was knocked to the ground, slammed her head on the ground and suffered at least one seizure, according to Local 6 News.

Her sister watched the incident and tried to stop the crowd as they made their way to the merchandise.

"I screamed, 'Stop, don't step on her, my sister is on the ground,' and nobody would listen," the woman's sister, Linda Ellzey said. "I've never seen so many people in a store at one time -- in one area. If there was a fire, nobody could've gotten out of there."

When paramedics arrived at the scene, they found the woman lying on top of the DVD player among shoppers who seemed to not even notice the unconscious woman on the floor, according to a witness.

Van Lester was airlifted to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach. Ellzey said her sister will likely remain hospitalized for days.

Time to move SC, You're the only intelligent Floridian left, run while you still can.

This is just insane, I don't shop the day after Thanksgiving, NOT ever. It's like a full moon for werewolves, only these are Human beings that turn into deranged lunatics!!

Guest Grayfox

quote:

This is just insane, I don't shop the day after Thanksgiving, NOT ever. It's like a full moon for werewolves, only these are Human beings that turn into deranged lunatics!!

and you wonder why they they call it "dark friday"???

doesnt surprise me... i used to work retail, and these people are just friggin unbelieveable... i think thats the reason i never do anything the first day... i dont go shopping on the first day of the holiday season, or on the first day of a sale, i dont go to a movie the day it comes out...

really im not surprised by this... i remember one year when the tickle me elmo was the toy of the year, a little girl was bitten by a grown up and her tickle me elmo taken away... pathetic.

tis the season!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

and you wonder why they they call it "dark friday"???

As far as I know, it's referred to as black friday. And before you guys get your knickers in a bunch it is referrring to retail store earnings put in the black(accountants use black ink in their ledgers to denote profit) and not red(accountants use red ink to denote loss) and has nothing to do with phrases like "Master" and "Slave". Sorry I couldn't resist taking a jab at that. Hah, as I type this the incident is being reported now on CNN. If I had my way, I'd rename it to Stampede Friday.

I'm still working at Target until the 15th of Dec... I had to work day after Thanksgiving and yesterday... didn't get home until 2:30AM last night from straightening up the store... was supposed to get off at 12:00AM...

Now yu all can see why Jag's"cull the herd" mentality is gaining favor. Walking over her inconscious body? please say it aint so? Why would anyone but a double digit IQ awardee go out shopping on Black Friday anyway? I just stayed home had turkey sandwiches with mayo and played video games for about nine hours with my good friend Sam Adams.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

Now yu all can see why Jag's"cull the herd" mentality is gaining favor. Walking over her inconscious body? please say it aint so? Why would anyone but a double digit IQ awardee go out shopping on Black Friday anyway? I just stayed home had turkey sandwiches with mayo and played video games for about nine hours with my good friend Sam Adams.

I could have gone for that!!

I had a 2 hour drive home from Vancouver Wa, and then I drove straight home, got everyone in the house, locked the doors, and we watched movies.

Black Friday is the day when you lock the doors and pretend that stores don't exist, because the nutsos come out and the deranged rule. You just lock yourself in and hope to goodness that if any of your friends went out in it, that they get home in one piece.

quote:

Originally posted by KreKol:

Ah, there is more to this story. Vanlester has filed 16 previous claims of injuries at Wal-Mart stores and other places she has shopped or worked.

Hah, figures and we all "Fell" for it. Damn maybe I'll sue her for taking the fun outa making fun of wallmart. Though it does bring back the issue of why Florida ranks 40th in the smartest-stupidest state survey.

quote:

Originally posted by KreKol:

Ah, there is more to this story. Vanlester has filed 16 previous claims of injuries at Wal-Mart stores and other places she has shopped or worked.

yeah, i read that in this mornings mercury news. just another person looking for a handout, so she can sit around all day livin on someone elses dollars

• 4 years later...

I work in retail and will be up and out the door about two hours before we open. And yes, someone's probably going to have issues like this.

Good times!! :)

Whoa!! You thread Necromancer you. :)

Me? I'm camping out on Amazon. This week alone I've already spent about $200 on AmazonMP3 (IMO the iTunes killer if more people *knew* about it) for my media (Zune 30GB and iPod 80GB). Now am waiting for all the deals on Black Friday since there are a ton of DVD movies (Wall-E etc) I need to get for my daughter and some Blu-Ray discs (Iron Man!) I need to pick up for my collection.

If I didn't work I would never leave the house and people could just bring me things. :)

LOL!! Join the club!! Me? I get yelled at to leave the house. Thats what happens when you've living with two extroverts. Both of them women.

10 Reasons We're Doomed: Black Friday Edition

This week alone I've already spent about $200 on AmazonMP3 (IMO the iTunes killer if more people *knew* about it)

People may not know about it in the US, but here in Canada and other countries we know about it, if only because it is full of such good deals, but isn't available outside of America.